We have rice !

Waterfowl topics at their best, post here and read others views on Vermont duck hunting

Moderator: yellodog1

We have rice !

Postby F250 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:01 am

I spent most of yesterday boating around Missisquoi Bay. I was surprised at the amount of wild rice that I saw. I really didn't expect to see much with all the flooding and short growing season due to the high water. I could see lots of rice in Saxes Pothole, some along the west shore of Gander Bay, lots back in Big Marsh and Goose Bay Pool, lots up in Long Marsh Channel, and lots in Charcoal Creek in the area north of Rt. #78. I also saw large mats of smart weed scattered around the area. I did not see many ducks - perhaps the high water has them scattered back in the closed areas.
F250
hunter

Re: We have rice !

Postby wingset » Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:03 am

There is some rice; but no where near the amount on a "normal" season. What little grass that grew in our short summer season is under water now.
wingset
hunter

Postby Lavman » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:48 am

I was out in the marsh @ Hawkins Landing this weekend and only saw 5 or 6 ducks all morning. Last year around this time there were literally thousands of them in there. My expectations for this season are already low.
Lavman
hunter

Postby pete/pmr » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:52 am

I was at the lake last week and did not see many ducks at all,maybe this frost will start to push them down!? I am hoping so because we are hunting this weekend for youth! Gonna have to see what happens!
2013 Season Totals

Canada Geese 105
Mallards 43
Woodies 31
Teal 16
widgeon 8
Blacks 11
Goldeneyes 25 "Take-em"
Buffleheads 4
Bluebills 1
snows 27
Band Count 5
pete/pmr
hunter

Postby Lavman » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:34 am

pete/pmr wrote:I was at the lake last week and did not see many ducks at all,maybe this frost will start to push them down!? I am hoping so because we are hunting this weekend for youth! Gonna have to see what happens!

Roger that Pete! My nephew and his Dad are going to hit the lake this weekend for the youth days, hoping for the best for them!
Lavman
hunter

Return to Vermont Duck Hunting