Ruddy duck

Waterfowl topics at their best, post here and read others views on Vermont duck hunting

Moderator: yellodog1

Ruddy duck

Postby gmannn » Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:07 pm

Do you folks shoot many Ruddy ducks on Champlagne? We shot 4 on Magog this morning. Also popped our first Whistler hen . All ended up as jalapeƱo poppers.
Thanks
gmannn
hunter

Re: Ruddy duck

Postby magogwhacker » Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:15 am

Sure they're not ringers? I saw those ducks swimming around down by my blind stake, I thought they were ringers, but I didn't get a good look at them. You must have been the other party on S. Bay this morning. How did you do after I left?
What? There's open water? Its not cold enough.
magogwhacker
hunter

Postby hawkman » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:57 am

Hey there Magogwacker. I think that was someone else who shot the Ruddys cause I think you and I were the only ones on South Bay Sunday AM. Those were a bunch of coots by the blind stake. They have been there a few days now. Is that the stake someone tore the sign off of? Someone tore mine off too.

You looked good out there. Hidden well, called well and you got some ducks. Still trying to figure out what I was doing wrong. Just could not get them into reasonable range. From your persepctive, did my blind stick out too much?

After you left, it completely died....not a bird flew.
hawkman
hunter

Postby magogwhacker » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:00 pm

Sent you a pm hawkman
What? There's open water? Its not cold enough.
magogwhacker
hunter

Postby gmannn » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:27 pm

That was me and friends at s. bay Launch sunday morning. We headed out and set up by the canadien border. Definitely ruddy ducks in the bag as well as the season first whistler hen and an oldsquaw hen and a few other divers and a mallard. Nice morning with the snow.
S. bay has been thick with coot.
gmannn
hunter

Postby gmannn » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:34 pm

I have not seen any ringers on Magog this year. Got into some last year and have yet to set out any blocks for them. Some old literature suggests some breeding activity for ringneck in the Magog area.
gmannn
hunter

Postby gmannn » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:48 pm

gmannn
hunter

Postby Rubber Hook » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:04 pm

I was down there sunday morning also. Just the 2 trucks there when I left the ramp. I left early, i think i got back to the ramp around 8:30, I admired the artwork on the boat ramp sign while putting the boat back on the trailer........why do people have to do stuff like that.
Rubber Hook
hunter

Postby hawkman » Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:22 am

Was out there Friday PM. It was awlful quiet....almost nothing flying.... not even geese. Only saw one flock of geese late. On the way to the ramp scouted several other areas that typically hold geese but nada. Where are the mallards this year???
hawkman
hunter

Postby vt.honker » Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:02 pm

:biggrin: Hello All, Happy to see that there are some other NEK hunters on this site :wink: .I just joined the site today and have been enjoying the postings.I have been in a leg cast for 5 weeks now(3/4 more weeks) and my season of hunting has been to vicariously; set-up decoys,call birds,and share in the success of others thru their postings.The corn fields in my area have all been cut ,manured,and by the time this cast comes off,all our potholes will be frozen :mad: :mad: .THANKS FOR POSTING THOSE PICS ...keep them coming..and SHOOT a couple for me wont`cha :thumbsup: !!
So many geese,so much ammo,so little time left!
vt.honker
hunter

Postby hawkman » Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:21 pm

Hey Vt.honker:

That really sucks.

My only active hunting buddy in the midwest just had surgery on his shoulder the day before the season opened. He is out until spring.

At least your not missing too much. There have been some geese around but the ducks are far and few between....mostly teal and wood ducks at first but most of those are gone now.

Hope your healed up by the spring snow goose season.
hawkman
hunter

Postby gmannn » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:10 am

Five straight days of sun high pressure and blue skys has the birds flying south and flying high. Looking forward to the low pressure this weekend. Blue bills are showing up but I didnt drop any. Can't hit em if ya ain't swinging.
gmannn
hunter

Return to Vermont Duck Hunting