Deer season 2006

Waterfowl topics at their best, post here and read others views on Vermont duck hunting

Moderator: yellodog1

Deer season 2006

Postby yellodog1 » Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:44 pm

How do you think deer season will end up this year? We had a real low kill last year due to the antler restrictions, but it was a very moderate winter. Ive seen quite a few deer so far this year. What does everyone else think about how deer season in vermont will end up?
yellodog1
State Moderator

Postby yellodog1 » Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:00 pm

Where are you guys deer hunting this year? In Vermont or out of state?
yellodog1
State Moderator

Postby yellodog1 » Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:31 am

Franklin County Vermont had the highest Deer Kill per sq. Mile last year, in the state. Franklin County doubled some of the other counties. Good thing I live right up here in the area. Usually I hunt in Starksboro area, not this year.
yellodog1
State Moderator

Postby VTduckman » Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:56 am

Down here I have seen the most deer I ever have for this area. I think in part due to the restrictions and also the very mild winter. It made for lots of turkeys anyway :thumbsup:

I will be hunting in and out of state. First thing i am going to Illinois Sep 27 for there archery season for 1 week. We are hunting some farmers land that my dad hunted last year. To bad i will miss the duck season opener :thumbsdown: Oh well, at least i dont miss my last youth days.
Then i will hunt archery here, mabey shoot a 6 that has been prowlin around, before everybody and there brother is down here blastn away with there rifles. Then i hope to fill my land owner muzzleloader permit.
Season Totals-
Canada's-Alot
2 Mallards
2 Blacks
15 Green Wing
5 Wood Ducks
1 Can.
1 Pintail
Hooded Merganser
VTduckman
hunter

Postby jeepster » Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:53 pm

My wife and I are both from Vermont. I am from Wheelock and she is from SO RO. We live in kentucky now and the hunting here is great. Our deer season starts Sept first and runs til January 16th. I will be back to go to deer camp next month for the first time in four years. I am hoping for a good season, but am wondering how people feel about the antler restrictions? I know if I still lived up there I would be glad that the state is finally doing something to improve the herd. We are allowed three does and one buck every year here in Kentucky and most of the time anything less than 120 P&Y walks even though we have no size restrictions.
jeepster
Newb

Postby yellodog1 » Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:16 am

I dont mind the antler restrictions. I think the State needed to do something to help increase the deer population, of both bucks and does. Limiting the doe kill some helps as well. Im not looking for any trophies, but limiting the size of racks allows more deer to get a bit bigger and gives a few more a chance to breed. We should see this year and next how it worked.
Hunt Vermont
yellodog1
State Moderator

Return to Vermont Duck Hunting