Interior duck season

Waterfowl topics at their best, post here and read others views on Vermont duck hunting

Moderator: yellodog1

Interior duck season

Postby duckin-A » Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:01 pm

so now that we have scared the hell out of the Champlain zone dux for the past 4 days who is gettin some interior zone dux????
this is a pic of Monday AM harvest in central VT UDL :beer:
Attachments
IMG_4458.JPG
" I spent all my money on Liquor & Women,
and the rest I just wasted"!!!
duckin-A
hunter

Re: Interior duck season

Postby RangerX » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:36 pm

I have access to a one acre beaver pond... I noticed geese and ducks there during the spring turkey season... I'll probably head over there a coulple nights after work... maybe early before work as well. Is one acre too small you think? I'm hoping to see something... I'm guessing Arrowhead will be pretty busy so I'm going to bag that idea.
RangerX
hunter

Postby chambo32 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:29 pm

Does anyone think that the Dynamic of enough hunters keeping the birds moving is an important variable. Lots of days after the opener the ducks won't move (IE Saturday).
It has always made me wonder that if their was enough hunters. Obviously places like the Mississiquoi and Sand bar the birds can sit in the refuge and not get pressured. But public places where hunters can get into most of the potholes to keep them bouncing.

Any thoughts????
chambo32
hunter

Postby Lavman » Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:54 am

We'll be after 'em on Saturday and Sunday this weekend then back to the CZ for some more fun. Is the migration kicking in?
Lavman
hunter

Postby NW_Vermont » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:30 am

ditto Lavman.

and, I've been watching a beaver pond that is holding hundreds, dare I say 1,000 geese, but no ducks.
NW_Vermont
hunter

Postby pete/pmr » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:42 am

I do not know about everyone else but I have not hit any big ducks,(mallards or blacks),but have pounded the woodies and teal so far on the interior,and there are alot of others hitting the same spots as I am and the birds are doing alot of jumping around,finding flooded timber to hid out in,but if you can sit and wait them out,well you can have some good shooting,I have a ten month old lab who just cannot wait it out like that,so I have to do alot of walking and jump shooting! But it is all good!I would be willing to bet I saw over 150 woodies flying around yesterday! Between bow hunting and duck hunting I am pretty wiped out and am giving it a break today,but will be back out tomorrow,suppose to be rainy and overcast tomorrow! Good day for ducks! :clapping:
2013 Season Totals

Canada Geese 105
Mallards 43
Woodies 31
Teal 16
widgeon 8
Blacks 11
Goldeneyes 25 "Take-em"
Buffleheads 4
Bluebills 1
snows 27
Band Count 5
pete/pmr
hunter

Postby RangerX » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:19 am

pete/pmr wrote:I do not know about everyone else but I have not hit any big ducks,(mallards or blacks),but have pounded the woodies and teal so far on the interior,and there are alot of others hitting the same spots as I am and the birds are doing alot of jumping around,finding flooded timber to hid out in,but if you can sit and wait them out,well you can have some good shooting,I have a ten month old lab who just cannot wait it out like that,so I have to do alot of walking and jump shooting! But it is all good!I would be willing to bet I saw over 150 woodies flying around yesterday! Between bow hunting and duck hunting I am pretty wiped out and am giving it a break today,but will be back out tomorrow,suppose to be rainy and overcast tomorrow! Good day for ducks! :clapping:

Great to hear man! Nothing wrong with taking a day off because you're tired from hammering them... that's a problem I would certainly like to have.
RangerX
hunter

Postby duckin-A » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:39 pm

wed & thurs
IMG_4463.JPG
duckin-A
hunter

Postby NW_Vermont » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:06 am

Arrrgg! I jealous!

I worked my butt off getting to a remote wetland yesterday, set out dekes and sat in my sweat watching only a couple geese swim by.

There's a fine line between a discovered honey hole and a unproductive sucky swamp. We'll keep trying!

NW.
NW_Vermont
hunter

Postby RangerX » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:35 am

duckin-A wrote:wed & thurs
IMG_4463.JPG

Very nice.
RangerX
hunter

Postby pete/pmr » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:35 am

Nice to see someone is smoking those greenheads!I am headed out for goose this morning and the ducks hav been hanging with the geese so maybe I will end up with acouple of those greenheads myself! :thumbsup:
2013 Season Totals

Canada Geese 105
Mallards 43
Woodies 31
Teal 16
widgeon 8
Blacks 11
Goldeneyes 25 "Take-em"
Buffleheads 4
Bluebills 1
snows 27
Band Count 5
pete/pmr
hunter

Postby duckin-A » Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:58 pm

thanks Pete....hope you got some today.
I only had one goose that wanted to play after watching a bunch of small flox go by!!!1 but the dux were interested!!
IMG_4470.JPG
duckin-A
hunter

Postby pete/pmr » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:07 am

I limited out on geese,and got 2 mallards drake and a hen! Gonna try to hammer more ducks today,and geese if they decide to come back!

2013 Season Totals

Canada Geese 105
Mallards 43
Woodies 31
Teal 16
widgeon 8
Blacks 11
Goldeneyes 25 "Take-em"
Buffleheads 4
Bluebills 1
snows 27
Band Count 5
pete/pmr
hunter

Postby duckin-A » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:09 pm

good job Pete.......I am going tomorrow AM......hoping for some geese! good hunting 2 U!!
duckin-A
hunter

Return to Vermont Duck Hunting