New hunter...

Waterfowl topics at their best, post here and read others views on Vermont duck hunting

Moderator: yellodog1

New hunter...

Postby RangerX » Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:36 pm

Good evening Gents-

Just taking a moment to formally introduce myself...

I'm a first time duck hunter, this year. I was given the opportunity to hunt for the first time on opening day this 2009, and man... what an experience. I never pictured myself waking up at 2:30am to make it to the blind for 3:30. Nor did I ever anticipate walking 1/2 mile though heavy brush and stomping through thick mud in a 2ft deep swamp in the middle of nowhere. When all of that seemed insane... freezing my *** off for the next couple hours waiting for shooting time pretty much made up my mind... "This sucks."

Sometime around 5:45, the swamp started to "wake up." The calls from the woodies were foreign to me; I've only ever heard the sound of mallard hens and drakes... As the sun started to break the horizon, I saw flocks of birds above the tree lines. I could hear the sounds of their wings flapping above me, but could not see them.

As I load the rem 870 infront of me, I can only think: "How am I going to shoot a duck, ah...no problem, it will be like shooting skeet." (Which I had done for the first time during the summer)

I was wrong.

Once shooting time arrived, I could not believe how fast some of these ducks were moving. I felt nervous, as I did not want to hinder the performance of my brother in law and son sitting next to me. A small flock of woodies were headed right for us, and I heard the words: "Take em," I choked. I kept the safety on and watched them take down two woodies. Shortly after that, a couple teals came right at us. "Take em," I took a shot and missed.

The others hopped out of the blind to retrieve their ducks. While waiting for them to return, I noticed a small flock heading my way. I stayed still and waited in anticipation; my heart could not pump any harder. As soon as they were over the blind, I took a shot... immediatly a duck froze in mid air, wings tight and closed, she hits the water. I just took my first duck. I jump out of the blind and head over to retrieve. It was a teal.....

Since that day, I've had the opportunity to hunt 4 more times. Not having my own gear has been a limilting factor, but next year will be a different story. I am totally hooked. Even reading the posts on these forums gets the blood pumping... gah... I can't wait another year!!!!

Ok... Time to end this ramble.

As I look forward to next year, I was curious about a topic that hopefully someone here can help me understand.

-Etiquette
This is the most important thing for me. Being a new hunter, I need to understand the do's and dont's of this sport. What are the basics? I understand the earlier, the better. But what happens if you land a spot on your boat near another person's permanent blind, or you encounter another hunter moving close to the spot you are in?

I hope this is not a rediculous question. But the first thing I've been thinking about is... "who is around me" and "what are the rules"

Any help appreciated!

RangerX
RangerX
hunter

Re: New hunter...

Postby pete/pmr » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:55 am

My advise is to find your own spots,scout them out and do not tell anyone about them,(except your hunting partners),find little hard to get too spots,dig in and wait,the birds will come! If you are in a spot,and people start to crowd you or cut off your spot,what do you do? Hard question to answer,the perminent blind is easy,do not crowd them,if they are not using the blind at that time,fine,but respect thier blind,keep a distance away that you would like others to keep from you!It is a respect thing,and alot of people out on the lake do not have the respect they should,and are just out for themselves and do not care about others ,this is what you do not want to become!But this will be done too you and it is up too you to handle it as you choose,I have a bit of a temper,and am easily willing to confront people! I happen to have two hunting partners that are not so easily upset,and usually talk me down,and get me to.... "let it go",but it gets me pissed,but the truth is..... it is public water and they have a right to be there too!If you see someone set up in a bay,open water,a cove,off an island,give them that,find another place,do not ruin thier time on the hunt,it is like deer hunting,you see someone in a treestand,go away,find someplace else to hunt,being respectful of others should be a given,if you wanted to hunt there,you should have been there earlier,do not get me wrong,it is a race to get to the spots,if you put the time in souting pre season,and you have your location plugged in,get there as early as you can,if you think someone else might beat you too it!But once you see someone else there,have another spot for back up!Heck have twenty! Also what I do when I get bumped,I scout out new spots,birds are in the air,flying for a spot where they feel safe and can land and feed,look for these spots,and since everyone is in thier blinds pushing birds,you are out there seeing where they are going,now you know where to be when you get beat out!
This is what I do,and it works for me and it keeps it less stressful and I always have a back up spot to fall into! The thing is people cruise the lake and internet looking for spots where alot of shooting is going on,and then they try to beat you into those spots at a later date,so have other spots it can only be a help in your hunting experience!Find th hard spots too get too,alot of hunters are not willing to drag decoys and gear thru 18 inches of mud and 10 inches of water to set up in the dark but if you do it you will have a better experience and you will be left alone by the majority of duck hunters! :thumbsup:
2013 Season Totals

Canada Geese 105
Mallards 43
Woodies 31
Teal 16
widgeon 8
Blacks 11
Goldeneyes 25 "Take-em"
Buffleheads 4
Bluebills 1
snows 27
Band Count 5
pete/pmr
hunter

Postby RangerX » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:40 pm

Hey thanks, Pete. I already have quite a few spots in mind... some are quite known and others not so much. At this point I think my biggest problems will be building a a few blinds and finding any excuse to call out of work during the week to go... :)

After doing alot of reading on this site and the Ducks Unlimited forums, I've figured most of the etiquette out... just hoping I don't run into any jerks after I'm already setup... I'm assuming it will happen eventually though. :\ I've been eyeing a nice little duck boat for a few months now; I think I'm finally gonna pull the trigger... Can't wait for next season!
RangerX
hunter

Postby pete/pmr » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:03 am

We all run into jerks,and sometimes we are the jerks,it just happens,and you give a wave and leave! You want to try your best to show others the respect you want shown too you! Every duck hunter has bumped other duck hunters it will happen,but when you know you bumped them leave if they were there first,do not go 100 yards away from them and set up,that in my opinion is squatting,and jumping in on my hunt! That really twists me up if someone sees us set up in a cove and cuts us off! Happened out there this year and it was just rude,inconsiderate and in my opinion they are a*****es and should be shot on site!Good thing I have level headed hunting partners!!!LOL
2013 Season Totals

Canada Geese 105
Mallards 43
Woodies 31
Teal 16
widgeon 8
Blacks 11
Goldeneyes 25 "Take-em"
Buffleheads 4
Bluebills 1
snows 27
Band Count 5
pete/pmr
hunter

Postby Johnmcd » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:35 pm

amen brother :lol:
Johnmcd
hunter

Postby Champney » Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:14 pm

i can say one thing is that openong day for me is the warmest hunting day of the year. i f you think thats cold go diver hunting the last week of duck hunting. we went out when it was -14 just for 12 goldeneyes.
Champney
hunter

Postby pete/pmr » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:49 am

Champney,here is a pic for you from the last day of duck on champlain,thought you might like it,and it was some cold out there!!!!We got some goldeneyes and mergansers!

when we went to pick up decoys this is what they looked like!

this is all we got that day,out of 3 of us!!

2013 Season Totals

Canada Geese 105
Mallards 43
Woodies 31
Teal 16
widgeon 8
Blacks 11
Goldeneyes 25 "Take-em"
Buffleheads 4
Bluebills 1
snows 27
Band Count 5
pete/pmr
hunter

Postby RangerX » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:13 am

Champney wrote:i can say one thing is that openong day for me is the warmest hunting day of the year. i f you think thats cold go diver hunting the last week of duck hunting. we went out when it was -14 just for 12 goldeneyes.

Bringing this old thread back to life. I hear ya, Champney. I was out on the second to last day of the season last year and it was extremely cold. Almost got frostbite because I was not properly prepared for the wind. Pretty sure I've seen you at Maplefields; do you have a center console 20+ft jon boat type rig? If so... very nice.

Anyways, how is everyone doing this year? I've been chipping away all year long on my hunting gear and I'm finally ready. ;) Took my first two geese two weeks ago... Took the second half of next week off... man I can't wait!
RangerX
hunter

Postby NW_Vermont » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:07 am

Good stuff, Ranger.

You all set for this year? We wish you the best of luck and the best of fun. Do you have hunting partners? I enjoy hunting alone as much as the camaraderie of hunting with others.

Congrats on the goose.

NW
NW_Vermont
hunter

Postby pete/pmr » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:40 am

We have only 5 more days to wait for the opener!!! I will be on the lake Monday and Tuesday finishing up blinds,gonna be a banging day on Wednesday,ducks are gonna be flying everywhere looking for a safe place to settle down,from all the signs I have seen along the shoreline this year,looks like it is going to be some crazy out there,hopefully most of the sign owners are working until Saturday!!!!
2013 Season Totals

Canada Geese 105
Mallards 43
Woodies 31
Teal 16
widgeon 8
Blacks 11
Goldeneyes 25 "Take-em"
Buffleheads 4
Bluebills 1
snows 27
Band Count 5
pete/pmr
hunter

Postby RangerX » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:17 am

NW_Vermont wrote:Good stuff, Ranger.

You all set for this year? We wish you the best of luck and the best of fun. Do you have hunting partners? I enjoy hunting alone as much as the camaraderie of hunting with others.

Congrats on the goose.

NW

Am I ready? I think so... talk about "hooked" on waterfowl. I sold my BMW and bought a truck. Bought a boat w/ blind, bought all of my duck gear and passed this infectous disease to a good friend of mine. This is what's in the arsenal as of now.

I have a dozen woodies and 8 canada geese and a mojo on top of what is shown in this pic.

For the days I want to hunt on the water...

These are 2 of my first 4 geese ever. :)

Man, am I ready. I've been waiting for this since last December. I have a couple hunting partners, but I supposed I'll get a few lone hunting days in...
RangerX
hunter

Postby RangerX » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:19 am

pete/pmr wrote:We have only 5 more days to wait for the opener!!! I will be on the lake Monday and Tuesday finishing up blinds,gonna be a banging day on Wednesday,ducks are gonna be flying everywhere looking for a safe place to settle down,from all the signs I have seen along the shoreline this year,looks like it is going to be some crazy out there,hopefully most of the sign owners are working until Saturday!!!!

Amen... I can't wait. I'll be putting the finishing touches on my blind this weekend. I'm loving this rain we just got... my ground spot needed it BADLY.
RangerX
hunter

Postby NW_Vermont » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:26 am

+10 bonus points for buying the truck

+10 bonus points for buying the boat

+30 bonus points for dekes in your living room!
NW_Vermont
hunter

Postby RangerX » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:42 am

NW_Vermont wrote:+10 bonus points for buying the truck

LOL... My wife thinks I'm nuts. It's a great thing. :)
RangerX
hunter

Postby LBeinhaur » Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:50 am

As Michael Waddle says "WELCOME TO THE BROTHERHOOD!!!".
My front yard looks like a duck hunting yard sake right now!!

Loyd
LBeinhaur
hunter

Postby RangerX » Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:31 pm

RangerX wrote:
NW_Vermont wrote:+10 bonus points for buying the truck

LOL... My wife thinks I'm nuts. It's a great thing. :)

Ground blind is ready!

RangerX
hunter

Postby HJF » Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:53 pm

Problem is, now the blind will be under 2' of water by wednesday :eek:
HJF
hunter

Postby RangerX » Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:19 pm

HJF wrote:Problem is, now the blind will be under 2' of water by wednesday :eek:

Really? Are we supposed to get more rain? This pic was taken today... three weeks ago it was dry.
RangerX
hunter

Postby NW_Vermont » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:02 am

If that is "in" Lake Champlain, it may not be under 2 feet of water but probably pretty damn close!
NW_Vermont
hunter

Postby HJF » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:42 pm

Yeah, it was kind of a joke, seeing the lake came up 1.5' in the last 3 days.
HJF
hunter

Postby NW_Vermont » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:54 pm

I replied because nobody responded to his 9:19 post saying "Really"?

'Figgered he was new to hunting and possibly new to interacting with our Lake. The rivers are still pretty full.

Yes, really! :yes:
NW_Vermont
hunter

Postby RangerX » Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:29 am

NW_Vermont wrote:I replied because nobody responded to his 9:19 post saying "Really"?

'Figgered he was new to hunting and possibly new to interacting with our Lake. The rivers are still pretty full.

Yes, really! :yes:

LOL, thanks for the info guys... the blind is AOK. Good luck this week!
RangerX
hunter

Postby pete/pmr » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:14 am

You guys are out of control! RangerX is going hard! He caught the fever bad!!!LMAO!!!
2013 Season Totals

Canada Geese 105
Mallards 43
Woodies 31
Teal 16
widgeon 8
Blacks 11
Goldeneyes 25 "Take-em"
Buffleheads 4
Bluebills 1
snows 27
Band Count 5
pete/pmr
hunter

Postby RangerX » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:52 am

pete/pmr wrote:You guys are out of control! RangerX is going hard! He caught the fever bad!!!LMAO!!!

It's absurd how bad I got the fever. Two years ago, I had nothing... never even shot a gun.

Now I have:

Sold the BMW to buy a truck
Boat w/ blind
Ground blind
Layout blind
10 dozen various duck decoys
Mojos
60 goose floaters
110 goose shells
Remington M887 pump action
Benelli Super Black Eagle II
Breathable waders, and 1600/5mm waders on the way
3 jackets
choke kits
Turkey decoys
Turkey vest
A new bow
2 tree stands
MES electric smoker to make jerky, sausage, slim jims

That's most of it... tons of aother little misc items.

So who want's to hunt? :)

Nick
RangerX
hunter

Postby NW_Vermont » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:06 am

Note that *Wife* is not on the list. Ha!
NW_Vermont
hunter

Next

Return to Vermont Duck Hunting