Deer vs. Coyotes

Waterfowl topics at their best, post here and read others views on Vermont duck hunting

Moderator: yellodog1

Deer vs. Coyotes

Postby duckin-A » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:22 pm

I think the deer have been taking a bad hit this winter with all the deep snow against the coyotes. while hiking and talking with other hikers or hunters where i take my dogs there are more sightings of Deer parts than ever. My dogs will go off trail and come back with Deer parts. SO......the state F&G while managing the deer heard with this and that regulations, does anyone think they should put a bounty on coyotes to maybe stimulate more predator hunting in VT?????? i was talking with a guy recently who was bushwacking on East Mt in Mendon and came up on 8 Coys ripping a deer apart. he had no gun so quietly slipped outta there!! thats probably the only real way to thin them out!!! BOUNTY$$$$....... your thoughts are appreciated.
" I spent all my money on Liquor & Women,
and the rest I just wasted"!!!
duckin-A
hunter

Re: Deer vs. Coyotes

Postby Champney » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:43 am

the tournaments they had for coyotes was great idea untill the east coast people had to move up here and put a stop to it. are farmers around here carry guns in there tractors and trucks so when they do see one it doesnt get away. i agree its hurting the deer hurd bad
Champney
hunter

Postby VtechSkybuster » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:46 am

It sounds like a good idea to me. I drive from Swanton to Burlington on 89 everyday and it seems like theres a fresh kill almost everyday. Id almost say comparable to the amount of deer kills.
They might get my guns, but they're gonna get the bullets first!!
VtechSkybuster
hunter

Postby CHSAPKS » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:07 pm

Before last weekend the deer were fine in the woods in my opinion. The problem the deer have now, is that the coyotes can walk on top of the snow. This makes it a problem for the deer. Let's hope it warms up soon......
CHSAPKS
hunter

Postby Lavman » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:08 am

Spring will be here soon, deer are gonna have to continue to hang tough. Agreed the coyotes are a powerful force against the deer. Maybe now that the yotes can walk on the crust they'll get some turkeys and give the deer a break.
I pop coyotes whenever the opportunity arises.
Lavman
hunter

Postby pete/pmr » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:30 am

The coyote hunt that takes place in Shoreham Bridport every year is still going on,it is schedule to happen pretty soon,but that does not really help alot of the states population of coyotes,but what we need is more predator hunters state wide! I had a deer I hit on the saturday before the close of muzzleloader,it was about ten minutes before legal shooting closed,and when we went to track the deer,(a total of twenty minutes later)we found coyote tracks on the blood trail,not 80 yards from my treestand,and then a spot where the deer and coyote went at it and then the deer ran another 200 yards and kept on going because it was jacked up on survival mode because this coyote was still on its trail,we found the deer about 400 yards away,with a coyote chewing on it,and heard more coming,so I got a deer and a coyote that night!They were yipping and howling all around us as we stood there gutting the deer(what was left of it) total time that passed 2 1/2 hours,deer was chewed up pretty good,both hind quarters we eaten on,so they were wasted,I ended up with two front shoulders and 1 3/4 back straps!And a dead coyote I wasn't going to eat!Kill'em all!
2013 Season Totals

Canada Geese 105
Mallards 43
Woodies 31
Teal 16
widgeon 8
Blacks 11
Goldeneyes 25 "Take-em"
Buffleheads 4
Bluebills 1
snows 27
Band Count 5
pete/pmr
hunter

Postby yellodog1 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:29 am

From everything I have read, there seems to be some truth to the fact that Coyote populations are self regulating. Meaning that the more coyote's killed, the more offspring the ones that survive have. Likewise a rise in the deer and coyote food population correlates to a rise in the coyote survival rate. Its possible your seeing more Coyotes because the deer herd is on the rise. (I don't believe this is true for most of the state. I think the deer population is lower than the state wants to admit). However It seems every year people say they are seeing more and more coyotes.
I will shoot every coyote I see, and have done so in the past, but I truely believe they are self regulating. I think part of the rise we may be seeing in the coyote population is due to low fur prices and the number of people that are trapping. Trapping seems to be a lost art in this state, and I think trapping kept coyote's in check way more than hunters.

I also think that this State would never offer a bounty on coyotes or any other animal. They can't afford to fund Fish and Wildlife properly as it is. Most the liberals in the State would just as soon outlaw hunting then pay people to hunt coyotes.
Hunt Vermont
yellodog1
State Moderator

Postby HJF » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:03 pm

Here is how the deer in our neighborhood deal with the coyotes. Every evening just before dark 20 of them come out of the woods and across our lawn, and spend the night in our development eating everyones shrubs. Just after first light they do the same thing in reverse, spending the day in the woods. My daughter snapped these pictures last night in the snow as they were walking up the road.

It also seems that a few does will have and keep their fawns in the neighborhood just after they are born in the spring/early summer. It is amazing how they can be so tame alot of the time, the other evening all of them were lined up just off the road as we drove by about 10-20 feet away. BTW all of them look to be in really good shape and there are some REAL little ones in the bunch.

Last night

Last fall

HJF
hunter

Postby HJF » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:33 am

And this morning.....the treck back into the woods. It is hard to get a bunch in one picture, I got 5 in this one if you look close.

HJF
hunter

Postby Swampfoot » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:31 am

HJF: I am out-of-state. How much snow is on the ground right now?
Swampfoot
hunter

Postby HJF » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:02 pm

Swampfoot wrote:HJF: I am out-of-state. How much snow is on the ground right now?

Obviously varies, but over a foot in my backyard. It is really tough to get exact numbers as it has been settling alot and the dogs have been knocking it down some. We are going to get alot of rain this weekend, and that will knock a bunch out, but the local news just said that last month was the most snow EVER in February for VT.
HJF
hunter

Postby Swampfoot » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:36 am

Thanks HJF. I am looking forward to all the snow melting so I can work the soil a bit. I am planning to clear some brush for food plots but I guess it is a bit too early for that.
Swampfoot
hunter

Postby pete/pmr » Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:08 am

Depends on where you are looking to work the land,it is almost all gone now,snow that is,and it is headed to mud season pretty quick,but it needs to turn around for one last cold snap,which might put a little frost into the ground to get a couple good days out of cutting trees and brush,then let it lay until close to the end of May,then it should be dry enough to drag it out and get some equiptment in there to work the dirt!We usually do it in the early fall around August-Sept!

2013 Season Totals

Canada Geese 105
Mallards 43
Woodies 31
Teal 16
widgeon 8
Blacks 11
Goldeneyes 25 "Take-em"
Buffleheads 4
Bluebills 1
snows 27
Band Count 5
pete/pmr
hunter

Postby TomKat » Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:39 am

When I was a kid, the state of Kansas had a bounty on coyotes. We have no closed season on them here, and no limit...and we have more of them than ever.

I was at my cousins house last night and their neighbor has lost 8 calfs this spring to coyotes. They are begging me to come hunt their 350 acres, so I am going to help them out a bit :biggrin:

IMO, the most effective way to control them in an area is by trapping them....especially in the big woods you all have up there.
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby LongTom » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:10 am

duckin-A wrote: does anyone think they should put a bounty on coyotes to maybe stimulate more predator hunting in VT?????? i was talking with a guy recently who was bushwacking on East Mt in Mendon and came up on 8 Coys ripping a deer apart. he had no gun so quietly slipped outta there!! thats probably the only real way to thin them out!!! BOUNTY$$$$....... your thoughts are appreciated.

Why should anyone pay a bounty? You have the privilege to hunt deer so go kill some coyotes to protect your deer hunting.
LongTom
hunter

Postby TomKat » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:26 am

Better than a bounty would be trapping. I think that would put a better dent in the yote population than a bounty.
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby pete/pmr » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:08 am

the coyotes are hunted pretty hard around here,I have friends that have begged me to go coyote hunting and decided to go along one night,and let me tell you they shot some dogs!Here is a pic from the next morning when we started skinning them out!We got 8 of them on this night!

2013 Season Totals

Canada Geese 105
Mallards 43
Woodies 31
Teal 16
widgeon 8
Blacks 11
Goldeneyes 25 "Take-em"
Buffleheads 4
Bluebills 1
snows 27
Band Count 5
pete/pmr
hunter

Postby Swamp-Puppy88 » Sat May 07, 2011 4:10 pm

if anyone ever wonders what coyotes can do to a deer just watch this youtube video of mine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4aXFtRmqUw
Swamp-Puppy88
hunter

Postby Wildernezz2099 » Tue May 08, 2012 1:57 pm

It's pretty embarrassing reading some of the aforementioned comments. Some of you men give Vermonters a really bad name. Are you that ignorant you can't spell basic words? Seriously, the white trash akin to yourselves give real sportsmen a bad name. Why would you ever hide around at night with your white trash buddies chewing skoal and talking about the chubby girl who got drunk and have sex with her and shoot at coyotes? Are you that pathetic of a tracker you can't use a bow? Seriously? You bagged 10 majestic coyotes, what did you do with their meat? Seriously, the fact that ugly hicks like you are allowed to do that is insulting. Seriously, whats the purpose in hunting coyote? You think your a forest ranger? Are you little PHD wildlife biology candidates? The deer herd in Vermont is just fine. However, you are the same pathetic sportsmen who shoot spikehorn and doe and jack deer at night with headlights. Ever thought of tracking game without all your toys and deer cum from kmart? Its pretty dubious that a 25 year old has to explain civility and hunting ethics to you. Seriously, you give the great state of Vermont a horrible name. Its either white trash medicaid people in this state or wealthy yuppies from the cape and Jersey.
Wildernezz2099
Newb

Postby HJF » Tue May 08, 2012 2:35 pm

HJF
hunter

Postby magogwhacker » Mon May 14, 2012 8:35 am

Wildernezz2099 wrote:It's pretty embarrassing reading some of the aforementioned comments. Some of you men give Vermonters a really bad name. Are you that ignorant you can't spell basic words? Seriously, the white trash akin to yourselves give real sportsmen a bad name. Why would you ever hide around at night with your white trash buddies chewing skoal and talking about the chubby girl who got drunk and have sex with her and shoot at coyotes? Are you that pathetic of a tracker you can't use a bow? Seriously? You bagged 10 majestic coyotes, what did you do with their meat? Seriously, the fact that ugly hicks like you are allowed to do that is insulting. Seriously, whats the purpose in hunting coyote? You think your a forest ranger? Are you little PHD wildlife biology candidates? The deer herd in Vermont is just fine. However, you are the same pathetic sportsmen who shoot spikehorn and doe and jack deer at night with headlights. Ever thought of tracking game without all your toys and deer cum from kmart? Its pretty dubious that a 25 year old has to explain civility and hunting ethics to you. Seriously, you give the great state of Vermont a horrible name. Its either white trash medicaid people in this state or wealthy yuppies from the cape and Jersey.

While I agree that coyote hunting doesn't seem to make much sense from a wildlife management or ethical viewpoint (don't shoot it if you don't plan to eat it), I'm not sure labeling the entire hunting community as white trash slobs is the way to go either. Given the threats to our tradition, we should focus on what unites hunters...
What? There's open water? Its not cold enough.
magogwhacker
hunter

Postby TomKat » Mon May 14, 2012 9:25 am

magogwhacker wrote:
Wildernezz2099 wrote:It's pretty embarrassing reading some of the aforementioned comments. Some of you men give Vermonters a really bad name. Are you that ignorant you can't spell basic words? Seriously, the white trash akin to yourselves give real sportsmen a bad name. Why would you ever hide around at night with your white trash buddies chewing skoal and talking about the chubby girl who got drunk and have sex with her and shoot at coyotes? Are you that pathetic of a tracker you can't use a bow? Seriously? You bagged 10 majestic coyotes, what did you do with their meat? Seriously, the fact that ugly hicks like you are allowed to do that is insulting. Seriously, whats the purpose in hunting coyote? You think your a forest ranger? Are you little PHD wildlife biology candidates? The deer herd in Vermont is just fine. However, you are the same pathetic sportsmen who shoot spikehorn and doe and jack deer at night with headlights. Ever thought of tracking game without all your toys and deer cum from kmart? Its pretty dubious that a 25 year old has to explain civility and hunting ethics to you. Seriously, you give the great state of Vermont a horrible name. Its either white trash medicaid people in this state or wealthy yuppies from the cape and Jersey.

While I agree that coyote hunting doesn't seem to make much sense from a wildlife management or ethical viewpoint (don't shoot it if you don't plan to eat it),

I have a question for you. If you shoot one and leave it on the ground, why do you think it does not get eaten? It is, in fact, eaten- by microbes and scavangers. I think its a short sighted view of "if you aren't going to eat it". It does get ate. Just not in the way the old timers 300 years ago meant when that saying was coined. And at that time, there were no coyotes back east. The genie is out of the bottle; its time to look at them not like cute german shepherds, but for what they are- predators and varmints.

As for Magogwacker, you sir, are an idiot.
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby magogwhacker » Mon May 14, 2012 11:07 am

TomKat wrote:
magogwhacker wrote:

While I agree that coyote hunting doesn't seem to make much sense from a wildlife management or ethical viewpoint (don't shoot it if you don't plan to eat it),

I have a question for you. If you shoot one and leave it on the ground, why do you think it does not get eaten? It is, in fact, eaten- by microbes and scavangers. I think its a short sighted view of "if you aren't going to eat it". It does get ate. Just not in the way the old timers 300 years ago meant when that saying was coined. And at that time, there were no coyotes back east. The genie is out of the bottle; its time to look at them not like cute german shepherds, but for what they are- predators and varmints.

As for Magogwacker, you sir, are an idiot.

Interesting logic buddy. I understand that the effectiveness of predator control through hunting is very limited and I respect wildlife enough to not use it for target practice, therefore, I'm an idiot. Lets remember that the vast majority of America doesn't hunt and the future of our tradition is in their hands. We need to respect wildlife, police our own ranks, and treat everyone with respect if we want to see our children and grandchildren be able to enjoy what we have enjoyed. In my experience, most non-hunters appreciate the challenge of hunting and the self sufficiency of harvested game meat, but they get pretty turned off by a pickup truck bed full of dead coyotes, killed because they are "varmints". I'm not out there pushing for a law against coyote hunting...do what you want, this is America. What I'm saying is that we should be careful, as hunters, to put our best foot forward to the public and treat animals with respect. Using animals for target practice, be they coyotes or eider ducks is not ethical in my opinion.
What? There's open water? Its not cold enough.
magogwhacker
hunter

Postby TomKat » Mon May 14, 2012 12:38 pm

Target practice?

I don't need the practice. I do that on my own range. I hunt them. They are not easy to hunt, it is a challenging and rewarding sport.

If you were ever west of Ohio, you might be capable of understanding. You see, the entire world does not revolve around what people in Boston and New York think. Come to my state and ask any little old lady or young school girl what THEY think about coyotes and coyote hunting.

Better yet, ask the ranchers here who make their living what they think of coyote hunting. They absolutly love it when I ask permission to hunt their lands. When I show them a dead yote taken from their property I basicly have free range of their place for life.

How many coyotes have you ever shot...or shot at? Have you ever skinned one? Ever had one of your pets taken from your yard by one? Have you ever hunted them with 10 "majestic greyhounds"?

There is a whole bigger world you are missing, and to talk down to other because you are not in synch with it may make you more ignorant than idiotic. But I don't know that for sure. What I do know is that you were probably home schooled and voted for Barry Obama.
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby Lavman » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:36 am

TomKat wrote:Target practice?

I don't need the practice. I do that on my own range. I hunt them. They are not easy to hunt, it is a challenging and rewarding sport.

If you were ever west of Ohio, you might be capable of understanding. You see, the entire world does not revolve around what people in Boston and New York think. Come to my state and ask any little old lady or young school girl what THEY think about coyotes and coyote hunting.

Better yet, ask the ranchers here who make their living what they think of coyote hunting. They absolutly love it when I ask permission to hunt their lands. When I show them a dead yote taken from their property I basicly have free range of their place for life.

How many coyotes have you ever shot...or shot at? Have you ever skinned one? Ever had one of your pets taken from your yard by one? Have you ever hunted them with 10 "majestic greyhounds"?

There is a whole bigger world you are missing, and to talk down to other because you are not in synch with it may make you more ignorant than idiotic. But I don't know that for sure. What I do know is that you were probably home schooled and voted for Barry Obama.

The cheese has slid off the cracker. Dorthy you missed the point and went off the deep end for nothing.

Out of curiosity do you eat the yotes?

Why is hunting them with a bow "better" than a rifle?
Lavman
hunter

Next

Return to Vermont Duck Hunting