Lake Champlain Question.

Waterfowl topics at their best, post here and read others views on Vermont duck hunting

Moderator: yellodog1

Lake Champlain Question.

Postby kwacker » Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:42 am

I was wondering if someone could answer this question for me. I was invited to hunt on the property of a friend who is a none hunter, but has water front property on Champlain. It is in an area where you can hunt, I was told by someone else who does not hunt VT that you cannot hunt from the shore line on this lake that you must be in a boat or in the water. I looked through my VT regs and could not find this. Did I miss it and is this true?
kwacker
hunter

Re: Lake Champlain Question.

Postby CHSAPKS » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:13 pm

As far as I know you can hunt from shore lines on Champlain. Up north people hunt from the shore lines all of the time and never had an issue with the wardens.
CHSAPKS
hunter

Postby kwacker » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:55 pm

Thanks CHSAPKS for the info.
kwacker
hunter

Postby Champney » Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:28 pm

depends who owns it. from burlington down people hate hunters so they post there land up to the water cause its private. for an example shelburne bay, if your seen on shore the police will be called and you will have to leave or stand in the water. the land up north is mostly public land so you can set were ever you want. it just depends on where you go but most of the time of your in the water no one can say anything.
Champney
hunter

Postby kwacker » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:09 pm

The gentleman who invited me to hunt his property has 100' of water frontage, so I think that I am going to be all right as long as I stay on his piece of the shore line. He said his property is just south of a wildlife refuge and he lives in St. Albans. I ill be going up there in a couple of weeks to check things out and see what Iam getting myself into. Being used to hunting small ponds, bogs and the Conn. river, I am not sure how to handle hunting on a big lake as far as decoy spreads go, but it will good to experience this type of hunting. I really do appreciate the info from you guys and if you need some help down in the conn. valley part of the state just shoot a message and I will do my best to steer you in the right direction.
Thanks again and remember take a kid out with you every chance you get.
kwacker
hunter

Postby NW_Vermont » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:28 am

Okay, this is my neck of the woods and I sometimes hunt from a boat just off shore in the St. Albans area. Maybe I can offer s'more information.

The shorelines of St. Albans can provide very good hunting at times. The 6,000 +- acre Missisquoi National Wildlife Refuge is roughly 10 miles north of you right at the Quebec border. Do a search. It exists, in part, because it is a primo waterfowl Motel 6.

Now, you will find that Lake Champlain in this area is (regionally) big open water. Google maps/earth can help here if you know his address or road.

My big point: It absolutely is fully legal to hunt from shore or on the lake. Understand that the St. Albans shoreline has seasonal and year-round homes right on the water's edge and the shorelines are pretty populated.
Starting from youth weekend at the end of September, MOST people who live on the shoreline are used to hearing gunshots, but usually from a distance. That said...

It is good of you to first ask if hunting from shore is legal. We live in close-knit communities which brings respect for our neighbors. If at all possible, knock on your friend's neighbor's doors and let them know what you are up to come a certain time in duck season. It usually isn't a problem. You might be shooting 40 yards from some sleeping family in their home depending where your buddy lives.

Let us know what you find when you visit and get some info from your friend. Some hunters may say "It's legal, F-off"...and one could, but for most, that's not how we work up here.

I hope I'm not over thinking this, but if you get things squared away, you WILL have a good time. Other questions?

NW_Vermont
NW_Vermont
hunter

Postby NW_Vermont » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:44 am

Oh yeah, and more things to consider, and they might not apply.

Based on your location description, expect some wind/exposure/waves that you don't get on your usual small water. This isn't bad for ducks, but your dog might work hard chasing a bird downwind. Also the water gets deep very quickly (usually). Long decoy line anchors and a way to set and retrieve them may be required. You might need a boat of sorts. Then, the boat needs to be safe for the waves. And, if it is later in the season, the water can be very cold.

Food for thought.

NW
NW_Vermont
hunter

Postby CHSAPKS » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:01 am

Everything NW_Vermont said is right on the money.

Another thing to consider is when will you be hunting???? I would say you are better off hunting the second Lake Champlain opener rather than the first, only because you will have more ducks that are coming down from the north, and hunting from the lake shore you will have more action with the Blue Bills and Goldeneyes if you are in a area where they are feeding. My hunting crew and I have private access to some lake shore up north, and we have had great luck during the second opener hunting out of our layout blinds right at the waters edge. And like NW_Vermont said make sure you have a good dog.

Just set out a couple gang lines of lakers and get ready!

Hope this helps....
CHSAPKS
hunter

Postby kwacker » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:33 pm

You guys are awsome. You sound like the few guys that I hunt with. Offering advice, letting me in on things I would not have know had you not told me. One thing that I do pride myself in and that is knocking on doors. My wife and I usually spend 5 to 10 days a summer going to peoples houses that own property that i would like to hunt,getting permission, even if the property is not posted I like to ask because it does not belong to me. I have a great yellow lab who is a strong swimmer with 147 retreives last with only 1 lost duck, so I feel good about that part of going there. I have to say that 2 years ago I put a post on the NY goose web-site just asking the names of some towns that i could go to for early season geese and the last time I check, over 376 people look at the site, but not one responded. So once again I say thank you to you guys for this excellant advice and help.
kwacker
hunter

Postby CHSAPKS » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:06 am

No problem!

Good luck this fall, and keep us updated on how it went.
CHSAPKS
hunter

Postby NW_Vermont » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:02 am

Hey, Quacker.

Did you come up for a visit?
NW_Vermont
hunter

Postby pete/pmr » Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:31 pm

I was womdering isn't it the high water mark,with the lake so low this year you can actually have 30 yards of bare ground before water,at least down here, I do not know how low the water is up around St Albuns,Grand Isle,Alburge,but either way it does not matter,If you are between the High Water Mark and the water it is legal to hunt from there!Lakeside residents can only own from the high water mark inland,and can only post that land!Correct me if I am wrong?
2013 Season Totals

Canada Geese 105
Mallards 43
Woodies 31
Teal 16
widgeon 8
Blacks 11
Goldeneyes 25 "Take-em"
Buffleheads 4
Bluebills 1
snows 27
Band Count 5
pete/pmr
hunter

Postby Champney » Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:38 pm

in shelburne bay some places theres 3" of water for about 60ft out. great for fullbodys but geese will only land outside of that. on opening day someone set-up in front of someones house and the police and game warden came down.
Champney
hunter

Postby pete/pmr » Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:37 am

This is copied off the Vermont waterfowl hunting information posted on the Fish and Game webpage,certainly this is not discript enough for a judgement call,but if you understand the hunting laws,no shooting within 500 feet of an occupied dwelling,then obviously this does not apply,unless you have written permission from the owner/occupant,then it is not a problem! The other piont is the right to hunt and fish,if someone interfers with your right and you call the game warden on them,if you are in the right,they can be fined! Now if the fish and game dept starts to fine all these people that are calling the cops on hunters,this will travel thru the lake community and they will soon give up on it or try to get the laws changed! Either way,you make your piont to the ones that are being inconsiderate of your rights! I have already had people fined for this while fly fishing on the rivers in my area,because they called the cops,and when confronted by the cops I requested a warden be called and explained my situation to them,where upon they fined the person interfering with my right to recreation!If you are in the water hunt where you want,do not allow them to push you off!Get them fined!!!!

The current Lake Champlain Waterfowl Zone includes all of Lake Champlain and an additional narrow strip of shoreline in both Vermont and New York. Under Federal regulations, waterfowl seasons, bag limits, and shooting hours in the Lake Champlain Zone must be uniform throughout the entire zone.

Comments received at the meeting, as well as input and recommendations from the Vermont Fish & Wildlife Department and the New York Department of Environmental Conservation, will be reviewed by the Vermont Fish and Wildlife Board.

And this is right out of the Fish & Wildlife 2010 guide book:

Interfering with Hunters, Fishermen and Trappers: It
is illegal to intentionally interfere with someone who is
lawfully taking fish or wild animals, or to disrupt the taking
of any fish or wild animal by harassing or disturbing the fish
or animal.
2013 Season Totals

Canada Geese 105
Mallards 43
Woodies 31
Teal 16
widgeon 8
Blacks 11
Goldeneyes 25 "Take-em"
Buffleheads 4
Bluebills 1
snows 27
Band Count 5
pete/pmr
hunter

Postby Vtwaterfowler » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:45 am

you can hunt on shore as long as your not within 500 feet of a n occupied home/camp or etc. I hunt from shore all the time in missisquoi bay and no one has ever bothered me before.
Vtwaterfowler
hunter

Return to Vermont Duck Hunting