Divers

Waterfowl topics at their best, post here and read others views on Vermont duck hunting

Moderator: yellodog1

Divers

Postby gmannn » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:09 pm

Raft upon raft of buffleheads this week - hundreds of them. Limited out.
Yet to see many blue bills and only some hen whistlers so far. I spend a fair amount of time duck hunting and in previous years seem to get into whistlers when others are saying they are not here yet but i have seen no big flocks so far.
Anybody come across any yet?
gmannn
hunter

Re: Divers

Postby IslandHunter » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:44 am

We were in northern Lake Champlain this past weekend and had volleys of whistlers, buffleheads, and hoodies, in addition to some full plumage mallard & blacks - overall a great morning. Flocks were smallers sized, the whistlers were about 40% hens. Also did not see bluebills, but others in the area reported having done so.
IslandHunter
hunter

Postby gmannn » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:10 pm

Island hunter
Thanks- I'm ready! We usually get a good bit of whistlers on Magog but our access gets a little limited as the water freezes.
gmannn
hunter

Postby pete/pmr » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:19 am

I was up north for the weekend and saw some bufflehead on ...of all places....Barton...Lake Willoughby!
2013 Season Totals

Canada Geese 105
Mallards 43
Woodies 31
Teal 16
widgeon 8
Blacks 11
Goldeneyes 25 "Take-em"
Buffleheads 4
Bluebills 1
snows 27
Band Count 5
pete/pmr
hunter

Postby gmannn » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:51 am

We got 1/2 dozen this AM. Also shot a shoveler hen which is a rare event on Magog.
I drive for work alot andI have seen whistlers and bufflehead on a number of different places in glover willoughby and Barton over the years but it is not like they set up to hang out for any period of time.
Funny thing happened this AM and a near catastrophe. We had some good thick ice at our access and I whacked at it with the axe as to not again break my trailer lights backing in. My friend then backed his truck in to break it up, slipped a little and went too far. The back of the truck began to float and it was very iffy on getting out as he had no traction for a bit. Front wheels finally pulled him out but a close call. We were wondering how we would have got the boat in around the truck so we could still go hunting this morning. Ya gotta love it
gmannn
hunter

Postby hawkman » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:03 pm

gmann - Interesting you would mention this. I too went out Thursday and found a boat ramp iced in. I remembered your post from last year about crunching your trailer light. Therefore, I went out and broke out a hole before backing in the boat. Apparantly, I did not make a big enough hole. Picked up a new light today at lunch and will install it this evening.
hawkman
hunter

Return to Vermont Duck Hunting