Skunked

Waterfowl topics at their best, post here and read others views on Vermont duck hunting

Moderator: yellodog1

Skunked

Postby LBeinhaur » Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:37 am

I got skunked for the 1st time Sunday. Decided to give my blind a rest on Dead Creek and went back into the bay behind it where I see the birds going most of the time. Set up off of a point with the Mojo etc. and never saw a duck. None even flew by up high , nothing. Stayed until 10AM and gave it up. Leaving I saw about 100 ducks sitting on a pond on the refuge.
Anybody else having problems seeing birds??? How about on the lake. I want to go out on Kellog bay maube next weekend and see if there are any divers around. Any suggestions??
LBeinhaur
hunter

Re: Skunked

Postby SWG » Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:31 am

I was out on the lake in Ferrisburg on Vetran's Day. Pretty slow but managed a couple of teal. There's plenty of ducks and geese by Blodgett Beach in Burlington. Too bad you can't shoot them :no:
SWG
hunter

Postby pete/pmr » Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:48 pm

having a hard time finding them down here too! Have not been over to the lake yet,but the temperature is dropping tonight may be good hunting in the morning! Might have to set up for some ducks in the morning!About a week now, they are hiding somewhere and I have not been able to find out where down here! Have heard they are holding in deeper water,just sitting out there not doing much of anything!Have not been up there to look it over,but thats the word I am hearing!
2013 Season Totals

Canada Geese 105
Mallards 43
Woodies 31
Teal 16
widgeon 8
Blacks 11
Goldeneyes 25 "Take-em"
Buffleheads 4
Bluebills 1
snows 27
Band Count 5
pete/pmr
hunter

Postby Champney » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:44 pm

I hunted on the lake with my canoe on saturday. lots of mallards fying high and ended up shooting a mallard limit but all of them landed far then swam into the decoys. it took me 4 days to find these mallards. havent seen anything in the ferrisburg area at all either.
Champney
hunter

Postby IslandHunter » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:52 pm

We've been scouting literally statewide, and have been consistently finding the best concentrations of big ducks & geese on the big rivers & accompanying cut corn fields of the interior. I don't know if the lake birds are weary from the hunting pressure (seems particularly intense to me this year, and bird concentrations where I hunted seemed weaker than in recent years...) and moving inward, but that's where we're finding them. With regards to the current bird concentrations, I'm definitely having to put in more scouting time than usual in order to locate workable birds. I've also noticed more birds than usual using "sanctuarys" in the no-shooting zones around our urban areas.

After resting our interior fields for a couple weeks to hunt some other places, we pounded the birds this morning. The geese & mallards were coming in opening day style, and we filled-out 3 guns on geese after a first light take of 6 greenheads & one suzy. The entire show was over before 8:30am, and by then we were cold enough to call it a day. I think the freeze-up of the local stillwater was definitely a factor, in addition to having rested the fields.

Here's hoping the best is yet to come for late season on the lake...
IslandHunter
hunter

Return to Vermont Duck Hunting