Constant callers!

Waterfowl topics at their best, post here and read others views on Vermont duck hunting

Moderator: yellodog1

Constant callers!

Postby LBeinhaur » Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:25 am

Had a group hunting about 300 yards from me yesterday and they were constantly , constantly calling on a duck call. And not well at that, High pitched extremly fast calls. This was going on ALL day. And when a goose or flock of geese were nearby they started on the goose call, AND they were the worst sky busters I have ever seen. I saw then shoot at a flock of geese that were probably 125 yards away! I notice as I was leaving that they had a kid with them about 12 or 13.
Now I am all for taking a kid hunting and do so my self. But don't you think the father should have enough common sense to try and teach him or even the group how to use a call and NOT to sky bust????
Along with that they were set up oly about 100 yards from the access road and I would imagine that was unnerving for anyone passing by!!!
OK, I'm done with my rant!! I wish I could say something to them but I doubt it would do any good, maybe they won't be there today!!
LBeinhaur
hunter

Re: Constant callers!

Postby Vt~Vinci » Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:41 pm

Well, here's a few things for thought. First, 100 yards from the access road is more than enough, as you clearly stated, shooting at geese 125 yards away is ridiculous so their is no danger to anyone passing at 100 yards either. Second, running a goose call the second you hear geese downwind is kinda key if they aren't headed your direction to begin with. Third, welcome to public hunting in VT as far as the duck calling goes. Keep in mind though that it's not important what you personally think of their calling as long as birds are attracted to it.
Vt~Vinci
hunter

Postby Lavman » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:13 am

What is skybusting?
Lavman
hunter

Postby RangerX » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:26 am

I hear ya here... I can't stand people that call hard at birds... People need to realize this isn't the Mississippi flyway and there are not 3000 bird flocks passing. Not reason to beat them to death on a call...

LBeinhaur wrote:Had a group hunting about 300 yards from me yesterday and they were constantly , constantly calling on a duck call. And not well at that, High pitched extremly fast calls. This was going on ALL day. And when a goose or flock of geese were nearby they started on the goose call, AND they were the worst sky busters I have ever seen. I saw then shoot at a flock of geese that were probably 125 yards away! I notice as I was leaving that they had a kid with them about 12 or 13.
Now I am all for taking a kid hunting and do so my self. But don't you think the father should have enough common sense to try and teach him or even the group how to use a call and NOT to sky bust????
Along with that they were set up oly about 100 yards from the access road and I would imagine that was unnerving for anyone passing by!!!
OK, I'm done with my rant!! I wish I could say something to them but I doubt it would do any good, maybe they won't be there today!!
RangerX
hunter

Postby LBeinhaur » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:41 am

Let me clarify a bit. These people shot at everthing that came by , in range or not. Their calling was constant not just when birds were in the area. They did not even begin to know how to use a goose call, just squaked on it and scared more birds away then they called in. As for public hunting, I am well aware that everybody has a right to hunt where they wish as do I. I have had the same blind in the same palce for several years and all the others hunters and I respect each others space, These guys should do the same.
LBeinhaur
hunter

Postby LBeinhaur » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:44 am

Lavman,

Sky busting is shooting at ducks or geese that are flying over well out of range, like at 75 or 100 yards up.
LBeinhaur
hunter

Postby Lavman » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:24 pm

LBeinhaur wrote:Lavman,

Sky busting is shooting at ducks or geese that are flying over well out of range, like at 75 or 100 yards up.

Roger that, thanks for the clarification.

Where were you hunting?
Lavman
hunter

Postby pete/pmr » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:53 am

This is why it is so hard to hunt on public areas for me! I do understand new people to duck and goose hunting,that they tend to go crazy with calls and sound horrible,but if they do not have someone educated in the sport mentoring them,well what other choice do they have other than going out there and giving it a shot on thier own?

For me this becomes a chance to talk with them after the hunt,(basically when I pack up because I cannot take it any longer),and stop by thier set up or on the boat landing,and strike up a conversation with them. As politely as possible I try to explain the way to do things that works for me! Calling,setting up,waiting for the birds to respond to the calling and coming into shooting range,and things like that! If we do not try to help new hunters learn how to hunt properly and ethically,we are as much as fault as they are, because at one time or another we were all new to the sport! Some of us more fortunate than others to have had a mentor who showed or taught us the right way to do things! So it is our responsibility to do our best to try to educate people we see doing it all wrong,because until someone does, they will continue to go about it all wrong!

And that will just give us all a bad name, and they will continue to do things the way they are,and most of them are not trying to be disrespectful,because they just do not know! Most people are eager to learn and willing to except help from others that are more experienced than they are,because it only helps them to learn quicker! They all know they do not have a clue,but they are showing a desire to be out there,and if we help them, they will only become better hunters and more respectful! And isn't that what we want out there around us?
2013 Season Totals

Canada Geese 105
Mallards 43
Woodies 31
Teal 16
widgeon 8
Blacks 11
Goldeneyes 25 "Take-em"
Buffleheads 4
Bluebills 1
snows 27
Band Count 5
pete/pmr
hunter

Postby Lavman » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:14 am

pete/pmr wrote:This is why it is so hard to hunt on public areas for me! I do understand new people to duck and goose hunting,that they tend to go crazy with calls and sound horrible,but if they do not have someone educated in the sport mentoring them,well what other choice do they have other than going out there and giving it a shot on thier own?

For me this becomes a chance to talk with them after the hunt,(basically when I pack up because I cannot take it any longer),and stop by thier set up or on the boat landing,and strike up a conversation with them. As politely as possible I try to explain the way to do things that works for me! Calling,setting up,waiting for the birds to respond to the calling and coming into shooting range,and things like that! If we do not try to help new hunters learn how to hunt properly and ethically,we are as much as fault as they are, because at one time or another we were all new to the sport! Some of us more fortunate than others to have had a mentor who showed or taught us the right way to do things! So it is our responsibility to do our best to try to educate people we see doing it all wrong,because until someone does, they will continue to go about it all wrong!

And that will just give us all a bad name, and they will continue to do things the way they are,and most of them are not trying to be disrespectful,because they just do not know! Most people are eager to learn and willing to except help from others that are more experienced than they are,because it only helps them to learn quicker! They all know they do not have a clue,but they are showing a desire to be out there,and if we help them, they will only become better hunters and more respectful! And isn't that what we want out there around us?

Well said Pete :beer:
Lavman
hunter

Return to Vermont Duck Hunting