Where did they go?

Waterfowl topics at their best, post here and read others views on Vermont duck hunting

Moderator: yellodog1

Re: Where did they go?

Postby HJF » Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:09 pm

Burlingtonblaster wrote:damn. Looks like a fun morning!

You mean nice 2 days, top was Saturday, bottom was Friday :thumbsup:

Ranger X real nice wigeon, saw a real wall hanger on friday but would not come in
HJF
hunter

Postby RangerX » Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:18 pm

HJF wrote:

Ranger X real nice wigeon, saw a real wall hanger on friday but would not come in

Damn! That's two days of birds like that? Right on man! :beer:

Are you using goose floaters to bring those big boys in? I have 8 full body floaters and I always have them on the boat; I don't often use them because I've never been able to bring any geese in when I see them...

I was a bit surprised with the Wigeon...a bit juvenile, but still nice to have in the bag. I actually sent one of the Mallards to the taxidermist. I folded him, but I have no idea where I actually hit him. There isn't a single nick on the bird... he's in MINT condition with full color and three curls in the tail. I'm guessing my big ulgy mugshot must have scared him to death. :smile:
RangerX
hunter

Postby HuntsCTRiver » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:35 pm

Ranger, nice work on the widgeon! I would love to get one of those... :thumbsup:
HuntsCTRiver
hunter

Postby Vtwaterfowler » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:55 am

Nice job guys! I don't blame you for not wanting to give out spot! :wink:
Vtwaterfowler
hunter

Postby gmannn » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:57 pm

For the first time ever we got two widgeon on maggog this year. A real rarity for us. They come in as singles and my guess is they get separated from the rest and are off course. One pintail also this year which we don't see very often.
gmannn
hunter

Postby RangerX » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:10 pm

gmannn wrote:For the first time ever we got two widgeon on maggog this year. A real rarity for us. They come in as singles and my guess is they get separated from the rest and are off course. One pintail also this year which we don't see very often.

How's magog been? I hunted in Newport when the Champlain Zone shut down... it was a bit slow at that time. We got a few bluebills at South Bay and Johns River... but it was pretty slow other than that.
RangerX
hunter

Postby gmannn » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:49 pm

Magog has been ok. Can't say it is ever really hot like the champlain water shed and we usually have to work for our ducks but all in all the freezer is filling up. Always getting some good shooting in. The whistlers have been down early and late season seems to be shaping up. Some ring necks early and scaup are decoying nicely.
The guys that got limits on first weekend were the younger crew who Wade up to their chests in the back water. Also the high water sent the ducks off the south bay and other swamps in a big way. Water only recently going down as they save it for electric power in Magog. I live a mile from the border on the east shore so I get out and pick up a few in the mornings before work. I am little spoiled with 50 degree weather and late season divers.
Cut 'em
gmannn
hunter

Postby HJF » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:57 pm

RangerX wrote:
HJF wrote:

Damn! That's two days of birds like that? Right on man! :beer:

Are you using goose floaters to bring those big boys in? I have 8 full body floaters and I always have them on the boat; I don't often use them because I've never been able to bring any geese in when I see them...

Yes we run goose floaters, anywhere from alot to a few....depending on the location
HJF
hunter

Postby RangerX » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:25 pm

No posts for two days? Hunting must be good! :)

I'm hoping for a good weekend... this cold weather might help, no?
RangerX
hunter

Postby ronvt » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:32 pm

Just got back from SE Ontario. In 10 guided trips, this was the best. There are a ton of birds still in Quebec and Ontario. They just started to cut the corn in Ontario and we must have seen thousands of ducks, mostly mallards and blacks with others being mixed in. We hunted over soy beans for 3 days straight. The goose population is the most I have ever seen. Barring a deep feeze I think the best is yet to come.
ronvt
hunter

Postby pete/pmr » Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:22 pm

HJF that pic gave up your spot too me but I do not care about trying to horn in,but it is a nice spot for sure,we are just up from you,Rick and I have a spot similar to yours,we just do not want to kill ourselves getting into that spot of yours!Is the water still high enough to get in there?
2013 Season Totals

Canada Geese 105
Mallards 43
Woodies 31
Teal 16
widgeon 8
Blacks 11
Goldeneyes 25 "Take-em"
Buffleheads 4
Bluebills 1
snows 27
Band Count 5
pete/pmr
hunter

Postby ronvt » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:39 pm

Thousands of mallards in sandbar. Good luck!
ronvt
hunter

Postby RangerX » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:40 pm

ronvt wrote:Thousands of mallards in sandbar. Good luck!

Thousands? I live down the road from the Sandbar... have not seen thousands of anything.... couple hundred bluebills... but mallards? Damn.
RangerX
hunter

Postby RangerX » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:42 pm

Another fun day... two more wigeons...

RangerX
hunter

Postby ronvt » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:52 pm

Took photos Friday on the north side. There were more mallards between 3:45-4:20 then I have ever seen, including the return migration in the spring. Went back today, and they are gone. The mgmt area froze over. I hope somebody got into them. Things slow on the missisquoi today. Did have a coot decoy. Winded up with a greenhead and a coot. First one I have seen in the Missisqoui.
ronvt
hunter

Postby Wyatt1 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:01 pm

There was still 800-1000 mallards loafing in the creek on the north side of the Sandbar yesterday. The trouble is that they are content to stay put due to all the rice and the protection that the refuge provides. Other than getting the hell out of 'Dodge', they have no reason to leave the management area. They did seem very nervous because when I pulled my truck over and got out to take some pictures, even though I was 200 yards away, they all got up and put a bit more distance between us. I tried again about an hour later and the exact same thing happened.

We have got some warmer weather coming, so that should open back up the potholes and marshes that froze over last night.
In the mean time, there are a decent amount of divers to be had.
MOJO Mallards are gay
Wyatt1
hunter

Postby RangerX » Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:04 pm

good luck on those mallards guys...
RangerX
hunter

Postby ronvt » Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:10 pm

Went out yesterday and shot one black duck. There were still a few birds in the missisqoui. Thought I would have better luck today so I went back. Big mistake. Saw one group of divers and one black duck. Heard very little shooting. The temp was 20 with no wind and the refuge areas froze. By 9:00 am there was around an 1/2 of ice everywhere, including the dekes that did not have motion. I heard around the first 100 feet of goose and gander skim coated. I am now switching over to divers. With this calm south wind, I have seen little flying over the lake today.
ronvt
hunter

Postby Champney » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:10 pm

suprised that no ones hitting out there like i am. went out sunday broke a hole in the ice and shot a limit in a half hour with ducks still jacking in. went back monday and did the same in a hour. went out today and all the swamps and potholes are unfrozen and shot 4 mallards and a black by 6:50am. it felt like opening day. going back out tomorrow and all weekend untill they get educated again. must of saw 400 ducks by 8am.

3 days: 12 mallards, 3 blacks, 1 gadwall : all solo hunts in canoe

hope someone else is having the same luck out there!
Champney
hunter

Postby HotDog » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:20 pm

I'll be going out sunday at the earliest. Hoping to see what you've been seeing.
WTN10 wrote:
"Why do you assume I'm a genius? Have you ever considered that I'm average and that you're retarded?"
HotDog
hunter

Postby RangerX » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:04 am

Nice work Champney... keep pounding them.
RangerX
hunter

Previous

Return to Vermont Duck Hunting