New to forum

Waterfowl topics at their best, post here and read others views on Vermont duck hunting

Moderator: yellodog1

New to forum

Postby Swamp-Puppy88 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:20 pm

hey everyone, this is my first post here. i have never waterfowl hunted before but have always wanted to. so i have decided to give it a try this year. im 22 and expect i will have to get some decoys and calls. i already have a shot gun and waders and know some good duck hunting spots. despite never waterfowl hunting before im a big outdoors man and love hunting and fishing. im also a trapper so wading through the water for muskrats and beaver has left me with a hankering to give duck hunting a try more than ever.
Swamp-Puppy88
hunter

Re: New to forum

Postby 1Shot2Kills » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:58 pm

Welcome to the forum; you'll fall in love with water fowl hunting! I suggest you do some trap shooting with some clay pigeons to get some practice and try to find someone you can go out with and learn the ropes from. :yes:
Want to try out bear hunting? Then visit Bear-Hunting.Org; the non-commercial educational website on hunting bears.
1Shot2Kills
hunter

Postby pete/pmr » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:23 am

Welcome to the forum and hope we can help you with all your waterfowl questions! This is a good forum and place to learn from experienced hunters,not that I am one of them but I do have a few years experience! So good luck and enjoy the forum!
2013 Season Totals

Canada Geese 105
Mallards 43
Woodies 31
Teal 16
widgeon 8
Blacks 11
Goldeneyes 25 "Take-em"
Buffleheads 4
Bluebills 1
snows 27
Band Count 5
pete/pmr
hunter

Postby RangerX » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:44 am

1shot2kills is right... practice with clays...that was the one key mistake I made last year before the season.

Don't let pete/pmr fool you, he is a duck commander!

Nick
RangerX
hunter

Postby HotDog » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:34 am

Welcome Swamp-Puppy88.

Yeah, what they said. :welcome:
WTN10 wrote:
"Why do you assume I'm a genius? Have you ever considered that I'm average and that you're retarded?"
HotDog
hunter

Postby pete/pmr » Tue May 03, 2011 3:07 am

Here is my advise to all new comers to waterfowl hunting!

Well let me start with this! IT IS AN ADDICTION YOU WILL NEVER GET AWAY FROM!!!!!! Other than that it will be alot of fun! You will spend money on decoys,then chokes ,ammo,more decoys,blinds,boats,dogs,more decoys,bigger boat,new truck to haul boat,trailor to haul decoys,more decoys!ect...ect...ect! Calls you buy what you can afford,and try different ones they are all different and take different amounts of air to make work! Learning to call will be the hardest,my advise is to buy some calling DVD's or sound tracks from utube! Also look for calls that come with instructional dvds! Then find someone who hunts ducks and geese around your area,and try to learn as much from them as you can! Primos makes some calls that are cheap and sound good,so it is not a large investment to get started with,Cabelas has some decoys that are fairly priced! You need to learn your ducks,to identify them in flight,so you do not violate any laws in your area by shooting the wrong ducks or too many of one type of duck! This is very important because waterfowl is a federal offense, and if you do kill too many birds of a certain species you could loose your right to own firearms! Hope this helps you out!

One other thing; duck hunters are really sensitive about sharing thier spots! Do not feel bad if a duck hunter that is helping you too learn does not invite you to hunt with him when he goes! If he does invite you,It is an unwritten rule,you never talk about the spot they brought you too with anyone other than the person who brought you there,you never go there without being invited by that person,and you will get along fine! And learn from what you see there,type of terrain,depth of water,food sources,cover,is it sheltered from wind,and when you have spare time do some scouting and look for places of your own,that have simalar quailities as to where they took you!
2013 Season Totals

Canada Geese 105
Mallards 43
Woodies 31
Teal 16
widgeon 8
Blacks 11
Goldeneyes 25 "Take-em"
Buffleheads 4
Bluebills 1
snows 27
Band Count 5
pete/pmr
hunter

Postby Swamp-Puppy88 » Sat May 07, 2011 4:06 pm

thanks for the warm welcomes and the tips. i have been looking at decoys online a bit. also been out turkey hunting and can tell you one thing. i could have shot a bunch of woods ducks already. one of the spots i hunt is right where a ton of them roost and nest so i have been seeing them close up! getting pretty pumped to give waterfowl hunting a try this fall.
Swamp-Puppy88
hunter

Postby pete/pmr » Mon May 16, 2011 11:50 am

RangerX wrote:1shot2kills is right... practice with clays...that was the one key mistake I made last year before the season.

Don't let pete/pmr fool you, he is a duck commander!

Nick

Funny man right there!!! :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:
2013 Season Totals

Canada Geese 105
Mallards 43
Woodies 31
Teal 16
widgeon 8
Blacks 11
Goldeneyes 25 "Take-em"
Buffleheads 4
Bluebills 1