Snow Goose Hunting in Vermont

Waterfowl topics at their best, post here and read others views on Vermont duck hunting

Moderator: yellodog1

Snow Goose Hunting in Vermont

Postby yellodog1 » Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:50 pm

How does everyone do with Snow Geese in Vermont. I got a couple last year jump shooting, there were about 6 in a group of roughly 500 Canadian Geese, in a river. Those were my first Snow Geese in Vermont, however I have seen a lot flying. Does anybody ever decoy for snows in Vermont and where do you go?
yellodog1
State Moderator

Postby VTduckman » Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:02 am

My friend does. They seemed to do alright, but after she got a divorce, he took half the decoys. I have gotten a few sneaking em, but man its hard!
Season Totals-
Canada's-Alot
2 Mallards
2 Blacks
15 Green Wing
5 Wood Ducks
1 Can.
1 Pintail
Hooded Merganser
VTduckman
hunter

Postby yellodog1 » Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:33 pm

How did everyone end up doing with the snows? Any luck?
Hunt Vermont
yellodog1
State Moderator

Postby doogie494 » Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:59 am

i have a grand total of ..........3!!!
Doug

Dead Creek for Snows

Postby The Old Warden » Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:57 am

The snow goose migration consentrates in Addison on the Dead Creek WMA. The Department runs a controlled hunt on MON, WED and FRI mornings. You have to draw for the blinds ( to late for that now) but they fill in no shows the mornings of the hunt. I'd call down there and see what the status is for birds and hunters. They didn't seem to be the numbers this year. Some years they have 20,000 on the refuge.
Most guys use big layouts of 1,000 rags or more with flyers etc. But the adult birds are shy and hard to decoy in. some of my friends are having better luck locating a field they are working in the afternoon and then laying out in that field the next morning with no decoys.
Good luck
The Old Warden
hunter

Postby doogie494 » Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:36 pm

First of all, welcome to the forum TOW. Glad to see another Vermonster in here. As far a sDead Creek goes, i think that their all done with the controlled hunts this year, i will have to double check. We have had some big flocks fly over the last few days while out duck hunting on Champlain. It almost seems like the geese are running a little late as i have heard some reports of a lot of birds still up North. keep an eye out for us up there will ya. :thumbsup:
Doug

Postby quackups » Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:20 pm

Wasn't hunting yesterday but I did see a smasll flock of snows in addison area yesterday along with some canada's. Saw several nice flocks of canadas in Shelburne and Burlington area to.
quackups
hunter

Puddle ducks arownd???

Postby The Old Warden » Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:13 am

Is anyone seeing any puddle ducks in the Ferrisburg area. I have a buddy who wants to give it one more try. I haven't seen or heard many in the Litlle Ottor where I have been deer hunting.
The Old Warden
hunter

Postby quackups » Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:22 pm

I have seen just a few mallards here and there around addison area but thats been it. We did see a lot geese today on the lake both snows and canada's
quackups
hunter

Postby The Old Warden » Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:37 am

While I was deer hunting yesterday afternoon at Little River WMA I heard and saw tons of snows flying high. One flock had at least 500 birds and there was wave after wave coming over at dusk. I suspect they will be stopping at Dead Creek. Heading down that way later this morning and will let folks know what I see. Canada's seem to be flying in the Shelburne area also. Could be the same flock that has been feeding south of town for weeks now.
Also talked with a guy jump shooting from a canoe - said he has been doing ok jumping but no luck using decoys.
The Old Warden
hunter

Return to Vermont Duck Hunting