New to Vermont

Waterfowl topics at their best, post here and read others views on Vermont duck hunting

Moderator: yellodog1

New to Vermont

Postby Capt Sport » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:10 pm

Hi all,

I've recently moved to Vermont (3 1/2 months ago, live in Ferrisburg area) and I am looking for places to hunt and new friends to hunt with.

Quick introduction, I grew up in Michigan where I hunted Phesant, Deer, Rabbits and Partridge, so I've been hunting all my life. I've spent the last 18 years in Southern California, but hey don't hold that against me. :wink: That's were I took up waterfowl hunting and I've been at it now for the last 10 years, I absolutely love it! :thumbsup:

Now that I've moved to Vermont I'm looking to make some new friends and explore waterfowl hunting opportunities here. I'm used to hunting from preset up blinds where you get a blind assigned to you for the day based on a lottery, and you hike back on state run land and set up your decoy's and hope for the best. I haven't found anything like that here in Vermont, It seems that here, most of the hunting is done via boat.

I have about 4 dozen duck decoy's, waders, calls and what not. I don't have any goose decoy's or a blind/blind material, but I'll buy it in a heart beat if needed. I don't have a boat this year but I see that changing by next season.

So, if you'd like to show the new guy in town the ropes to waterfowl hunting in Vermont let me know. I'm up for hunting opportunities pretty much all over the state, and I'm more than happy to pitch in with gas money, boat clean up and whatever else is needed. Drop me a note with any info you think would be of interest.

Thanks in advance for all your help,
Cya,
JR
Capt Sport
Newb

Re: New to Vermont

Postby FowlHooked » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:28 pm

Capt i moved to vermont some years ago and had same thing. There are lots of beaver ponds you can hunt by walking in. If its not posted. The state has places along champlain where you can get blinds by drawings and i believe just showing up to a building for others. Ive since moved back to NJ but stil come up to hunt. Good Luck and enjoy living there.
Fowl Hooked Waterfowling on Facebook
http://Www.fowlhooked.org
FowlHooked
hunter

Re: New to Vermont

Postby Capt Sport » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:36 am

Fowlhooked,

Thanks for the reply, I'll look around and see if what I can find in my area as far as beaver ponds etc. Looking forward to get'n a shot at some Canadian Geese this season, not a lot of opportunity for them in my old stomping ground. That and I'd like to get a shot at a Woodduck this season as those were non-existant where I've hunted in the past. Not a lot of tree's in the desert so not a lot of woodducks, go figure. :biggrin:

If you ever want to company on one of your trips up here to hunt give me a shout.

Cya,

jr
Capt Sport
Newb

Return to Vermont Duck Hunting