Georgia boys looking to hunt in Vermont - November

Waterfowl topics at their best, post here and read others views on Vermont duck hunting

Moderator: yellodog1

Georgia boys looking to hunt in Vermont - November

Postby UGAHunter » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:43 pm

Hi! I am new to the Duckhuntingchat.com forum. It looks like there are a lot of good folks on this forum. Me and a couple of buddiesusually plan a trip each year to hunt somewhere and we've never hunted in the Northeast. I'm from Georgia, love duck hunting, upland hunting, fly fishing, you name it. I have a golden retirever, Jackson, that is on his 2nd hunting season and doing pretty well. I'm looking to duck hunt in vermont or around that area. My wife and I just had our first baby girl so funds are a little tight and I can't really afford the big-time super fancy hunting lodge stuff. Me and 2 other guys are just looking for any advice you all may have on the best way we should go about getting in the woods/water with a descent/reasonable duck guide one day and if it is easily possible to hunt grouse and trout fish on public land up there after we duck hunt.. The trick part is we all can only get off work around the first week of November. Any suggestions? Is vermont the right place for that time of year?
Thank you all for your help!

Nick
UGAHunter
Newb

Re: Georgia boys looking to hunt in Vermont - November

Postby CHSAPKS » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:19 am

Contact Matt Martin at Frontier Waterfowl. (www.frontierguideservice.com) Matt will put you on all the birds you need in the North East.

Have fun!!

Josh
CHSAPKS
hunter

Postby ronvt » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:15 pm

I lived in georgia for 8 years. Warner Robins and Marietta. My wife went to UGA for her Master's. Our season dates have not been set yet. Depending on the season dates and and the dates you plan to arrive, I would be happy to take you and your buddies at no cost. Ron
ronvt
hunter

Postby UGAHunter » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:27 pm

Hey Ron,

That's awfully nice of you. Would love to hear how some Dawgs ended up in Vermont! There are three of us wanting to get up that way the first week of November..probably the 34rd through the 7th. Not even knowing what towns, places, etc. to hunt and of course wanting to be respectful of the locals, etc. makes things tricky. We're your typical bunch of laid back guys that probably enjoyed Athens as much as you guys did. We're happy to pay you or compensate you any way that would make it worth your time. I have a started retriever that I'd bring with me too. We have decoys, etc. down here, but flying with that stuff is hard so that's why I figured I'd see what folks suggested on the message board. Seems like a knowledgeable group!
UGAHunter
Newb

Postby Wyatt1 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:08 pm

Trout season closes the last weekend in October. If you are looking for the best grouse hunting in the Vermont, that is in the northeastern part of the state. Lots of public land, as well as Timber company land that is open to the public. Be forewarned that it is BIG country with very few roads and you are just as likely to run into moose as you are grouse.
MOJO Mallards are gay
Wyatt1
hunter

Postby UGAHunter » Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:02 pm

So would a moose kick my ***? :biggrin:
UGAHunter
Newb

Postby Champney » Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:44 pm

had some pretty good mallard hunts in early november. i think you'll do good. if your in water thats touching lake champlain its most likely state owned so you can hunt anywhere and its not anybodys spot unless they have a blind. you will see alot of stakes that say blind 2010 but they dont mean anything, there put there by people who are lazy to put a blind up. the only way you'll run into a problem with locals in goose hunting feilds so you dont have to worry about that. theres lots of wmas but they get shot out in october but if you can get someone to take you out it would make it very easy. theres lots of water and ground to cover on vt.
good luck!
Champney
hunter

Return to Vermont Duck Hunting