Maine Sea ducks

Waterfowl topics at their best, post here and read others views on Vermont duck hunting

Moderator: yellodog1

Maine Sea ducks

Postby pete/pmr » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:30 pm

well I had a chance to go out with a great guy from Maine who has a guide service up there and we had a really good time!This guy knows where the ducks are and if you want a good hunt and fun time look him up!

Traditions Guide Service
WWW.TRADITIONSGUIDESERVICE.COM

2013 Season Totals

Canada Geese 105
Mallards 43
Woodies 31
Teal 16
widgeon 8
Blacks 11
Goldeneyes 25 "Take-em"
Buffleheads 4
Bluebills 1
snows 27
Band Count 5
pete/pmr
hunter

Re: Maine Sea ducks

Postby gmannn » Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:25 am

Just got back from the coast deer isle area. A little challenging with the weather but ended up shooting a bushel of eiders and bufflehead. A shooting gallery of a day.
was on a mission to find an eider recipe that was palatable and succeeded with the one below. Had great reviews and I made it last night. Definitely a keeper.
The big dilemma on the sea ducks is how unappetizing they can be. I do believe most people shoot em and leave em. Many say they give them to people on the dock but I have never met these people on the dock. The guides love to give all their eiders to their new unsuspecting clients. Many folks in a conservationist mode just shoot the drakes. I gotta wonder how many of them get eaten. I am generalizing here but there is truth in the fact that sea duck hunting is awesome fun but very few folks I meet eat them.
sooooo..... That said this recipe is a good one and has been making the rounds in the Maine press. I plan to eat what sea ducks I bring home for sure. Trim all fat and make sure they are a little rare as they toughen if well done. I am going to add some dried cherries to it next time I make it.

Sea Duck Jerome, that makes the thick breast meat of
eiders taste like roast beef:
After a couple of soakings in cold water, marinate the breast meat
of two eiders in buttermilk for 48 hours.
Then cut the meat into ¼-inch strips.
Melt ¼-pound of butter in a large pan,
add three tablespoons of red currant jelly,
the juice of half a lemon, a
teaspoon of dry mustard,
and one cup of bourbon.
Bring the mixture to a hard boil,
add the meat,
reduce the heat, and simmer for three or four minutes.
Serve with wild rice and a robust
red wine and I guarantee you’ll never give away another eider duck.
gmannn
hunter

Postby pete/pmr » Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:47 pm

So you were up in my old stomping grounds huh? I use to live up in Sedgwick,actually we still have a house there with 60 acres in the family,about a ten minute ride to the bridge to deer isle! Stonington, Blue Hill! Only problem is I don't know anybody who duck hunts up there and has a boat and decoys,and is local and has scouted the birds! Cause I would spend the month up there for sure!
2013 Season Totals

Canada Geese 105
Mallards 43
Woodies 31
Teal 16
widgeon 8
Blacks 11
Goldeneyes 25 "Take-em"
Buffleheads 4
Bluebills 1
snows 27
Band Count 5
pete/pmr
hunter

Postby gmannn » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:05 am

That is the over all general big area where we were hunting. Went with a guy from our gun club in East Burke who has been there a few times. As visitors we are challenged on any given day by wind and tide combinations but do get it figured out and have some great shooting. Forty MPH wind our last day so headed home. The guy I go with has a Lund alaskan 75HP and full strings of Eider blocks and H bar so we are set up. It is no small undertaking and I am luck for the invite. Low flying ducks and long leads make for great shooting. Hit into the Buffleheads which was nice but did not get any of the oldsquaw where we were. The big flocks of long tails really get me psyched.
gmannn
hunter

Postby pete/pmr » Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:36 am

Well if you want a shorter ride and get into the ducks try getting ahold of Traditions Guide Service,he is located in Southern Maine,Biddeford area,which is like 3 1/2 hours from Vermont,or where we live in Rutland area,and he can certainly put you on the ducks! I must have seen over a hundred ducks and we were only out there for about two hours!
2013 Season Totals

Canada Geese 105
Mallards 43
Woodies 31
Teal 16
widgeon 8
Blacks 11
Goldeneyes 25 "Take-em"
Buffleheads 4
Bluebills 1
snows 27
Band Count 5
pete/pmr
hunter

Postby Vtwaterfowler » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:31 pm

Thats awesome! in the beginning of January i'm headed sea duck hunting off of the coast of Massachusetts!
Vtwaterfowler
hunter

Postby pete/pmr » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:28 am

How did the sea duck hunt go? I am starting to like the whole sea duck hunting thing! Mostly I have been hunting inland rivers ,ponds,swamps, and lakes,but I got a taste of the sea duck hunting and am liking it! So much so that I have been looking for a good duck boat that can handle the ocean and is all set up! Saw one on craigslist down in Long Island,and I am still thinking about driving down too check it out! Let you know how that turns out! I also have access too a family house in Sedgwick Maine,just across the bridge from Deer Island,so I can leave the boat up there and just drive up and stay there for a week or two and hunt,wood stove and house is year round residence with 60 acres of land it sits on to hunt deer,just empty since my uncle passed away,and it is on the market but not selling so I might as well enjoy time up there if I have access too it,until it does sell! Wife hates it up there so we hardly go up!

Here are a couple of pics!

2013 Season Totals

Canada Geese 105
Mallards 43
Woodies 31
Teal 16
widgeon 8
Blacks 11
Goldeneyes 25 "Take-em"
Buffleheads 4
Bluebills 1
snows 27
Band Count 5
pete/pmr
hunter

Postby Vtwaterfowler » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:16 am

it was a blast! My buddy who lives on the coast took us to some islands right on the outside of the open ocean. We shot some eiders, goldeneneyes, mergs, buffleheads, blacks and some huge canada geese. We had several opportunities at brant but apparently I was about 3 feet behind them when my shot hit the water! Anyways it was an awesome trip and will hopefuly be able to do it again! :beer:
Vtwaterfowler
hunter

Postby pete/pmr » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:18 am

Well it all sounds like you had a good time,and I would go again also in a heart beat,I had a great time ,and for the short time we were out there it was great,and I could do that alot! I only have one regret and it is that my dogs were freaked out by the ocean and jumping off the boat to retrieve,which thy did not do,and that means I need to work with them on that! Other than that what a blast! You know we should try to plan something for next year,I have the house and stuff up there so lodging would not be a problem,and it is ten minutes from Deer Isle,and we can work on your friend who has the boat,possibly set something up? :beer:

Or maybe by then I will have a duck boat of my own,am looking into it hard and have traveled to Long Island Ny already looking at a boat! I like it but it is a heavy boat,18 ft,but modifications are all made of wood! And it adds alot of weight! And the boat is fiberglass,modified Stratos?,I think? But I just saw a ad for a Maine built TDB 14ft for sale, and they want 9000.00,trailor Motor,and boat,all running lights work and everything is registered! Trying to talk wife into it now! :rolleyes:
2013 Season Totals

Canada Geese 105
Mallards 43
Woodies 31
Teal 16
widgeon 8
Blacks 11
Goldeneyes 25 "Take-em"
Buffleheads 4
Bluebills 1
snows 27
Band Count 5
pete/pmr
hunter

Postby Vtwaterfowler » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:39 pm

That would be awesome!! I would do that given I have the time to go! I cannot say that I have the best equipment for hunting on the ocean, as we were constantly playing the tides and used the wind as our limit as to where we could go. I don't have any sea duck decoys either.... But i do have a lot of diver duck dekes.. wonder if those would work?? sea ducks seem to come into any type of decoys!!
Vtwaterfowler
hunter

Postby pete/pmr » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:47 am

I have even less sea duck experience,I have been once and I am hooked! I would have to buy some decoys also! I am new to sea duck hunting also,but I want to get into it pretty bad! Boat first,decoys second,shotguns all work on fresh or saltwater! Same with camo and gear,rest of it is locating ducks!
2013 Season Totals

Canada Geese 105
Mallards 43
Woodies 31
Teal 16
widgeon 8
Blacks 11
Goldeneyes 25 "Take-em"
Buffleheads 4
Bluebills 1
snows 27
Band Count 5
pete/pmr
hunter

Postby Vtwaterfowler » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:58 pm

i know what you are saying! But i myself have my head in too many places at once. i just got a layout blind and and a bunch of full body canada decoys and Im in the process of converting an old fishing boat into a hunting boat!
But when you get on the sea ducks it is pretty awesome :beer:
Vtwaterfowler
hunter

Postby pete/pmr » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:36 am

It is all about the juggling! :thumbsup:

If you juggle it right you get alot more hunting in for the year! Budget is also an issue,gas, food ,lodging,ammo,and then the biggest of them all,finding the time to go hunting !

That is the way to go start off small and grow slowly,nothing wrong with that! I have built my waterfowl equiptment up slowly,but I have slowed down my deer hunting purchases,trail cams,new guns,camo,treestands,basically I have more fun duck hunting and goose hunting than deer hunting,I have about 16 treestand,and I am going to sell some this year, my hunting buddies have all moved away or are to old to get up in the stands now,so I might as well sell them,keep some,for bow hunting,accouple climbers,and accouple ladder stands I will keep,the rest are getting sold,the funds from that are going into other hunting stuff like decoys or camo or a boat! Every year we have a town wide yard sale and that is when it will be going,August just before the waterfowl season! Might not make a lot of money on them but it all helps! Building it up slowly! :wink:
2013 Season Totals

Canada Geese 105
Mallards 43
Woodies 31
Teal 16
widgeon 8
Blacks 11
Goldeneyes 25 "Take-em"
Buffleheads 4
Bluebills 1
snows 27
Band Count 5
pete/pmr
hunter

Postby Vtwaterfowler » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:39 pm

well thats the plan! but if the timing is right I would definitely go to the ocean and try my luck on some big eiders and scoters!
Vtwaterfowler
hunter

Postby pete/pmr » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:03 am

you know in southern Maine they have alot of marshy covers and alot of ducks hang out in them,and the tides work in there too,but without the wind and waves! So a smaller boat might be a good thing to start with? When I went out with Troy,it was a blast but the sea was a bit rough,we had some good swales and it was not a place I would have been without a big boat,think his was like 18ft,heavy and built for that type of use! The TDB I was looking at was sold two days before I got down there to check it out! Actually was still in his yard,he was waiting on the guy to come back with the check! I was bummed! Because that boat would have worked in the marshes and on open water!
2013 Season Totals

Canada Geese 105
Mallards 43
Woodies 31
Teal 16
widgeon 8
Blacks 11
Goldeneyes 25 "Take-em"
Buffleheads 4
Bluebills 1
snows 27
Band Count 5
pete/pmr
hunter

Postby Vtwaterfowler » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:04 pm

Pete, are ya still going sea duck hunting this year or have you already gone?? If you have how did you do? I probly wont make it out this yr as i have had some spendy automobile fixes, but im not gonna complain because i had a really good duck season here in VT.
Vtwaterfowler
hunter

Postby pete/pmr » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:47 am

working on putting together a hunt but not sure if it is going to happen! Property in Maine just sold!So I am trying to figure out other lodging arrangements but most of the places are closed for the winter,mostly summer tourist spot,not alot open on the island in the winter!!
2013 Season Totals

Canada Geese 105
Mallards 43
Woodies 31
Teal 16
widgeon 8
Blacks 11
Goldeneyes 25 "Take-em"
Buffleheads 4
Bluebills 1
snows 27
Band Count 5