Snow Geese

Waterfowl topics at their best, post here and read others views on Vermont duck hunting

Moderator: yellodog1

Snow Geese

Postby hawkman » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:57 am

My buddies in Missouri say the snows are headed north now. Anyone seeing any snows here yet?
hawkman
hunter

Re: Snow Geese

Postby goldeneye13 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:30 pm

Nop but on friday I saw half a dozen Canadian just north of the Border in Napierville. Go figure.
A bad day fishing is better then a good day at work
goldeneye13
hunter

Postby pete/pmr » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:30 am

Hey goldeneye13 or hawkman,are you guys locally situated in the Champlain Valley,close to Addison or there abouts? I am planning to drive up there ,(from North Clarendon),and check around for geese, but if you guys are closer it would be a big help if you could post something if you are seeing snows up there? Save me some gas and maybe we could hook up for a hunt on some of the properties I have permission to hunt in and around the preserve ?
2013 Season Totals

Canada Geese 105
Mallards 43
Woodies 31
Teal 16
widgeon 8
Blacks 11
Goldeneyes 25 "Take-em"
Buffleheads 4
Bluebills 1
snows 27
Band Count 5
pete/pmr
hunter

Postby hawkman » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:42 am

I am in Lyndonville on the east side of the state. Have not seen a goose since mid January. Hunt over here most of the time. Hunt the Champlain Valley when I can locate birds there. It is tough to scout Champlain when I live so far away. Have a few contacts over there but they have not seen anything significant yet. Already committed to one hunt in the north end of Champlain mid March but it will be a crap shoot. Always willing to hook up. Don't have any buddies in Vermont who like to hunt ducks and geese. Got plenty of gear to share...boat, layout blind, about 100 snow rags, etc.

North of Kansas City, Missouri they are pounding them. My buddy out there tore up his sholder and cannot hunt. Some other friends of his came home with 112 one day last week.

If I locate anything I'll send you a PM. Like I say, I'm looking for company.
hawkman
hunter

Postby CHSAPKS » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:33 am

There was a few hundred flying over Alburg yesterday afternoon..
CHSAPKS
hunter

Postby goldeneye13 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:00 pm

I'm in Alburg but haven't seen any good numbers out there yet. The only open water is off Windmill point and north. I haven't taken a ride around Isle Lamotte to know if they are in the area. I'll give it a look over the week and keep you posted. I've never really had a chance to hunt snow geese in the spring. Just not set up for it. But I sure can send you a PM when I see migration around here.

Fred
A bad day fishing is better then a good day at work
goldeneye13
hunter

Postby pete/pmr » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:28 am

thanks guys i am anxious to get out and do some hunting! Give the dogs a workout also!
2013 Season Totals

Canada Geese 105
Mallards 43
Woodies 31
Teal 16
widgeon 8
Blacks 11
Goldeneyes 25 "Take-em"
Buffleheads 4
Bluebills 1
snows 27
Band Count 5
pete/pmr
hunter

Postby pete/pmr » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:02 am

hawkman wrote:I am in Lyndonville on the east side of the state. Have not seen a goose since mid January. Hunt over here most of the time. Hunt the Champlain Valley when I can locate birds there. It is tough to scout Champlain when I live so far away. Have a few contacts over there but they have not seen anything significant yet. Already committed to one hunt in the north end of Champlain mid March but it will be a crap shoot. Always willing to hook up. Don't have any buddies in Vermont who like to hunt ducks and geese. Got plenty of gear to share...boat, layout blind, about 100 snow rags, etc.

North of Kansas City, Missouri they are pounding them. My buddy out there tore up his sholder and cannot hunt. Some other friends of his came home with 112 one day last week.

If I locate anything I'll send you a PM. Like I say, I'm looking for company.

I think we are at opposite ends of the state Hawkman,you are up by St Jay right? I am south of Rutland! Or are you down by Stratton...Never mind thinking of Londonderry! Get them confused all the time! But I am always looking for someone to hunt with also! Maybe we can hook up this season! I am always hunting Canada's and ducks around Lake Champlain! I have alot of gear to share also,three lay-out blinds,4 dozen full body geese decoys and atleast 3 dozen mallard,woodies,teal,some goldeneyes,some bufflehead,got alot of decoys! My problem is no boat!Had a boat but sold it to upgrade and all the upgrades I was after are gone,either sold before I got there or not what I was looking for! My plan is to have one before duck season this year!I also have duck blinds built on private lands along the creek down here,plus alot of corn and alfalfa fields for geese! So we could work out as a good team if we were not so far apart! I have never hunted up in the Conn.River area,except when I lived in West Newbury,but that was deer and partridge mostly! Miss those hills!
2013 Season Totals

Canada Geese 105
Mallards 43
Woodies 31
Teal 16
widgeon 8
Blacks 11
Goldeneyes 25 "Take-em"
Buffleheads 4
Bluebills 1
snows 27
Band Count 5
pete/pmr
hunter

Postby vt duck » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:21 pm

hey pete

I'm have just starting out waterfowl hunting last season was my frist year, i live 5 min. from the conn. river in springfield. I hunt a few cron fields and marshs round the river. If you would like to hook up and hunt down here a time or 2 maybe you could show me around up there, I icefish some of the lakes around castleton for big pike. i saw a 200-300 geese and 50-60 ducks go off me house on saturday when i was outside, buddy of mine lives right on the river and said he has seen 1500-2000 geese in the last week with some snows mixing with them.
vt duck
hunter

Postby Vt~Vinci » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:37 pm

Hey guys, just joined up. I'm out of Highgate just outside st. Albans. Took 2 snows out of alburg last Sunday. Going back this Sunday. They are definitely there. Saw hundreds bit didn't have a snow goose call legit decoys or layout blinds. Still managed 2 though. Fills in the gap between seasons nicely, I was really gettin itchy!
Vt~Vinci
hunter

Postby hawkman » Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:19 pm

Did good. We got 87 over two days. Afraid they may be moving on with this hot weather. Will be scouting the Conn river this weekend.
Attachments
P3181399.JPG
First Day
hawkman
hunter

Postby pete/pmr » Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:31 pm

Nice job on the snows! Man that looks like you had a busy and fun day!
2013 Season Totals

Canada Geese 105
Mallards 43
Woodies 31
Teal 16
widgeon 8
Blacks 11
Goldeneyes 25 "Take-em"
Buffleheads 4
Bluebills 1
snows 27
Band Count 5
pete/pmr
hunter

Postby Vt~Vinci » Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:15 pm

That's frickin sweet dude! Scoped out my field today. It was packed with snows so I'm hoping tomorrow will be the same and I can actually have a productive day this time around. Keepin my fingers crossed!
Vt~Vinci
hunter

Postby pete/pmr » Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:46 pm

Got lucky Thursday and caught 25 of them in my corn field out back,had to run and gun them,and got 3 shots off and dropped 4 snows! Fun for 3 minutes!
2013 Season Totals

Canada Geese 105
Mallards 43
Woodies 31
Teal 16
widgeon 8
Blacks 11
Goldeneyes 25 "Take-em"
Buffleheads 4
Bluebills 1
snows 27
Band Count 5