Can I over hunt Wood Ducks and a dog question

Waterfowl topics at their best, post here and read others views on Vermont duck hunting

Moderator: yellodog1

Can I over hunt Wood Ducks and a dog question

Postby DUCKS_VT » Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:22 pm

Hey everyone...

After no luck in my area for 3 years I have finally found some Woodies.

I have shot 4 in the last 2 days... I have seen 10-15 in the area I am hunting with some larger flocks in the area as well.

The thing is I am only finding them in flooded treed area and only in the morning (8am). I am worried that I may over hunt them. Is this possible? Should I leave them alone? My dog and I are really enjoying hunting them and I really have no other spot to hunt at the moment. (I need to find a hunting partner in N. VT).

As for the dog question... My yellow lab has just turned 4. I have spent her life training her to retrieve, to heal and to stay like any good waterfowl dog should. However I have not until this year been able to introduce her to live birds.

Well she has now retrieved 4 birds for me (the first was a woodie that dove and she found it under water and pawed at the water until it surfaced) but she has been tentative when picking them up especially when they have been still alive. She tends to carefully pick at them and pull off feathers, and when she does pick them up she tends to juggle them in her mouth. She did pick one up by a wing and shake and tore the skin as well and I was not pleased but I did not scold her.

Is this normal? None of my other dogs ever did this but this is the first I have trained by myself.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Here she is with her first 2 birds..Image
DUCKS_VT
Newb

Re: Can I over hunt Wood Ducks and a dog question

Postby Baymen Moe » Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:04 pm

Hunt those woodies while you can, they'll be gone before you know it. They don't call them summer ducks for nothing. As far as the dog, sorry I have no experience with them but the more birds she get's to handle the better I say. Have a great season.
Baymen Moe
hunter

Return to Vermont Duck Hunting