Montpelier Hunter

Waterfowl topics at their best, post here and read others views on Vermont duck hunting

Moderator: yellodog1

Montpelier Hunter

Postby SemperParatusBoats » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:17 pm

Anybody from Montpelier out there? I've been a long time follower of this web-site and now a first time contributor. I've recently finished a ten year stint with the USCG and have moved back to my home town(Montpelier). I've been blessed with some sweet duty locations, which allowed me to do some great duck hunting most notably, Lake Ontario....amazing! I have a couple of questions regarding the "duck scene" in VT. Can you hunt the Winooski? what about the causway in Colchester? I purchased on of those Fish and Wildlife WMU books, which is good but I know theres more out there. And finally I know when I was on Lake Ontario you could hunt anywhere on the lake as long as your feet were "wet". For example State boat launches and surrounding areas, using good judgement of course and not setting up in someones back yard. Thanks for any advice.

Freedoms Not Free.
SemperParatusBoats
Newb

Re: Montpelier Hunter

Postby NW_Vermont » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:21 am

Welcome home and a big, big thank you for your service. :clapping:

I'm sure I'll be quickly corrected if I'm wrong, but, in short, you can hunt just about anywhere in VT. It is easier to identify where you can't hunt. As you mentioned, through all this, you use judgement and etiquette in choosing your hunt locations.

You must respect posted signs which are too common. This doesn't necessarily mean you can't hunt, just that you must have permission. It can't hurt to ask. Some people just want to know WHO is hunting on their land.

If the land you want to hunt is state or federal, usually an internet search will bring you to the regulations for hunting on the land.

Study up on your state WMU's. Search the Vermont forum for some info on Colchester causeway.

NW_Vermont
NW_Vermont
hunter

Return to Vermont Duck Hunting