New Duck boat

Waterfowl topics at their best, post here and read others views on Vermont duck hunting

Moderator: yellodog1

New Duck boat

Postby LBeinhaur » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:20 am

Just got a 1754 Grizzly with a 20 merc on it.. I want to put a blind on it.
I have been looking at the Ccabelas northern flight, avery quickset and the beaver tail blinds.
Any suggestions.

Got this so I can get out on the lake for divers and geese.
BTW, I sent an email to Dave at Dead Creek about the way the Northern part off rt 17 was unpassable after a few hundered yards last year and basically was told that's the way it is. He told me it coul;d have been floating weeds, but they seem to be growing to me. Anyway, I complained about some of the practices and draw downs and how the place seems to be managed wihout regard to the hunters and canoers etc in mind . He also advised a real draw down is scheduled for this summer . So I would imagine without a lot of rain this Fall it will be difficultto get a boat on there, even a canoe. Last time I could hardly get down through there in my canoe.

Hence the 17 ft. boat so I can hunt the lake instead...
LBeinhaur
hunter

Re: New Duck boat

Postby duckklr » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:20 pm

Think light....I have the exact same boat and have a northern flight blind on mine. I also have a 40 on the back of the boat. With all my gear, buddies gear, blind, dekes, dog, etc. some days have hard time getting on plane. If you are not going to far and not worried about plane or what not, the northern flight is the way to go. Get the one with the grass mats. To do a good job it takes four mats per side(you will have enough to cover the bow and motor). Takes only minutes to setup. Easy to take off the boat and put in a field for that sort of use as well for an extra bonus.
duckklr
hunter

Postby LBeinhaur » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:13 am

Thanks

Mostly it will be me and maybe one other person so I'm not too worried about getting up on plane real fast.
I was leaning toward the NF blind as well with the grass so that is probably how I will go.

Haven't had the boat out yet so I don't know how well the 25 will push it. Plan on doing some fishing with it this year to get used to how it handles etc.
LBeinhaur
hunter

Postby pete/pmr » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:40 am

if you need a heavy person to ride the bow to help plane out,give me a call,be more than happy to head out with you one day/or more this year!!! We really need to hook up this year to do some hunting ,geese of course!

Now one question,ever tried hunting out of kayak,I have a pungo,and want to try hunting dead creek with it,do you think this is a possibility,figure I can drag decoys behind on tag rope,and only need lanyard and gun,box of shells,think it will work?
2013 Season Totals

Canada Geese 105
Mallards 43
Woodies 31
Teal 16
widgeon 8
Blacks 11
Goldeneyes 25 "Take-em"
Buffleheads 4
Bluebills 1
snows 27
Band Count 5
pete/pmr
hunter

Postby LBeinhaur » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:47 am

Hey Pete,

We will have to get out together this year. I did get the NF w/ grass mats. Just delivered yesterday ( Wife told me to come in from the garage and not mess with until today!!!) We should hook up some day and meet each other. Maybe at the No Bridge Rest.???

I think a kayak would be great on DC. I see a couple of guys hunting in them. Seems they take about 1/2doz. deeks and stuff them up inside. I saw one guy that has a gun mount on the front of his and one of my friends brings one sometimes when we go out to the blind, he just sticks his shotgun butt between his legs sticking out in front of him. IF they do a big drawdown on DC this summer it may be the onlt way to get on the water. Last time they did that, I could barely get a canoe through and was in mud most of the time. If they draw it down and we don't get a lot of rain, I may hunt the north side of 17 this year.

Rigging the Grizzly for fishing at this point, want to start trolling for salmon and trout as soon as the ice is off.
BTW, there is a 300 ft. safety zone on both side of the former Champlain bridge until 4/10 while they are removing the stuff that fell into the water.
LBeinhaur
hunter

Postby hawkman » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:04 pm

Hey Pete,

I 've been hunting out of a kayak for about 24 years...a poke boat to be more exact. It works well when one wants to get back in those hard to reach spots. I can carry up to 14 decoys including a mojo and some duck butts. If geese are around I will replace some of the duck decoys with inflatable goose floaters. I bungee about six decoys to the stern deck.

The kayak allows one to disappear in the marsh. It is very limiting to shoot out of but it can be done. I generally take a small plywood sheet and place it in the mud. Then I sit on a small three legged stool placed on the plywood. This setup works very well and it is not uncommon to get ducks within 15 yards.

It works well in flooded timber and the 35 lb rig can easily be dragged through flooded corn and rice fields.
hawkman
hunter

Postby HJF » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:08 am

LBeinhaur wrote:Rigging the Grizzly for fishing at this point, want to start trolling for salmon and trout as soon as the ice is off.
BTW, there is a 300 ft. safety zone on both side of the former Champlain bridge until 4/10 while they are removing the stuff that fell into the water.

LB, any word on what is going to happen with the ramp under the bridge for this summer/fall?

Thanks
HJF
hunter

Postby LBeinhaur » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:22 am

From what I have heard it will be closed while they are working in the area, probably for the next year I would think.
Also there is a 300 yard safety area north and south until around the middel of April this year while they clean out the remaining stuff from the bridge demolition. The whole area around the launch is blocked off at this time. The one available just south of there is REALLY shallow so if you go in there be careful!!! You can launch at Champlain Marina for 10 bucks and that is what I will probably do if I want to go North for now.
LBeinhaur
hunter

Return to Vermont Duck Hunting