Mud Creek

Waterfowl topics at their best, post here and read others views on Vermont duck hunting

Moderator: yellodog1

Mud Creek

Postby centralvthunter » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:55 pm

Went to Mud Creek today, three of the six groups showed up. Got out there after a rough portage and only having one person tip over and saw geese everywhere, they were flying around us like mosquitos. We were in section six and the geese never really came in, they were all going in on 3 and 4. Got one goose and a couple greenwing teals. Still an incredible experience
centralvthunter
hunter

Re: Mud Creek

Postby pete/pmr » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:39 am

It is really something to see when the birds are there and flying all around overhead! Sometimes I just enjoy watching them! On more than one occation I have been caught up in watching them that I have forgot to shoot when they come into the spread! :thumbsup:
2013 Season Totals

Canada Geese 105
Mallards 43
Woodies 31
Teal 16
widgeon 8
Blacks 11
Goldeneyes 25 "Take-em"
Buffleheads 4
Bluebills 1
snows 27
Band Count 5
pete/pmr
hunter

Postby chambo32 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:20 am

On the second opener I had a similiar experience 5 mins before shooting time where we had 150 teal, mallards and woodies decoy and surround us :biggrin: We just sat there smiling and no one dared shoot at LST as it was so cool.
chambo32
hunter

Postby joyfulsound866 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:28 pm

look out for the colorful ink from the big spill that happened up there!! haha jk. it looks like they cleaned it up really well!!
joyfulsound866
hunter

Postby Wingnaught » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:36 pm

joyfulsound866 wrote:look out for the colorful ink from the big spill that happened up there!! haha jk. it looks like they cleaned it up really well!!

I was wondering what that ink nonsense was all about until I drove by this morning and saw the day glow green water. I thought that those guys were just putting up a new culvert until I looked it up and saw that there was an actual ink spill.
Wingnaught
Newb

Postby pete/pmr » Mon May 27, 2013 7:40 am

So how does mud creek hunting work is it assigned hunting spots or can I launch my boat anywhere and set up? My bad I confused Mud Creek with Dead Creek!
2013 Season Totals

Canada Geese 105
Mallards 43
Woodies 31
Teal 16
widgeon 8
Blacks 11
Goldeneyes 25 "Take-em"
Buffleheads 4
Bluebills 1
snows 27
Band Count 5
pete/pmr
hunter

Postby CHSAPKS » Wed May 29, 2013 1:38 am

Pete,

Waterfowl hunting at Mud Creek WMA is a pre-registration hunt. Any vacancies due to “no-shows” on those days will be filled on the morning of the hunt. All other Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays during the open seasons will be self-registration days. Permits will be available at the Mud Creek operations building.
CHSAPKS
hunter

Postby pete/pmr » Fri May 31, 2013 7:22 am

Thanks for the heads up! I google earthed the river to see its path and followed it from New Haven to Ferrisburg, and it looks like it gets wide open towards Ferrisburg, but I built a jiffy mart right by the creek in New Haven a few years back and noticed alot of ducks and geese hold in that end of it! Is the whole creek managed that way?

And where is the office for the registration or place you need to go too register?
2013 Season Totals

Canada Geese 105
Mallards 43
Woodies 31
Teal 16
widgeon 8
Blacks 11
Goldeneyes 25 "Take-em"
Buffleheads 4
Bluebills 1
snows 27
Band Count 5
pete/pmr
hunter

Postby CHSAPKS » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:37 am

Pete,

Mud Creek WMA is up North in Alburg.
CHSAPKS
hunter

Postby CHSAPKS » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:38 am

Not sure about Dead Creek WMA? :huh:
CHSAPKS
hunter

Postby pete/pmr » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:32 am

There are two Mud Creeks,one is just a creek and the one up in Alburg is the WMA! The one I saw on google earth is in New Haven and runs too Ferrisburg where it enters Lake Champlain! I am going to look into that area from the Lake back up the creek,as it looks like it could hold alot of birds!

I would not want to drive way up too Alburg to hunt unless I was going to do it for a whole weekend! I know there are plenty of birds down here and alot of spots probably just as good along Champlain, with less restrictions and a waiting list, or lottery drawing.LOL

Dead Creek WMA is in Addison Vt,it is a goose preserve,but is full of ducks also,big spot for snow geese in the fall,well it use too be! Now most of the snows go over to the New York side of the lake,farming practices are a lot more attractive to the geese over there than they are in Vermont! But there is usually a good run of snows still, not like it use too be. But from what I have seen of the ducks that hang in that management area, it is a hot spot! A condensed hot spot! I must have saw 1000 ducks in a small section there last year that was maybe 100 yards wide,maybe 400-500 yards long,but you cannot hunt there,or that section,but you can hunt all around it! Not to mention the Canada Geese,they hold in and around there also! But I am not a person who knows for sure how the hunting is there,just from what I have seen scouting it looked really good! I have yet too hunt there! But because of a recent purchase I made,... I am going in this year for certain! :thumbsup:
2013 Season Totals

Canada Geese 105
Mallards 43
Woodies 31
Teal 16
widgeon 8
Blacks 11
Goldeneyes 25 "Take-em"
Buffleheads 4
Bluebills 1
snows 27
Band Count 5