Good luck to youth hunters this weekend

Waterfowl topics at their best, post here and read others views on Vermont duck hunting

Moderator: yellodog1

Good luck to youth hunters this weekend

Postby yellodog1 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:06 pm

Good luck to all those who are going out for Youth Duck Hunting htis weekend.
Hunt Vermont
yellodog1
State Moderator

Re: Good luck to youth hunters this weekend

Postby LBeinhaur » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:27 pm

Taking a young man and his Dad out Saturday and Sunday. ( yr old just got completed his HSC and wanted to go waterfowling.
Think I have a great spot for him!!!
LBeinhaur
hunter

Postby LBeinhaur » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:28 pm

That shud have said 9 year old !!!!
LBeinhaur
hunter

Postby HJF » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:41 pm

We had a great morning, my daughter started out with her first wood duck then went to work on the mallards. She was looking for an "other duck" to fill out the limit and proceeded to miss 2 different pintails, a pair of blacks and 3 bluewings..... all this after shooting really well all morning. Going back out tomorrow. Oh yeah, all this was done with a cast on a broken pinky finger, good thing she is a lefty and it is on her right hand :biggrin:

Getting ready

Dave Smith decoys on the mudflat

Hero shot

HJF
hunter

Postby VtechSkybuster » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:17 am

We took one Youth out to the blind in the Missiquoi yesterday and he shot his limit in 30 min! We were back at the launch at 7:15! 3 woodies, a Ring Ding, a Widgen and a Shoveler.
We took him and one other out this morning and they got 6 total. They had a lot of shooting and both shot almost 2 boxes but couldnt seem to knock them down! They got 3 green wings, a hen mallard, a Ring Ding and a Woody.
The birds flew ok this morning but they flew a hell of alot better yesterday!

We saw about a Dozen good sized (50- 150 birds) migratory flocks of canadians Fly over. Figures the first large amounts of birds we see is on the day after the season closes!
They might get my guns, but they're gonna get the bullets first!!
VtechSkybuster
hunter

Postby ronvt » Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:11 am

I took my eleven year old daughter out this weekend. We hunted in Missisqoui bay and saw plenty of ducks. She fired around 8 times using a single shot 410 with hevishot #4. We went home empty handed around 10:00. I could tell she was disapointed. We went back out in Sandbar that night and again she missed two ducks. At this point the disapointment was growing. Woke up early and went out to Sandbar Sunday morning. Called in a lone goose, landed in the decoys around 20 yards from the blind. She shot and wounded it, we reloaded and she finished it off, Rosie retrieved it. She had the biggest smile on her face and said "I can't wait to show mom". We packed up and went home with memories we will have forever.
ronvt
hunter

Postby NW_Vermont » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:19 am

My 10yo son and I went out both mornings. Saturday was great, with lots of birds. Sunday was slower. Took 7 birds for the weekend, his best showing yet.

Late nights and early mornings are tough for son and Dad alike. He ran out of steam mid-morning each day. Next year, now that he's older and needs less direct gun supervision, we'll take a friend along to make things even more fun.

Good stuff. Lots of fun. It's reeeaaalll tough not being able to shoot and I think everybody here knows what I mean.

That's what the 6th is for...

Cheers,

NW_Vermont
NW_Vermont
hunter

Return to Vermont Duck Hunting