Looking for a place to hunt

Waterfowl topics at their best, post here and read others views on Vermont duck hunting

Moderator: yellodog1

Looking for a place to hunt

Postby Hunter From WI » Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:23 pm

Well it's a new year guys and I am a year older and my lab is now 3.

We have yet to find a place to hunt ducks and geese where I feel comfortable taking her as I still don't know the layout of the land.

I'm in Jeffersonville, but would hunt almost any place for a chance to see my dog work.

Thank you for your help and time.
Hunter From WI
hunter

Re: Looking for a place to hunt

Postby NW_Vermont » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:19 am

Hi and welcome to DHC.

You haven't seen a bunch of responses because nobody will say "Hey, I've had excellent luck at Lucky Pond for years, you should try there!". Competition for good spots is very high.

You need to put your feet and paws on the ground and just try places. Instead of going into unfamiliar places in the pitch dark of the morning, hunt in the afternoons at these places. You can then return with confidence in the dark of morning. You need to try different places. My experience shows that most spots just don't work out but look (scout) for duck activity in your travels.

I have no idea whatsoever, but the Lamoille River and it's backwaters should produce ducks just like any other river around us.

You need to put in some legwork...all year 'round, not two weeks into the season.

This probably doesn't help much but should provide some prospective.

Let us know how you do.
NW_Vermont
hunter

Postby SWG » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:11 pm

All the state WMA maps and descriptions are at: http://www.vtfishandwildlife.com/wma_maps.cfm

Google Earth is also an excellent way to scope out an area and access thereto. As suggested, try out a few spots in the daylight. Good luck!
SWG
hunter

Postby Vtwaterfowler » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:28 am

don't bother hunting in Jeff... There are ducks around for the first two weeks of the season and once they get shot at, only heaven knows where they go. Geese are a different story. If you are up for traveling 45 minutes to an hour away, you can find some decent hunting around the lake or down south by dead creek / otter creek areas. but as already said, put your feet on the ground and cover some area. It's the best way. :wink:
Vtwaterfowler
hunter

Postby pete/pmr » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:15 pm

It is all about the scouting!!! Day time ,night time,mornings,every day of the year you scout,you may not be able to hunt but you see duck,geese whatever the quarry,and you make a mental note,oh ducks here,geese here,just keep you eyes open and see where they want too be,talk to the local farmers,see who is seeing what around,ask for permission to hunt thier properties,all I am saying is if you do not put the time in nobody is going to hand you the spots,because they have put the time in,it has cost them to learn these spots! I know I spend every day looking for new spots,chasing the geese, ducks, and the spots they want to be in change almost weekly,as corn is getting cut,fields are getting turned over,food sources are changing daily,you have to keep up with this if you want to stay in the birds! Right now there are alot of flooded fields,that is where I would look! All this rain,I would be looking into any flooded timber,all the little wet spots along the rivers! Food is important right now,they are all packing it on for the winter and migration,hit the food sources, close to a water source!If not both! Good luck and put the time in,there is still time to scout, and possibly securing permission, to hunt certain lands in your area!
2013 Season Totals

Canada Geese 105
Mallards 43
Woodies 31
Teal 16
widgeon 8
Blacks 11
Goldeneyes 25 "Take-em"
Buffleheads 4
Bluebills 1
snows 27
Band Count 5