Next season

Waterfowl topics at their best, post here and read others views on Vermont duck hunting

Moderator: yellodog1

Next season

Postby Burlingtonblaster » Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:21 pm

Looking for fellow waterfowl hunters for the next season. Willing to do lots of building. Shoot me a PM and we can do some preseason building and shooting. Hey can't hurt to be before the curve.
Last edited by Burlingtonblaster on Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
When people ask me what my favorite season in Vermont is, I simply reply. Duck
Burlingtonblaster
hunter

Re: Worth A Try

Postby NW_Vermont » Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:57 am

Welcome, Blaster, from a native Vermonter and UVM alum too. What's your major?

What we do is very addictive. About eight years ago, I got started by a couple of friends. After a handful of hunts I was hooked. But, due to limited space in their boat and their pursuits taking them to NY, Quebec and beyond, I got myself set up. By the way, they owe me several thousand dollars, HA! So, I was left to learn the rest on my own. This can be good and bad. The learning curve is definitely slower when you are alone or with less experienced hunters. To this day, I learn every time I go out. I was fortunate to share a damn good blind spot with them that had been used by their family for 30+ years.

This season is wrapping up of course. Don't wait until September to start thinking about duck hunting. Get a duck identification guide and study it. "Ducks at a distance" and the "other one" that is in my truck right now can be studied. When you take a duck, you can then identify it to be privy to your bag limits. Eventually you will be able to, and need to, ID them in the air. Learn the rules. Study the regular laws plus the waterfowl syllabus. Buy an inexpensive, but not the cheapest, single-reed duck call and calling DVD or CD. Practice your calling. Feel free to practice next to your hungover buddy. If you end up hunting on your own, and I encourage you to do so, as long as you know the laws and respect other nearby hunters, get out there and hunt. Make mistakes, enjoy your successes. Then there's the whole safety thing when hunting alone or with others. We'll save that for later.

Find and visit hunting spots that you learn about. You can start with State WMA's. The Forests, Parks and Recreation website has good info and maps for the WMA's. You'll find that the best ones are popular and crowded at times. Little Otter Creek in Ferrisburg is a good example. But, once the openers have passed, you will get more elbow room.

We can provide some help knowing what hunting goodies you have to work with. I know your request was to get under somebody's wing. But, do you have a boat, canoe or waders? Do you have room to store stuff at "home" or are you restricted to your UVM storage.

How's your shooting skills? Are they at a beginner level too? Get your butt to a range and shoot some clays. I know there are others, but Williston's and St. Albans' sportsman's clubs are good spots to do some shooting.

I don't know how you'd find them, but I'd be willing to bet there are other waterfowl hunters at UVM. Look for wetland-style camo on campus. And, something waaay in the back of my mind tells me there are posts from a couple of years ago from UVM students here on this formum.

There is so much more to this, but I hope others reply and help you get started. Feel free to PM me too.

NW_Vermont
NW_Vermont
hunter

Postby Burlingtonblaster » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:32 am

Thanks a lot NW_Vermont for all your input and support. Im currently in the school of Environment and Natural resources and my Major is Rec. Management. I have the essential gear but Im still lacking some equipment. I've got a waders, jacket, shotty, hat and mask but thats about it. I have my friends deks i could use mostly mallard green head gear. With a few wood ducks and others in there.(i keep all my gear at home, a gun in the dorms wouldn't go over very well) I've been doing mostly all puddle hunting taking out my canoe in the top of Dead Creek In Addison but the condition of my canoe has become a less stable over the years because i bought it used. But Dead Creek has slowed way down and I don't like going to Ferrisburg for like you said the lack of elbow room. I've checked out a lot of the WMA's online but haven't yet had a chance to explore a lot of those areas (going alone sucks). I've read up on ducks a little online and have learned to tell a part a few ducks in air like mergs flying low in packs and teals cruising fast through the sky but there is still much to learn. I'm for sure going to take your advice on getting a duck call and DVD considering i've never even tried it sure as hell cant hurt. My shotty skills arnt too bad. I've been shooting longer then hunting going to the range on lime kiln Rd in Charlotte and shooting clays with my friends but I'm no expert marksmen.
I've got 2 ducks under my belt (teal) this year but like everybody else wish it was more. I would have been 3 but i lost one in the reeds and after 2 hours of searching I just gave up.
Thanks again for your help.
When people ask me what my favorite season in Vermont is, I simply reply. Duck
Burlingtonblaster
hunter

Postby RangerX » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:55 pm

BurlingtonBlaster,

First time duck hunter this year myself. My brother in law took me out a few times this year, and I'm totally hooked... in fact, I can't stop thinking about it day by day.

I live within walking distance of a WMA, and 2 miles from another popular WMA area. I have access to remote entry on another WMA in the area as also. I plan on buying all the esssential gear this winter, along with a boat. I want to get in the most days next year as possible... if you are around next spring/summer, keep in touch... I wouldn't mind finding someone to scout spots with. I plan on building 3 blinds, so an extra hand would certainly be helpful.
RangerX
hunter

Return to Vermont Duck Hunting