My thoughts about this year, what do you think?

Waterfowl topics at their best, post here and read others views on Vermont duck hunting

Moderator: yellodog1

My thoughts about this year, what do you think?

Postby VtechSkybuster » Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:44 am

I was at the State DU dinner a few weekends ago and Bill Crenshaw did a great slide show on how the water was affecting the birds this year. From what I gathered because a lot of the cover was flooded and the birds either lost their nests, or if they were successful gave them little cover to hide from preditors. Luckily many species will rebuild and try again.
He also had some pictures showing how a lot of the woody boxes where flooded. Many of them were set above the 102' mark but not by much. I hope our resident population didnt take too much of a beating, theres nothing like shooting a limit of woodies in the ponds.
The highwater is also likely to affect the rice in places like the Missiquoi Refuge. They didnt have a good sense at the time if there would be a "crop" of rice this year but hopefully this doesnt affect it that much.
If this zone change is approved 100% this year and it goes into affect this season it will be very hard to tell the impact on the birds. This season may be hard to use as a guage, we may want to just throw any information gathered right out the window. Over time we will get a good idea. Hopefully these two changes dont impact the birds so drastically in areas like the Refuge that they decide not to stick around anymore.
Thats my feeling for now. What do you all think?

P.S. If any of you play golf shoot me a PM, the Northwest Vermont Ducks Unlimited Chapter is doing a Golf Tourney at Bakersfield Country Club on August 6th. We had a great time last year and would love to have more people attend.
They might get my guns, but they're gonna get the bullets first!!
VtechSkybuster
hunter

Re: My thoughts about this year, what do you think?

Postby CHSAPKS » Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:55 pm

I think this years high water will make it a very interesting year to say the least. Along with the high water we have, if they change the boundries in the Missisquoi River Delta area I think it's going to make for a long season, with alot of very gun shy ducks. Just think how the ducks act after day 3 during the first opener???? I guess that's why I like hunting ducks in November more and more each year........... Less hunters out on the water.

We will see! :huh:
CHSAPKS
hunter

Postby Vtwaterfowler » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:26 pm

I completely agree with you but only time will tell what this season could be like... boom or bust... (no pun intended) :rolleyes:
Vtwaterfowler
hunter

Postby pete/pmr » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:04 pm

I am in the woods and waterways every day here in Southern Vt,and I am not seeing many baby ducks at all,I did see one group of maybe 5 woody poults,but other than that I am not seeing as many as I have in the past few years! Over on Champlain I am seeing more family groups but nothing like years past! But we will just have too see!
2013 Season Totals

Canada Geese 105
Mallards 43
Woodies 31
Teal 16
widgeon 8
Blacks 11
Goldeneyes 25 "Take-em"
Buffleheads 4
Bluebills 1
snows 27
Band Count 5
pete/pmr
hunter

Postby pete/pmr » Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:31 pm

I am building some duck blinds on private land and have notices alot more family groups of woodies,mallards,and blacks! So from what I am seeing it is not looking too bad right now! Think the shooting might be pretty good!
2013 Season Totals

Canada Geese 105
Mallards 43
Woodies 31
Teal 16
widgeon 8
Blacks 11
Goldeneyes 25 "Take-em"
Buffleheads 4
Bluebills 1
snows 27
Band Count 5
pete/pmr
hunter

Postby wingset » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:07 am

Virtually no rice on the refuge... Gander, Metcalfe Is, Long Marsh. Things do not look good.
wingset
hunter

Postby pete/pmr » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:00 am

I think the puddle hunting is going to be the most productive this year! With the way the lakes in our area have flooded in the spring,and with the drout conditions now,it is anyones guess what will come of the lake hunting,but I feel the small ponds and inpoundments that did not flood out as bad as the lake did, are going to hold alot of birds! They will find the food sources that they know are there and they will have cover,and I think small beaver ponds and things like that will have the most action! Who knows for sure? Just have too wait and see what happens! I know I was at a spot off the main Lake on Tuesday before the waterfowl meeting in Whitehall,and what was a great spot last year is all but a dried up mud pot,the vegitation was all but gone,and I was hoping it would be a hot spot this year! I saw where the water floated drift wood up into the woods a good 70-100 yards from any water remaining in this area,the mud was solid enough to walk on all the way out to about 15 feet from the remaining water! Even the small drainage brook was close to being dry! I think we need some serious rain in the next 2 months! Then maybe we might get some water back in these spots!

The main Lake might be good if the water conditions stay the same as it will be low enough to open feeding areas in places where the water was too deep in previous years,so it might work out that way! But alot of the East Creek area is dried up,and those nice little spots we got into last year are not going to be accessable this year if we do not get any rain! Good luck too all!!!
2013 Season Totals

Canada Geese 105
Mallards 43
Woodies 31
Teal 16
widgeon 8
Blacks 11
Goldeneyes 25 "Take-em"
Buffleheads 4
Bluebills 1
snows 27
Band Count 5
pete/pmr
hunter

Postby RangerX » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:31 pm

The rain will come, no worries.

Let the countdown to fall begin!
RangerX
hunter

Postby gmannn » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:43 pm

I am in the Kingdom and we did not get hit that hard with the hurricane. Water in Magog a little high but I am seeing very few ducks in the northern part and eastern side of the lake. Hope to get into south bay and scout around this week. Still early for them to start to gather but I am a bit concerned. Word on the national front is we should get a health crop of ducks coming down later in the season.
gmannn
hunter

Postby pete/pmr » Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:47 pm

Hope you are right since it is not looking good down here!Champlain is holding alot of ducks in flooded areas,but if you cannot find some good spots back in the timber you might be hit until later in the season and the migrators start too show up!
2013 Season Totals

Canada Geese 105
Mallards 43
Woodies 31
Teal 16
widgeon 8
Blacks 11
Goldeneyes 25 "Take-em"
Buffleheads 4
Bluebills 1
snows 27
Band Count 5
pete/pmr
hunter

Postby pete/pmr » Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:51 pm

RangerX wrote:The rain will come, no worries.

Let the countdown to fall begin!

I am never going to doubt your weather predictions again!!! Boy did the rain come!!!!

You can tell it too stop anytime now!!!
2013 Season Totals

Canada Geese 105
Mallards 43
Woodies 31
Teal 16
widgeon 8
Blacks 11
Goldeneyes 25 "Take-em"
Buffleheads 4
Bluebills 1
snows 27
Band Count 5
pete/pmr
hunter

Postby RangerX » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:00 pm

I have been seeing an absolute crap ton of birds everywhere. Granted, I'm just a rookie and have only been paying attention for the past two years... I can say that I'm seeing way more ducks now than I did this time last year. Fingers crossed for a great season.

Wish me luck for tomorrow... taking the day off to blast some honkers.

Nick
RangerX
hunter

Postby pete/pmr » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:43 am

GOOD LUCK! It is 330 am and still friggin raining but I am headed for Bridport to get set up for geese,and everyone has bailed out on the hunt so far!But I am going to be out there for certain! Provided I can get there and do not have washed out roads between here and there!
2013 Season Totals

Canada Geese 105
Mallards 43
Woodies 31
Teal 16
widgeon 8
Blacks 11
Goldeneyes 25 "Take-em"
Buffleheads 4
Bluebills 1
snows 27
Band Count 5
pete/pmr
hunter

Postby RangerX » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:19 pm

How did you make out, Pete?

knocked down 5 today... was a wet mess in the AM; we setup on the water with 4 dozen floaters. Lot's of birds flying, lot's of fun.

If your buddies bail out on you again, shoot me a PM.
RangerX
hunter

Postby pete/pmr » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:48 am

Yeah I got to the spot I was going to hunt and everyone bailed because of the rain! But as luck would have it I had three trucks pull up with kids in them between the age of 17-22 and they asked if they could join me,and the fun began! We had two flocks come bye but only one was interested in our spread and we shot 5 geese out of the flock,and then the kids all had to head out for school,so we were packed up by 830am! I was alittle bummed but it was fun! I will take you up on that offer next time! I am looking to hunt another day this week or this weekend,and if you want too hook up for a hunt let me know! We can make a plan!

Here is a pic of the guys just before they left with the geese!

2013 Season Totals

Canada Geese 105
Mallards 43
Woodies 31
Teal 16
widgeon 8
Blacks 11
Goldeneyes 25 "Take-em"
Buffleheads 4
Bluebills 1
snows 27
Band Count 5
pete/pmr
hunter

Postby RangerX » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:56 am

Nice Pete!

We had some fun ourselves.. and took 5.

RangerX
hunter

Return to Vermont Duck Hunting