How did you do?

Waterfowl topics at their best, post here and read others views on Vermont duck hunting

Moderator: yellodog1

How did you do?

Postby VT_Diver-Junkie » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:15 am

Nothing here... no ducks even came in until like 8:30 everyone was shooting all around us.... Terrible morning hope it gets better when we head back out but to not have any action on opening morning is just plain sad i'll have to wait another year for that morning when the birds jack right into the decoys without even wondering if there real or not.... Hope you all did better then us...
Theres nothing like frostbite and gunpowder in the air!!!!
VT_Diver-Junkie
hunter

Re: How did you do?

Postby SwampdonkeyVT » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:22 pm

We had a great morning, 4 limits of woodies, two bands... Not a mallard or black duck seen, which is unusual for opener. We were on Dead Creek... A long ways from anyone else... That is as specific as I dare get. Best of luck to everyone who can hunt this weekend! I'll be working. Currently suffering at work, not enough sleep.
SwampdonkeyVT
hunter

Postby duckin-A » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:57 pm

3 mallard drakes, 1 hen mal......2 pintain hens, 1 blk hen. and a bunch of missed opps! :beer:
IMG_4456.JPG
[attachment=0]
" I spent all my money on Liquor & Women,
and the rest I just wasted"!!!
duckin-A
hunter

Postby Lavman » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:18 am

Nice work Duckin! I have to work all week but I am going to give her hell all weekend! :beer:
Lavman
hunter

Postby VT_Diver-Junkie » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:44 am

Just got back from day 2 lots of ducks in the river and we both got our 1st ducks of the season! My dad got a GW Teal and I got a male Woodie :) Just cooked the tine tenderloins in a pan with butter and Montreal steak seasoning!!! Can't wait to eat the rest later tonight!!! Had a blast even in the pouring rain
Theres nothing like frostbite and gunpowder in the air!!!!
VT_Diver-Junkie
hunter

Postby magogwhacker » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:43 pm

We shot 11, but only retrieved 8 because the retriever is out of service with a cut pad for another week or so. Just goes to show how important a good retriever is.

We had 1 ringer, 1 gw teal, 1 black, and 5 mallards. All the ducks except the ringer were lawn darts...desperately skinny birds.
What? There's open water? Its not cold enough.
magogwhacker
hunter

Postby chambo32 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:08 pm

good opener

9 mallards, 3 teal and 3 woodies

chambo32
hunter

Postby RangerX » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:56 pm

did great both days... mixed bags including mallards, blacks, teal, woodies, gadwalls, pintails... two days off work well worth it.

Can't wait for the weekend already...
RangerX
hunter

Postby duckin-A » Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:19 am

Ranger X......do you have any pictures of all these different ducks??
nice variety .......anything worth mounting?
duckin-A
hunter

Postby LBeinhaur » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:49 am

Did Ok, got a couple of ducks each day, mostly woodie but a few mallards and a blue wing teal thrown in.
Was able to hunt Wednesday to Satuday morning.

Word of warning to those that have wind activated spinners, we left ours out on Friday evening and the heavy wind somehow spun the wings off of one of them. Figure that the duck slipped off the ball ( Edge Exp. Top Gun) and one wing caught on the pole and the wind spun the other one off allowing the other wing and the pole to drop in the water as well. We looked but due to the muddy water we couldn't find the wings. BTW the wings CAN be ordered from Edge but the shipping is terrble. I paid 14.00 and change for 2 sets and 15.50 for shipping!!! We will be taking these in every time now!!!
LBeinhaur
hunter

Postby VtechSkybuster » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:04 am

We have a large stationary in Goose Bay in the Missiquoi. We shot five limts on Opening Day. It took us almost all day but we stuck it out and it was worth it! Great way to start the season.
We shot 12 on Thurday with 4 guys and 12 again on Friday with 3 guys. We only hunted the mornings and evenings so if we had stayed all day we prolly coulda scratched out a few more.
Yesterdy we shot 2 but three of us only hunted until 9. It was very sunny and we missed a few shots we prolly should not have!
I took the morning off this morning but am gonna hit it again this afternoon. I just spoke to my hunting buddy and he said the Ring necks are coming into the Refuge like crazy this morning.
It seemed like the birds that were here got educated quick but the strong north wind may have pushed some new birds in! Hopefully we get a good shoot tonight. If not no big deal, we are gonna start hittin the beaver ponds in the morning.

Can you say Ring Necks? Opeing days shoot, the fifth guy had to head out from the launch so he couldnt be there for the picture.

Ugly Bunch of Dudes!
They might get my guns, but they're gonna get the bullets first!!
VtechSkybuster
hunter

Postby duckin-A » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:04 pm

way to go young Dudes........the sea ark in the background , what size motor on that boat and if that is your duck boat what kind of blind do you have or is it homemade???
duckin-A
hunter

Postby RangerX » Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:58 am

duckin-A wrote:Ranger X......do you have any pictures of all these different ducks??
nice variety .......anything worth mounting?

The woodie I got must have been young because his colors weren't all that developed. Nothing worth mounting in my opinion...

The weekend was a bit crowded... and got really slow after the first hour. Time to take the boat out and get in some lake action.
RangerX
hunter

Postby Burlingtonblaster » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:14 am

First bag limit. Only took 2 seasons... Guess 3ed time is a charm :biggrin:
Attachments
a.jpg
When people ask me what my favorite season in Vermont is, I simply reply. Duck
Burlingtonblaster
hunter

Postby Champney » Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:19 pm

looks like everyone did good! i couldnt make it out all opening week due to i just enlisted in the marines and its a ton of paper work and screening. finally done and ready for the next opener before i leave in march.
Champney
hunter

Postby VtechSkybuster » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:07 pm

The boat is the guys in the back bent over. Its a 176x with a 60 merc 4 stroke bigfoot. I have an 1860p with a 60 merc 2 stroke bigfoot. They are pretty even but i prefer the 2 stroke but wish I had a larger motor. Neither have blinds on them, I have all the materials to put an aluminum one on mine but havent gotten it to the welder to get it done! Im hoping to have it done for late season divers.
We shot some real nice woodies on the Missiquoi river tonight. Knocked down all four that dieked up, but one dove under some logs and weeds and we dint get it.
They might get my guns, but they're gonna get the bullets first!!
VtechSkybuster
hunter

Postby Lavman » Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:57 am

Saturday after the hunt (me on left, Dad on right):

Another pic of the ducks:

Lavman
hunter

Return to Vermont Duck Hunting