Lower Lake

Waterfowl topics at their best, post here and read others views on Vermont duck hunting

Moderator: yellodog1

Lower Lake

Postby LBeinhaur » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:07 pm

Took a trip down to the Lake South of the Former Bridge and it looks to be frozen right across to NY. only place I saw with open water was a few hundred yards either side of the ferry. Looks like it might be open farther north but couldn't tell for sure.
Did not see any waterfowl at all.
LBeinhaur
hunter
 
Posts: 121
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2005 2:06 am
Location: Addison, Vt


Re: Lower Lake

Postby Champney » Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:12 pm

i heard that too. i was ice fishing up north today and took a trip around. theres only a couple ramps open if you like to shoot just mergs and educated whistlers. also the ny side of alburg is open lots a birds on the shore there. the only place ive seen and heard of big birds being and shot is shelburne bay and sometimes shelburne beach.
Champney
hunter
 
Posts: 233
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:03 pm
Location: Champlain Valley, VT

Re: Lower Lake

Postby HJF » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:40 pm

Champney wrote:i heard that too. i was ice fishing up north today and took a trip around. theres only a couple ramps open if you like to shoot just mergs and educated whistlers. also the ny side of alburg is open lots a birds on the shore there. the only place ive seen and heard of big birds being and shot is shelburne bay and sometimes shelburne beach.



Educated strange looking whistlers :biggrin:

Image
User avatar
HJF
hunter
 
Posts: 230
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:13 am
Location: Rutland, VT

Re: Lower Lake

Postby Champney » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:40 pm

nice job. going back out tommorow for divers. there not educated when you can get to islands or spots with a boat. we hammered the last 6 days last year shooting all limits. this year dont have a boat so its all walk ins and the whisters all now to stay away from those points now.
Champney
hunter
 
Posts: 233
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:03 pm
Location: Champlain Valley, VT

Re: Lower Lake

Postby chambo32 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:00 pm

HJF: Sweet Barrow. Are you going to get it mounted? Was that this weekend?

Sunday went well despite being so calm. Had to move a few times to keep them interested. Like a switch they started flaring to our layout boats. Moved to shore and then they decoyed perfectly. They seem like dumb birds some days and then other days they are more weiry than Mallards. Go figure.

Lost my patience chasing one the bird in the middle of the pic that kept diving close to the boat :no:

All and all a good last day. 9 birds.

Image
chambo32
hunter
 
Posts: 148
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:20 pm
Location: Huntington

Re: Lower Lake

Postby HJF » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:14 pm

chambo32 wrote:HJF: Sweet Barrow. Are you going to get it mounted? Was that this weekend?

Sunday went well despite being so calm. Had to move a few times to keep them interested. Like a switch they started flaring to our layout boats. Moved to shore and then they decoyed perfectly. They seem like dumb birds some days and then other days they are more weiry than Mallards. Go figure.

Lost my patience chasing one the bird in the middle of the pic that kept diving close to the boat :no:

All and all a good last day. 9 birds.

Image



Actually member here "Mossy" shot it friday, he also got one the last day of 2008 and yes he is going to have this one mounted also. A bummer was we had another drake in the decoys saturday as we were tying the boat off and he got away :sad: but I killed a hen Barrow's monday morning :biggrin:

I will agree they can be sooooo stupid at times, and so smart at others
User avatar
HJF
hunter
 
Posts: 230
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:13 am
Location: Rutland, VT

Re: Lower Lake

Postby mossy » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:12 pm

Those damn Barrows....Now I have to drum up the funds to put this one on the wall...Say cheese little guy...this one might have to go in your room!!
Attachments
IMG_5038 (2).jpg
Dont shoot doubles...Dont shoot hens...Don't jump shoot ducks in the deeks...Don't count your kills...
User avatar
mossy
hunter
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:39 pm
Location: Rutland

Re: Lower Lake

Postby HJF » Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:47 pm

mossy wrote:Those damn Barrows....Now I have to drum up the funds to put this one on the wall...Say cheese little guy...this one might have to go in your room!!


Kids and their Barrow's :biggrin: Boy was that a while ago...........

Image
User avatar
HJF
hunter
 
Posts: 230
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:13 am
Location: Rutland, VT

Re: Lower Lake

Postby dukk » Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:37 pm

New member to the site, although I have enjoyed your posts. Now that my season is over, I will need some help getting through the next number of months. Hit champlain the last few days. Today saw hundreds of birds
dukk
hunter
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:37 pm


Return to Vermont Duck Hunting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests