Increase Bear Hunting Opportunities?????

Waterfowl topics at their best, post here and read others views on Vermont duck hunting

Moderator: yellodog1

Increase Bear Hunting Opportunities?????

Postby yellodog1 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:42 am

I recently came across this new proposal by the Vermont Fish and Wildlife Board (See Below) in regards to INCREASING Vermonts Black Bear Hunting opportunities. (Why its called an increase in opportunities is beyond me, but anyway)

Apparently the board wants to add a $5.00 tag to the normal Vermont hunting license in order to hunt black bears in the State. Beyond the fact that I don't see how adding a fee to get a tag to hunt bears in the State, which is essentially part of the regular hunting license now, I have one major problem with the proposal.
I have asked this question a number of times, and can not get an answer from Vermont Fish and Wildlife. I bought both of my kids Lifetime hunting licenses over 5 years ago. With those lifetime licenses they received Bear tags, and presumeably would receive those tags for life. Now the Board, in order to increase revenue has adopted a Bear Tag with a $5.00 fee. Both of my kids will now have to pay the $5.00 tag fee in order to hunt bears in the State. Thus they have lost out on an opportunity that I feel as though they were promised. The issue is not the $5.00 fee for the bear tag, but where does it end? In 5 years when the State needs some other type of revenue stream, will they adopt a deer tag? How about a trout permit, or Ice fishing permit? I see this as an erosion of what was promised with the lifetime license. I am not the only one out there with the same questions. I have emailed all the memebers of the Fish and Wildlife Board, and paid members of Fish and Wildlife.

Anyone with a Lifetime License has the same issue. You aren't getting what you were promised. I urge everyone on here to contact the Fish and Wildlife Board on this issue.

3-22-2012
Board Votes to Increase Vermont’s black bear Hunting Opportunities

VERMONT FISH and WILDLIFE DEPARTMENT
News release
For Immediate Release: Mar. 22, 2012
Contact: Mark Scott Director of Wildlife, 802-583-7194 or mark.scott@state.vt.us
Forrest Hammond 802-885-8855

Board Votes to Increase Vermont’s black bear Hunting Opportunities
Early season bear tag also part of proposed changes to bear hunting

WAITSFIELD, VT – The Vermont Fish & Wildlife Board on Wednesday gave preliminary approval to a proposal designed to stabilize the growth in Vermont’s bear population, expand hunter opportunity, and provide Fish & Wildlife Department biologists with important data to better manage black bears in Vermont.

The board voted on a proposal presented by department biologists that would extend the annual bear season by four days and establish a new, separate black bear tag for those hunters who want to pursue bear in advance of the November deer rifle season.

Under the proposal, the overlap of the annual bear and November deer rifle season would increase from five to nine days. Additionally, bear hunters pursuing bears from the Sept. 1 opening day of bear season up until the opening day of deer season would be required to purchase an inexpensive bear tag ($5 for residents and $15 for nonresidents). Hunters wishing to only take a bear during the time period of the bear season overlap with the November deer season will continue to get a bear tag along with their deer tag on their general hunting license at no additional cost. The changes will take effect in 2013.

“We’re fortunate in Vermont to have a healthy, and growing, black bear population,” said Mark Scott, Director of Wildlife for Vermont Fish & Wildlife. “The additional four days of hunting opportunities we’ll add in November under this proposal will help us to slowly stabilize the bear population. Additionally, the bear license will enable us to gather essential information about hunter effort and success as well as an idea of overall bear hunter numbers, measures that are vital for better estimates of bear populations across Vermont. It is our belief that bear management in Vermont can then be more responsive to changing bear populations and public interests.”

Biologists estimate Vermont’s bear population at about 6,000 animals, which is at the upper end of the population goals outlined in the Vermont Big Game Management Plan (2010-2020). Four hundred bears were harvested in 2011. Hunters typically harvest between 400-600 black bears each autumn in Vermont. The annual bag limit for bears is one per hunter.

“In 1990, Vermont’s bear season was shortened by four days in November because we had an objective at that time to increase the bear population,” said Scott. “We achieved that objective, and now we’re aiming to stabilize the population. In recent years we’ve seen a tripling of bear-human conflicts and an eightfold increase in automobile collisions with bears.”

As part of the Fish & Wildlife Board’s rule process, the proposal must be voted on at two more upcoming board meetings. Additionally, the department is recommending that one or more public hearings be held related to the adoption of this rule.
Hunt Vermont
yellodog1
State Moderator

Re: Increase Bear Hunting Opportunities?????

Postby HOPIN4ABOAT » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:27 am

Are you positive it won't be included, every other state that I know of that has a lifetime licenses all tags past, present and future from that time on are included. This just happened in Florida with deer stamps and management area permits all of which were included in previous lifetime licenses.
Montanafowler wrote:check the jiblets real good, nothing scarier than seeing a bug biting your balls :lol3:
HOPIN4ABOAT
hunter

Postby yellodog1 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:12 pm

I've gotten no clear answers, essentially I am told that it's a good question. That tells me it hasn't even been talked about. Thus meaning: Buy an extra tag.
Hunt Vermont
yellodog1
State Moderator

Postby Vt~Vinci » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:52 pm

I'm pretty sure it's just talking about the extra 4 days where u could hunt bear. For the rest of the time the tag that normally comes with your license is all u would need. It's not changing the existing tag system just adding an extra 4 days where if u wanted to hunt in those 4 days u would need the extra tag. I personally am not opposed to that.
Vt~Vinci
hunter

Re: Re: Increase Bear Hunting Opportunities?????

Postby HOPIN4ABOAT » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:13 pm

Vt~Vinci wrote:I'm pretty sure it's just talking about the extra 4 days where u could hunt bear. For the rest of the time the tag that normally comes with your license is all u would need. It's not changing the existing tag system just adding an extra 4 days where if u wanted to hunt in those 4 days u would need the extra tag. I personally am not opposed to that.

I disagree if you buy yourself or your children a lifetime license in a state it should include everything hunting and fishing that state has to offer or at the very minimum everything that was advertised to cover for the duration of ones life.
Montanafowler wrote:check the jiblets real good, nothing scarier than seeing a bug biting your balls :lol3:
HOPIN4ABOAT
hunter

Postby Vt~Vinci » Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:02 am

I hear what you're saying but its not as though they're reducing what u originally paid for. It is kinda bush league and it definitely would be nice of it was included but at least they aren't cutting you back.
Vt~Vinci
hunter

Return to Vermont Duck Hunting