The HJF Annual Youth Deer Season Thread

Waterfowl topics at their best, post here and read others views on Vermont duck hunting

Moderator: yellodog1

The HJF Annual Youth Deer Season Thread

Postby HJF » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:40 pm

Well the 2010 youth deer season has come and gone, and here is this years story about my 10 year old daughter. It has been a tough deer year around our hunting area, there has been a big construction project in the exact same place she has shot her 2 previous deer.

See here
viewtopic.php?f=60&t=107961

and here
viewtopic.php?f=60&t=77221

So we were off to find some more places to hunt for the weekend. One of my best friends is a big bow hunter and has a few food plots in the area....of course go ahead and bring her over there. We hunted the morning and evening of Saturday without seeing a deer, Sunday morning ...again, nothing, a 10 year olds paitence level gets kind of thin at this point. Sunday evening brings us to the food plot down the street from home, that we hunted Saturday morning. Get on stand at 3pm and wait, 4:05 rolls around and I see a doe coming out at 40 yards to our left, I tell my daughter to get ready but she is having trouble swinging hard to the left (she is a lefty). I ask her if she has it, and a "I think so" comes from her. Well "kill it" I say.....BANG! deer looks at us and bounds off, no sign of a hit.
We proceed to go to the shot area and no hair/ blood.....nothing but tracks. 10 year old goes from top of the world to bottom of the floor in about 5.3 seconds. :sad:

"Don't worry honey, we will go back to the stand and wait....we have plenty of time"
"I missed, it scared everything in the area, no more will come back"

Now this is coming from a kid who has shot close to 1000 rounds of ammo this summer out of everything from her own AR-15 to her shotgun....she was bummed! :sad:

Legal shooting time is coming quickly, she looks to the right and says "Daddy there is a deer!" I put the binocs on it and say "it is a small one, do you want to shoot it?"
She didn't say "Hell yes!" but it was close.
Last edited by HJF on Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:50 am, edited 3 times in total.
HJF
hunter

Re: The HJF Annual Youth Deer Season Thread

Postby HJF » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:59 pm

Page 2, again, trying to put up a long post screws up your typing.

Where was I....... :huh: We have a deer standing 30 yards away looking right at us, daughter can see the vertical crosshair on the white throat patch, followed it down and centered it up where the neck meets the chest and "KAPOW!" the 55 grain Barnes TSX bullet rips into the chest......all I see in the binocs is 4 feet going ass over tea kettle. Dead right there, no kicking or nothing.

Hugs all around!!! :beer: Quick check of my phone.... 3 minutes before the end of legal shooting time.

I may not be the biggest deer in the woods, but all of us are super proud of her and it will eat real good. She is really happy and has no regrets. Fresh venison on the grill Thursday.

As an aside, in her 5th grade class there were 6 deer and a bear taken this weekend. A 10 point, 6 point, spike, and 3 does....there still is a future in hunting down here, not bad for 44 kids :bow: Congrats to all the kids :thumbsup:
HJF
hunter

Postby Lavman » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:20 am

Great story!! Very happy for you all, looking forward to taking my kiddos in a couple years. They are in BB gun training now :beer:
Lavman
hunter

Postby LBeinhaur » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:47 am

It's wonderful to see a young hunter being successful. She will have a lifetime of memories from that day!!
Great job bringing a youngster into the fold.
LBeinhaur
hunter

Postby RangerX » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:54 am

Good stuff dude... and great story!
RangerX
hunter

Postby HJF » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:16 pm

Found this little gem just under the hide near the right rear leg, pretty neat.

HJF
hunter

Postby RangerX » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:19 pm

Wow... right on.
RangerX
hunter

Return to Vermont Duck Hunting