Anyone hunting?

Waterfowl topics at their best, post here and read others views on Vermont duck hunting

Moderator: yellodog1

Re: Anyone hunting?

Postby we bad x 2 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:00 am

hay guys looking for a guy named hank i meet him 15yrs ago he was olympic shooter and duck hunter he was from vermont if he is still around or is on this site shoot me a pm thanks brian p.s. i heard he's running a surface drive motor?
we bad x 2
hunter

Postby HJF » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:35 pm

we bad x 2 wrote:hay guys looking for a guy named hank i meet him 15yrs ago he was olympic shooter and duck hunter he was from vermont if he is still around or is on this site shoot me a pm thanks brian p.s. i heard he's running a surface drive motor?

I'm here....sent you a PM
HJF
hunter

Postby jbetourney » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:44 pm

went out Thursday morning for a couple of hours, saw a few black and got a little shooting at some divers. Took a guy from work that just started hunting ducks this year and he had fun. he went through a full box of shell but only connected with two. loaded the lay out boat on the main boat on friday for a saterday morning hunt and scouted in the pm. found a spot with some goldeneyes, black and finaly some northern mallards. Got a call friday night and everyone bailed on saterday. oh well we will have next weeken

[url][/url][album][/album]
IF YOUR NOT ON THE LAKE, WHAT IS THE POINT.
jbetourney
hunter

Postby Burlingtonblaster » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:21 pm

saw around 1000 ducks chattering overhead walking back from class in Burlington today. Couldn't make out what type of duck they where but I was stopped for 5min watching before the entire flock flew by. Most definitely a good sign of migration picking up. Anybody out there doing some hammering? :hammer:
When people ask me what my favorite season in Vermont is, I simply reply. Duck
Burlingtonblaster
hunter

Postby Champney » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:45 pm

waterfront mallards. theres a ton of them all up and down the shore line year long for the past 6 years.
Champney
hunter

Postby wingset » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:21 am

hampney's right...

They move from the waterfront to Belter's farm/68 Acres. More mallards in the greater Burlington area, than most anywhere else.
wingset
hunter

Postby snogoose » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:27 pm

Champney and wingset are right...Can you find "Blodgett Island?"....hahahaha Just be aware that the BPD will TRY to bust you if you're inside the harbor! :lol:
snogoose
hunter

Postby NW_Vermont » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:32 pm

Iz the upper deck of the boathouse available? Now that's a blind!!!
NW_Vermont
hunter

Postby Vtwaterfowler » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:39 pm

again just like on the the missisquoi refuge, they know where they are safe!
Vtwaterfowler
hunter

Postby ronvt » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:00 pm

Went out today on the inland sea, managed to get 2. Only saw around 50 ducks total compared to the 1000 I saw over the weekend and last wednesday. Scouted all over the lake with a boat hoping to find where they all are but could only find 1 gaggle of geese and a flock of bufflehead. It was a bluebird day with temps around 34 and wind from the NW bw 12-15. Lat week, the ducks were here but dificult to decoy. Today thet seem to have vanished. I am heading out sat and hoping there will be more birds. It would not suprise me if bag limits are reduced next year, as I feel it has been a steady decline over the last 3 years. Our network of duckhunters have all described decrease numbers which is frustrating and scary.
ronvt
hunter

Postby RangerX » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:33 pm

ronvt wrote:Went out today on the inland sea, managed to get 2. Only saw around 50 ducks total compared to the 1000 I saw over the weekend and last wednesday. Scouted all over the lake with a boat hoping to find where they all are but could only find 1 gaggle of geese and a flock of bufflehead. It was a bluebird day with temps around 34 and wind from the NW bw 12-15. Lat week, the ducks were here but dificult to decoy. Today thet seem to have vanished. I am heading out sat and hoping there will be more birds. It would not suprise me if bag limits are reduced next year, as I feel it has been a steady decline over the last 3 years. Our network of duckhunters have all described decrease numbers which is frustrating and scary.

Between the flooding this spring and the warm weather delaying migration, I wouldn't worry too much about the numbers. Though it's frustrating, the birds will arrive.... whether that is before or after the season ends, only Mother Nature knows.

Good luck this weekend... I'll be out there too.

Nick
RangerX
hunter

Postby chambo32 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:40 pm

Ronvt,

I Assume you are talking about Whistlers. I am glad to here I am not the only one who was not having luck with them not decoying in the inland sea. They would flare to the open water layout and not commit. Kind of Frustrating..... It is a love hate relationship with Whistlers.
chambo32
hunter

Postby Champney » Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:24 pm

duck and goose numbers have been there highest in saskat. mainly cause there all staying in canada for the migration now where plants have running water and ponds are still open up north. its happening over here now, ive heard theres a ton of ducks on lake ontario and in quebec still. the season just needs to be dragged out into janurary like ontario. i think once the old only swamp october hunters releize theres no ducks they'll give in.
best hunting in ND is dec and jan. that might be in vt soon too.
isnt funny the first year they open the missiqoui straight the ducks are gone.
Champney
hunter

Postby hawkman » Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:24 am

Scouted every inch of South Bay and tributaries on Wednesday and again on Friday. Only jumped one small bunch of mallards and one small bunch of Blacks and a pair of Mergs. Set decoys up at 1:00 PM and stayed till 45 minutes after dark. Wanted to see if anything was coming in late. Never saw a duck. Saw one group of five geese high and two more bunches real late. No, I didn't shoot late.

Best goose season I have every had. Worse duck season since the 1960's.
hawkman
hunter

Postby ronvt » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:07 am

Hunted sat morning from a kayak. Did not get out until 10. Saw two small flocks of divers, did not take a shot. Went home and changed and went to the UVM hockey game....probably should have done a night hunt instead :rolleyes: Went out Sunday morning for divers. Hunted from shore because of the wind. It had to be a sustained 35 mph. Saw one small boat on the water getting pounded. Anyway, had 5 whistlers come in...4 left. Not the best percentage. Could see my pattern hitting the water around two feet behind. Shot a solo and called it a day at 9:30, went home and changed my prop. Saw a few flocks but mostly single and pairs staying out over the water. I am keeping the hope alive as some of the best hunts can be december divers. I will try again Thurs.
ronvt
hunter

Postby vt duck » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:15 am

I hunted friday morning only saw 1 small flock of geese high up and 2 single groups of ducks with 2-3 birds in them. then hunted sunday morning again 1 more flock of geese way up high, so i moved and walked around trying to jump shot some ducks.the wetlands in the southern part are starting to close in on the edges with ice, but the ducks are in the open parts of the water. I jumped 1 mallard and 6-7 whistlers and shoot 1 blue winged teal, I hope to do some afternoon hunts this week.
vt duck
hunter

Previous

Return to Vermont Duck Hunting