f&w waterfowl meeting?

Waterfowl topics at their best, post here and read others views on Vermont duck hunting

Moderator: yellodog1

f&w waterfowl meeting?

Postby Champney » Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:03 pm

does anybody know when the meeting is? i know the last two years it was on aug 7th or 8th. i figured it was maybe going to be in the next two weeks but theres nothing on the website.
Champney
hunter

Re: f&w waterfowl meeting?

Postby CHSAPKS » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:25 am

DATES ARE:

Aug 10th-Whitehall, NY

Aug 11th-Burlington, VT

More details on the F&W website.
CHSAPKS
hunter

Postby pete/pmr » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:30 am

This is what I got from Bill Crenshaw today!

Waterfowl Hunters,

Attached are a couple of announcements for the upcoming public waterfowl meetings next week and the September waterfowl seasons. The September seasons (Canada goose and Youth Waterfowl Hunt Days) were set by the VT Fish and Wildlife Board on July 21 and are very similar to last year.

A couple of other items of interest:

Zoning Changes: I incorrectly stated at the public meetings last year that this year is the year that we get to make changes in our waterfowl zone boundaries. It is actually next year (2011). I apologize for the misinformation. We will discuss this subject at the meetings next week. We need to let the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service know of any proposed changes (they have to approve them) by May 1, 2011.

Opening Day of Duck Season: If we follow tradition as we have since 1988, this will be a Wednesday duck season opener. If you look at the calendar for 2010 the most likely dates are October 6th and 13th. There are advantages and disadvantages to each date. If you would like to voice an opinion, send me a brief return email. It would help to know which zone you hunt the most frequently. Remember we have 60 days and are allowed only one split (two segments) in each zone. Please send any comments by Thursday, August 5th.

http://flyways.us: I think I sent this link out last year. It is a great site for waterfowl hunters looking to learn more about waterfowl population status, habitat conditions and harvest. You can also download and watch the 2010 waterfowl status video we will show at the public meetings next week.

New York Goose Control Operations – For those of you that hunt geese in NY, there has been a lot of misinformation recently about efforts in New York to control problem geese, especially around airports. One news segment stated that NY is planning on “ … killing ¾ of 250,000 birds by caging and poisoning the birds.” Attached is a response by NY Dept. of Environmental Conservation to the NY Times article that started this story.

The Vermont Fish and Wildlife Board will officially set the regular migratory game bird seasons (ducks, geese, coots, woodcock, snipe and falconry) at their regular monthly meeting on August 18th. I will email out a copy of our syllabus as soon as we have it ready.

Hope you can make one of the public meetings next week (Whitehall – Tuesday, August 10th; Burlington – Wednesday, August 11th).

Thanks,

Bill

William J. Crenshaw
Wildlife Biologist
Vermont Department of Fish and Wildlife
111 West Street
Essex Junction, VT 05452
802-879-5699
bill.crenshaw@state.vt
2013 Season Totals

Canada Geese 105
Mallards 43
Woodies 31
Teal 16
widgeon 8
Blacks 11
Goldeneyes 25 "Take-em"
Buffleheads 4
Bluebills 1
snows 27
Band Count 5
pete/pmr
hunter

Postby NW_Vermont » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:46 am

My son and I will be there!
NW_Vermont
hunter

Postby CHSAPKS » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:34 am

So............ What happened at the meeting? Anything new? Or was it just the same as years past?
CHSAPKS
hunter

Postby Wyatt1 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:59 pm

Ducks: October 6 thru October 10 reopening October 23 thru December 16; still a 6 bird limit.

Canada geese Early season opens September 7 ( 5 bird limit ); late season opens October 23 ( 3 bird limit )

Limit on Snows increased to 25

Pintail limit increased to 2

Slight change to the Brant season, but I do not recall exactly what it was.

Other than that, most everything else is the same as it was last year.
MOJO Mallards are gay
Wyatt1
hunter

Postby HJF » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:17 am

Wyatt1 wrote:Ducks: October 6 thru October 10 reopening October 23 thru December 16; still a 6 bird limit.

Canada geese Early season opens September 7 ( 5 bird limit ); late season opens October 23 ( 3 bird limit )

Limit on Snows increased to 25

Pintail limit increased to 2

Slight change to the Brant season, but I do not recall exactly what it was.

Other than that, most everything else is the same as it was last year.

Regular Canada season is set for October 20, not the 23rd
HJF
hunter

Return to Vermont Duck Hunting