Spring Snows

Waterfowl topics at their best, post here and read others views on Vermont duck hunting

Moderator: yellodog1

Spring Snows

Postby LBeinhaur » Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:05 am

Anybody seeing any? Saw a group of maybe 2oo at DC yesterday. Of course they were on the refuge and not huntable!!
LBeinhaur
hunter

Re: Spring Snows

Postby Benny8 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:46 am

Seeing some over here-NO SPRING SNOW GOOSE SEASON!
Benny8
hunter

Postby pete/pmr » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:12 am

I found some snows down here in my area,but before I could hunt them I think someone or a group of people tried alittle running and gunning on them,I was putting together a crew to set up on them for this evening in thier roosting area,( only going to get one chance on them),but I think they got pushed off already,going to go check on them in a little while,but could not find them last night after I saw some guys headed thier way! But thats how it works around here,snooze you loose!Guess I am going to have to start being alittle more selfish, as to my hunting practices,cannot wait around here anymore!
Last edited by pete/pmr on Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
2013 Season Totals

Canada Geese 105
Mallards 43
Woodies 31
Teal 16
widgeon 8
Blacks 11
Goldeneyes 25 "Take-em"
Buffleheads 4
Bluebills 1
snows 27
Band Count 5
pete/pmr
hunter

Postby pete/pmr » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:15 pm

went out and got set up on a flock of Canadas and me and the dogs sat there while it snowed and snowed and more and more Canada's landed and ducks and more ducks until I thought the little puddle could not hold anymore birds! But no snows came in,we could see about 12 snows on the other side of the river but they were holding tight in the field they are in so we decided at 1:30pm to leave and get some soup and a burger for the dogs,and we may head back out tonight! Pair of coyotes hanging out behind us in another corn field,think they were looking for free meals(dead crows that were shot and left behind)but I figure if they came closer I would have had to give them a load of BBB!Gonna have to head up north I guess,just got word there is 40,000 snows in Delaware headed our way!
2013 Season Totals

Canada Geese 105
Mallards 43
Woodies 31
Teal 16
widgeon 8
Blacks 11
Goldeneyes 25 "Take-em"
Buffleheads 4
Bluebills 1
snows 27
Band Count 5
pete/pmr
hunter

Postby RangerX » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:23 pm

If anyone is looking for company on a snowgoose hunt, let me know. I can pretty much travel anywhere and willing to help out with whatever it takes...
RangerX
hunter

Postby Red Bauer » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:14 pm

I was out this past Thurs/Friday/Sat north of Plattsburgh and by Saturday morning there was a couple of thousand snows in the area. Saw about 3 other hunting groups. I didn't get a shot off, but it was nice to get out and see plenty of birds. If it wasn't for all the water, I could have snuck up on them.
Red Bauer
Newb

Postby hawkman » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:57 am

Hey RangerX,

I am looking for company. Got two hunting kayaks, boats, a layout blind and about 100 snow rags but can't find any birds. I am over in the St. Johnsbury area. I'm also willing to travel. If I find any birds, I'll leave a note here.
hawkman
hunter

Postby pete/pmr » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:52 pm

Not going to find too many over there in St Jay,most of our birds that we use to get come up thru the lake and hang on the western shore area,now they are still coming up but holding in the fields over in New York now because (this is what the biologists say) farming practices in New York are different than here in Vermont! More food for them over there!
2013 Season Totals

Canada Geese 105
Mallards 43
Woodies 31
Teal 16
widgeon 8
Blacks 11
Goldeneyes 25 "Take-em"
Buffleheads 4
Bluebills 1
snows 27
Band Count 5
pete/pmr
hunter

Postby RangerX » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:07 pm

hawkman wrote:Hey RangerX,

I am looking for company. Got two hunting kayaks, boats, a layout blind and about 100 snow rags but can't find any birds. I am over in the St. Johnsbury area. I'm also willing to travel. If I find any birds, I'll leave a note here.

Sounds good... I'm a mile away from the SandBar... I have a boat and blind, blind is portable and can be used in field (Beavertail)... I have no snow decoys, only canadas... Tons of Canada geese on the Lamoille in the past few days, with a couple snows mixed in, but I don't have the time to do any scouting because of my hellish work schedule...

Just got a new shotgun and I'm itching to use it! Was looking for some crows the other day with no luck... :\ going through withdrawls here... can't wait for bass season to open...
RangerX
hunter

Postby pete/pmr » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:54 pm

Do you know Mike Cameron in Alburg,check in with him he should have a handle on any snows up there! Think he is in Alburg could be Grand Isle! Hunted with him and Boo one time on the farm up there,he's a friend of a friend,and he seemed to have made a great impression on me like he was in touch with what was going on up there!
2013 Season Totals

Canada Geese 105
Mallards 43
Woodies 31
Teal 16
widgeon 8
Blacks 11
Goldeneyes 25 "Take-em"
Buffleheads 4
Bluebills 1
snows 27
Band Count 5
pete/pmr
hunter

Postby HuntsCTRiver » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:12 am

did anyone get any snows this season?
HuntsCTRiver
hunter

Postby Vtwaterfowler » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:58 am

I DID!!!!!! :yes:
Vtwaterfowler
hunter

Postby chambo32 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:19 pm

Some "Sea Gulls" in Richmond. They must be lost...... Sorry for the crappy picture about 2 dozen birds though.

chambo32
hunter

Return to Vermont Duck Hunting