Anyone hunting?

Waterfowl topics at their best, post here and read others views on Vermont duck hunting

Moderator: yellodog1

Anyone hunting?

Postby hawkman » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:19 am

It's awlful quiet on the web. Is anyone hunting?
hawkman
hunter

Re: Anyone hunting?

Postby VtechSkybuster » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:39 am

I will be hunting some divers up in the northern end of the lake this weekend. I hear they are starting to come down.
Has anyone seen or hunted them at all yet?
They might get my guns, but they're gonna get the bullets first!!
VtechSkybuster
hunter

Postby hawkman » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:02 pm

Last time I was out was Sunday. Saw almost no ducks but did see some geese. I may try Thursday and/or Friday depending how this weather comes in.
hawkman
hunter

Postby HOPIN4ABOAT » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:48 pm

Nope I am completely lost here no idea where to even start really. Took the pup to a lake the other day and saw some geese but that's it. I think this year is gonna get scrapped for lack of knowledge of the area.
Montanafowler wrote:check the jiblets real good, nothing scarier than seeing a bug biting your balls :lol3:
HOPIN4ABOAT
hunter

Postby chambo32 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:19 pm

It has been slow for me too. Most of the geese left after the north wind the week after the opener. Not many mallards around from what I see. There are some Whistlers around, we went to hunt a raft of them, but they moved the day we went to hunt them. It is about 2 weeks too early for whistlers though. I have hunted Mississiquoi a couple times and it has been pretty slow. Anyone else have better luck there this year.
chambo32
hunter

Postby Burlingtonblaster » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:21 pm

Went out jumping today. Shot 1 hen mallard and 2 green wing teal. Stirred 60-80 birds in the process. The drake green wing had a band from MD on it.. First one I've seen pretty cool but it was my buddy shot that took it down. Same spot got me a few mallards last friday too. Im curious to hear about others successes or is it just a lack of getting out to hunt? Deer season starts saturday should take even more people off the water... So whats going on?
When people ask me what my favorite season in Vermont is, I simply reply. Duck
Burlingtonblaster
hunter

Postby LBeinhaur » Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:48 am

Been out an average of every 3 days at Dead Creek and not seeing many ducks at all. Lots of snows around and still seeing quite a few Canada Geese but ducks are in short supply. Drove down by the bridge 3 or 4 days ago and there were a few large rafts of ducks , from what I could see, a lot of coots. Didn't appear to be may divers though. Think I will get geared up for the lake though as I am not seeing squat otherwise. Hope it's due to the warmer weather and not a lack of birds!!
LBeinhaur
hunter

Postby HJF » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:09 am

Burlingtonblaster wrote:Went out jumping today. Shot 1 hen mallard and 2 green wing teal. Stirred 60-80 birds in the process. The drake green wing had a band from MD on it.. First one I've seen pretty cool but it was my buddy shot that took it down. Same spot got me a few mallards last friday too. Im curious to hear about others successes or is it just a lack of getting out to hunt? Deer season starts saturday should take even more people off the water... So whats going on?

They all have a MD address on them, that is where the bird band lab is. You need to call it in or go on the web to find out the banding details.
HJF
hunter

Postby magogwhacker » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:09 am

We need some ice. Too much open shallow water right now for good hunting. I think the hatch of local birds was very poor this year as well, flooding and all didn't help. Ice will bring down those red legs.
What? There's open water? Its not cold enough.
magogwhacker
hunter

Postby Burlingtonblaster » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:22 am

HJF wrote:
Burlingtonblaster wrote:Went out jumping today. Shot 1 hen mallard and 2 green wing teal. Stirred 60-80 birds in the process. The drake green wing had a band from MD on it.. First one I've seen pretty cool but it was my buddy shot that took it down. Same spot got me a few mallards last friday too. Im curious to hear about others successes or is it just a lack of getting out to hunt? Deer season starts saturday should take even more people off the water... So whats going on?

They all have a MD address on them, that is where the bird band lab is. You need to call it in or go on the web to find out the banding details.

Yeah i forgot the exact town the lab was located but my buddy is calling it in today. Bird was tagged in 07/08
Burlingtonblaster
hunter

Postby RangerX » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:27 am

We've bagged 72 birds so far... it's been no walk in the park. Decoying birds are very limited, numbers seem to be down... half of the birds we've taken have been from jumping potholes, chest deep. I don't mind that kind of hunting, but it takes a beating outta ya.

Hoping it gets cold soon and we see some migration numbers....
RangerX
hunter

Postby Lavman » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:40 pm

I've been working 6 and 7 days a week since I took the first three days of the season opener off (that'll teach me to take that much time off!!!LOL!!) but I am not complaining, even had to put my tools on a couple times to pinch hit since we are so busy with the Irene Stimulus work. So much to put back together and winter is coming so we are flat out hammering the work.

I am going to deer hunt this weekend, have not had time to think about putting the duck boat up for the year so will keep options open in case I get a breather from work. :beer:
Lavman
hunter

Postby duckin-A » Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:44 pm

Champlain has been dead south of the NEW bridge!!!!!
too warm , too much backwater, full moon, WTH????
" I spent all my money on Liquor & Women,
and the rest I just wasted"!!!
duckin-A
hunter

Postby NW_Vermont » Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:16 pm

We've been out too, as much as we can. I've been with one of two new-to-duckin' father-11yo son combos each time. :thumbsup:

We've almost always seen ducks and almost always took home a duck or two or five. However, nowhere near our limits :crying:

Duck numbers are down for me too and I'm glad someone else said that the birds just weren't decoying like normal. That's what I've experienced too.

I'm still at it, mostly on weekends and sometimes for the first hour before going to work :thumbsup: The time change makes that easier.

My kid got bored in the woods last weekend (youth deer) and has asked to hit the ducks this weekend. I'm a deer hunter too, but my heart is on the lake! So, I have no problem with that!

Cheers!

NW
NW_Vermont
hunter

Postby HOPIN4ABOAT » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:00 pm

Anyone feel like taking a transplant under their wing this year at least for a hunt if not its cool I understand. I'll only be here for 6 months or so. I'll throw in gas and breakfast but I'm in south VT near londonberry. I have some decoys and a half ass dog.
Montanafowler wrote:check the jiblets real good, nothing scarier than seeing a bug biting your balls :lol3:
HOPIN4ABOAT
hunter

Postby pete/pmr » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:27 pm

I am not having any problems finding birds south of the bridge but from the looks of all the chatter here I am not saying it couldn't be better,but I have limited out every day I have gone out except for once! And that is ducks,geese I have not had much luck on this year at all!
2013 Season Totals

Canada Geese 105
Mallards 43
Woodies 31
Teal 16
widgeon 8
Blacks 11
Goldeneyes 25 "Take-em"
Buffleheads 4
Bluebills 1
snows 27
Band Count 5
pete/pmr
hunter

Postby RangerX » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:30 am

pete/pmr wrote:I am not having any problems finding birds south of the bridge but from the looks of all the chatter here I am not saying it couldn't be better,but I have limited out every day I have gone out except for once! And that is ducks,geese I have not had much luck on this year at all!

:bow: Someone here is knockin em down, well done Sir.
RangerX
hunter

Postby hawkman » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:30 pm

Went out Friday from sunup till noon. Only hunter in the area. Only saw one pair of black ducks and four small groups of geese. All decoyed nicely. On the run out, saw what I thought was Goldeneyes in the distance. Spent the PM scouting. Nada
hawkman
hunter

Postby Vtwaterfowler » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:34 pm

I'm planning on hunting hard the whole thanksgiving week in missisquoi bay. Being a college student at UVM, I take advantage of when I don't have school, as this is the first break we have had since the start of school. Talking to my aunt and uncle who live on the lake in west swanton, they haven't heard a whole lot of shots in the morning, but i guess theres been some mallards and geese hanging around the preserve. Not sayin that theres a lot them, but there are some. A north wind and some arctic air might be the recipe for success!
Vtwaterfowler
hunter

Postby RangerX » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:56 am

That's the attitude... kick some down south for me, will ya?

Vtwaterfowler wrote:I'm planning on hunting hard the whole thanksgiving week in missisquoi bay. Being a college student at UVM, I take advantage of when I don't have school, as this is the first break we have had since the start of school. Talking to my aunt and uncle who live on the lake in west swanton, they haven't heard a whole lot of shots in the morning, but i guess theres been some mallards and geese hanging around the preserve. Not sayin that theres a lot them, but there are some. A north wind and some arctic air might be the recipe for success!
RangerX
hunter

Postby Burlingtonblaster » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:57 am

Thats been my plan for break too. I cant wait to get out as much as possibly can. This week is killer school wise but its gonna be worth it come Friday. Managed to get out last saturday and knock a few down. 2 Drakes 2 hens and a green wing. Took my friend out for his first duck/Vermont hunt and he dropped 3 himself too. Was cool to convince one of my friends to get their Vermont license and take him to a spot where he could get a good shot off! :grooving:
Attachments
shooting in DK.jpg
Burlingtonblaster
hunter

Postby gmannn » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:00 pm

Magog slow Sunday. Buffleheads decoying well Friday. Need some real duck hunting weather.
gmannn
hunter

Postby NW_Vermont » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:40 am

We'll try again this weekend. Last weekend, at least where I was, was damn slow.

Going to try the usual hot-spot this weekend and hopefully the cold(er) weather will pick things up a bit.
NW_Vermont
hunter

Postby gmannn » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:28 pm

Jeezum you couldnot have asked for a more picturesque morning to hunt ducks. we were on Magog on the big lake.
Snow all morning still water
Fog and ducks all flying low and in close. Decoying readily until we got 2 inches of snow on all our blocks. Went and cleaned them and they covered up again in about 15 minutes.
Blue bill, buffleheads, and big blacks. No whistlers - huh? Smashed my trailer tail lights launching in the ice and plowed through hard ice to get to our spot. a mini adventure. Gotta love it.
Cut 'em
gmannn
hunter

Postby hawkman » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:25 pm

Hunted Wednesday PM. Marsh is 95% frozen. Could break through but feared I might get frozen in at dusk. Did that once. Pretty slow but did get two bunches of mallards to come in. One bunch was Northern birds. First I had seen this season. In the last 15 minutes, the geese started piling in. After shooting time, had them swimming in the decoys. Boat, blind, decoys ....all a frozen mass.
hawkman
hunter

Next

Return to Vermont Duck Hunting