Low Water

Waterfowl topics at their best, post here and read others views on Vermont duck hunting

Moderator: yellodog1

Low Water

Postby LBeinhaur » Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:47 am

Been doing some scouting and not seeing much down by the Lake South of the bridge or on Dead Creek.
There has been a water draw down on Dead creek so the water is only ankle deep in most places where I hunt. Can't even get a canoe or kayak in the water. With my bad knees it's hard to even walk out and get the blind built, Hopefully they will bring the water level back up or we will get a good rain before duck season starts.
May spend more time hunting the lake this year.
LBeinhaur
hunter

Re: Low Water

Postby pete/pmr » Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:20 am

Even the lake is crazy low! We need some good rain for certain to bring up the water levels state wide! I have not been out yet to even try to set blinds,gonna have to get on it soon!
2013 Season Totals

Canada Geese 105
Mallards 43
Woodies 31
Teal 16
widgeon 8
Blacks 11
Goldeneyes 25 "Take-em"
Buffleheads 4
Bluebills 1
snows 27
Band Count 5
pete/pmr
hunter

Postby RangerX » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:32 pm

Tuesday night's rain helped a bit... still 5 weeks left gentlement, keep the faith. We will get some rain...

On the bright side, I've been seeing a decent amount of ducks in all my usual spots... much more than last year.

I hope we get some cold weather this time... I can't wait to be breaking ice and knocking down those red legs... :)
RangerX
hunter

Postby pete/pmr » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:23 am

I think we will get more rain ....just hope it is enough before the season opens? Lots of guys down south on the lake hunt East Creek and last time I looked it was so low that they are not going to be able to get up in there with boats! Kayaks maybe? Then alot of mud to deal with to get to pot holes that might hold birds!
2013 Season Totals

Canada Geese 105
Mallards 43
Woodies 31
Teal 16
widgeon 8
Blacks 11
Goldeneyes 25 "Take-em"
Buffleheads 4
Bluebills 1
snows 27
Band Count 5
pete/pmr
hunter

Postby RangerX » Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:41 pm

With colder temps coming, the swamps will start holding more of the rain we get... no worries. I've been seeing an TON of woodies this year... I've already knocked down 16 geese, but man, I can't wait for the ducks...
RangerX
hunter

Postby pete/pmr » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:36 am

Southern Vt is at a stand still on geese,I am having trouble finding huntable geese,it is like they can read the friggin posted signs! Or they are camping out inside city limits! Telling you I have not shot a goose yet! Depressing!

The water has started to come up and I think it will be a fun season for ducks,the creek is full of Woodies and Mallards down here! Have been seeing some teal and alot of Widgeon! Have not scouted Champlain yet but intend too shortly! Think I may find more geese up north and I need to get up there and do some scouting!
2013 Season Totals

Canada Geese 105
Mallards 43
Woodies 31
Teal 16
widgeon 8
Blacks 11
Goldeneyes 25 "Take-em"
Buffleheads 4
Bluebills 1
snows 27
Band Count 5
pete/pmr
hunter

Postby snogoose » Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:20 pm

I have lost any sense of optimism about this season. I'm hypothesizing that with the low water more vegetation is exposed and the geese are not leaving their roosts and the ducks are out in deeper water, not in the dried up swamps....hope I'm wrong! :help:
snogoose
hunter

Postby RangerX » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:23 am

snogoose wrote:I have lost any sense of optimism about this season. I'm hypothesizing that with the low water more vegetation is exposed and the geese are not leaving their roosts and the ducks are out in deeper water, not in the dried up swamps....hope I'm wrong! :help:

Not sure where you are looking but I'm seeing excellent numbers of wood ducks and mallards. In regards to geese, they have been in the corn for the past two weeks... shouldn't be too hard to find them. We've bagged 34 geese in 6 hunts, the last one was on the water and we shot our limit... Where are you looking, north champlain or south?
RangerX
hunter

Postby pete/pmr » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:25 am

I was at Champlain yesterday and will be there today and the bay /cove behind the house is full of mallards! Water is still low and the water is as low as I have ever seen it,but the birds are still out there behind the house! I know how it is going down on opening day,lay-out blinds by the water edge! No boat !

Gonna piss off some neighbors again this year,they do not want anyone shooting in the cove! Oh well! :yes:
2013 Season Totals

Canada Geese 105
Mallards 43
Woodies 31
Teal 16
widgeon 8
Blacks 11
Goldeneyes 25 "Take-em"
Buffleheads 4
Bluebills 1
snows 27
Band Count 5
pete/pmr
hunter

Postby RangerX » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:32 am

pete/pmr wrote:I was at Champlain yesterday and will be there today and the bay /cove behind the house is full of mallards! Water is still low and the water is as low as I have ever seen it,but the birds are still out there behind the house! I know how it is going down on opening day,lay-out blinds by the water edge! No boat !

Gonna piss off some neighbors again this year,they do not want anyone shooting in the cove! Oh well! :yes:

Seeing the same here Pete, low water in all my spots, but absolutely loaded with birds. I'm taking my daughter out this weekend... she is going to have a blast!
RangerX
hunter

Return to Vermont Duck Hunting