Boat Blind Camo

Waterfowl topics at their best, post here and read others views on Vermont duck hunting

Moderator: yellodog1

Boat Blind Camo

Postby NW_Vermont » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:08 am

What do you cover your boat blinds with?

I have a boat with blind for the versatility, storage and other stuff it provides. Because my duck hunting mentors used cedars and I'm too cheap to buy camo material, cedar is what I've used for years.

Of course, your blind should blend in with the surroundings, but ironically most all of my hunting spots don't have cedar trees or even other trees nearby. I'm usually in rice/scrub brush or grassy shores. I've had good luck with the cedars as have my neighboring fixed blinds. I'll continue to use cedars.

My boat blind has a mostly open top exposing the boat or shadows in some spots, mostly around where we sit. I know this has been a downfall in years past. I was thinking of installing some roll-up camo material to close up the holes. I would do this with some heavy tan-brown colored felt with something on it to break up the flat surface.

My point: Has anybody sucessfully used cornstalks for non field-hunting camo? I could roll the cornstalks up when the covers aren't in use and they are a natural material. They don't fit with the surroundings but neither does the cedar. Functionally I think they'd work well. Oh yeah, I think I need to take any corn cobs off so I'm not "baiting", right? Is there anything your experiences that says that corn stalks aren't a good idea in this situation?

NW
NW_Vermont
hunter

Re: Boat Blind Camo

Postby CHSAPKS » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:11 am

NW,

Seeing that your boat blind will be all cedars already, I would just cut a few extra cedars this year wide enough to go across the top of your boat. It's a cheap and easy fix to your open area, this will help break up your outlines and should keep the ducks from flaring. When you are done the hunt you can just take them down and lay them in the bottom of the boat.

CHSAPKS
CHSAPKS
hunter

Postby NW_Vermont » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:24 am

Yep, I've done the loose cedars and they will remain part of my plan. Within a few weeks they get beat up pretty bad and I just replace them.

Maybe I'm trying to reinvent the wheel here, but hey, I'm thinkin'...
NW_Vermont
hunter

Postby VT_Diver-Junkie » Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:05 am

Painted her Bay Grey and have black and gray denim panels thats we put up all around the boat (Diver hunting) but we also have a lot of that military mesh that we put all around the denim and that blends so nice against the trees and leaves!!!!
Theres nothing like frostbite and gunpowder in the air!!!!
VT_Diver-Junkie
hunter

Return to Vermont Duck Hunting