Hybrid Duck Boats

Waterfowl topics at their best, post here and read others views on Vermont duck hunting

Moderator: yellodog1

Hybrid Duck Boats

Postby CHSAPKS » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:49 pm

Has anyone built one of these or had any experiences with this type of boat? My brother and I are thinking about buying some plans and building a couple. Any info would be great.

http://www.hybridduckboat.com/files/index.php?id=1

http://www.jetducks.com/layout.html

Thanks,

CHSAPKS
CHSAPKS
hunter

Re: Hybrid Duck Boats

Postby chambo32 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:52 pm

Just finished a hybrid. It is very cool to motor around in something you have made your self. They are good plans and a versatal boat. It is a 12 ft version.

chambo32
hunter

Postby Benny8 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:37 am

I built two last summer, one for me and one for my bro. They are fun to build and very light. Got my plans from "missedagain" on the DHC. My boats are 6'6" long about 42" wide and weigh about 65 lbs. Nice for marshes, ponds, streams and rivers. Here are some pics of my boats. Test floated-checking for leaks- in my swimming pool with my bro. These little boats hold a lot of weight and are very stable. Tried flipping it over and it will take on water before you can flip it over.
Benny8
hunter

Postby CHSAPKS » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:13 am

Very nice!

My brother and I just ordered a set of plans last night for the Hybrid NL, we hope to get them done before the season starts. I have got a few questions about building them.

Material cost?
How long does the build take?
Where do you buy your fiberglass? is this a special marine type?

Thanks!
CHSAPKS
hunter

Postby Benny8 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:07 pm

I think the material cost per boat was under $200. The boats took me a couple weeks to build. I did most of the work myself, the only help I needed was when it came time to fit the bow. I worked on it a little here and a little there. Material like the luan and PL Premium, and zipties were purchased at Home Depot and the Fiberglass, Resin, fiberglass cloth was purchased through US Composites. You can build two just as quick as you can build one. You just repeat the same step on the second boat. Good Luck and I look forward to seeing your completed boat. :thumbsup:
Benny8
hunter

Postby CHSAPKS » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:58 pm

Yea, we cant wait to get started on the project. The only thing that I am worried about is the glassing...... never done it before, The carpentry work will be fun. Any other tips I should know about?

CHSAPKS :beer:
CHSAPKS
hunter

Postby Benny8 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:21 pm

The glassing is not that difficult. I had never done any until these boats. If you got the dvd with the plans from missedagain, he really goes over the glassing procedure. Basically take your time and have fun. I was trying to be to critical with the fiberglassing. You will get a few bubbles here and there in the seams that you cover with the fiberglass cloth. As long as you have epoxy over it they should be fine. Big bubbles can be taken care of after they dry, just drill a small hole and pour in the epoxy. These are a fun build, even funner to hunt out of. Best Wishes. :thumbsup:
Benny8
hunter

Postby chambo32 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:45 pm

You just need to keep in mind pot life of the resin and precut your fiberglass. We used 3/4 oz mat instead of cloth. We also used polyester resin. I recomend expoy resin, it is more expensive but stronger, more flexable, and no wheres near the odor. I would used Expoxy over ployester just for the odor. The fiberglass mat holds more resin compared to the cloth. Us composites has good prices on epoxy. Good luck they are alot of fun to build and use. Broke mine in today and it was great.
chambo32
hunter

Postby chambo32 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:46 pm

oh yeah the one more thing that is not mentioned in the video is wetting the wood and letting it "Tack Up" before you put the fiberglass down.
chambo32
hunter

Postby CHSAPKS » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:10 am

You wet the wood with the resin? This is so the wood gets a chance to soak some of the resin into it first right? Before you lay any material?

Thanks!
CHSAPKS
hunter

Postby Benny8 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:52 pm

You don't have to wet the wood first. This only wastes your resin. What you do is lay your fiberglass mat on your surface and then dump some of the resin on it. You use a roller to move it around,thus wetting through the fiberglass mat onto the wood. The fiberglass is porous and the resin will go through it. You just want to make sure you wet it enough to make sure it turns the mat almost clear. On his video he shows you how to do this.
Benny8
hunter

Postby chambo32 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:24 pm

Two professional boat builders told me that method so you get resin penetration into the wood to prevent the cloth from soaking up all the resin and then leading to separation of the wood and cloth later on. for our 12 ft boats we used about 3.5 gallons of resin mostly due to the mat and two layers on the bottom of the boat. We also resined every face of wood and top exterior got a layer of Mat and resin. To make sure no damaged luan or water logging More than need but the boat came out to about 105-110lbs. about the same a four rivers 13.5 footer.
chambo32
hunter

Postby NW_Vermont » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:40 am

CHSAPKS-

We typically hunt in the same neighborhood. I think you'll enjoy your new boat. Although I have that 16 boat blind, I enjoy hunting out of my kayak with just a handful of decoys. It lets me hit spots I normally wouldn't (and couldn't) and try new spots too.

You will now have lots more flexibility.

NW_Vermont
NW_Vermont
hunter

Postby CHSAPKS » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:46 pm

This is what I am hoping for, cant wait to get started.

Did you guys glass the insides of your boats? I plan to.
CHSAPKS
hunter

Postby Benny8 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:13 pm

I glassed the inside up the sides. It is really difficult to get to once the decks and hood are attached.
Benny8
hunter

Return to Vermont Duck Hunting