Duck Hunting Forum banner

Lesson Learned

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  joyfulsound866 
#1 ·
As this is only my second year duck hunting I learned a very valuable lesson saturday. Always bring extra shells. We down to a pot hole on a cut corn field after seeing 4 mallards in it the day before, only bring a handful of shells (5) there were more than 4 ducks, saw at least 70 in the span of a half hour, only managed one but i now and always bringing at least 25 shells, even when i only think I'm hunting 4 ducks. Going back tomorrow

#3 ·
Never leave home without a box of shells,never go into a suspected hot hole without a box of shells! Go nowhere without a box of shells!LOL

Hope it was fun,and hope you did better the next day!

#5 ·
Lavman said:
I generally have around 100 rounds with me, I stock my blind bag early season and pick up a box here or there as I burn through my ammo supply. If I was a better shot I would be more relaxed about my ammo supply :lol3: :lol3:
^^ HAHA... That's exactly what I do. Some days I knock em down, and other days I shoot a box of shells for 4 ducks. Every year I say I'm going to shoot a ton of skeet and work on my shooting... and every year I'm unloading my gun on a single... :)

#6 ·
I think everyone unloads on birds coming in! And I know regardless of where I am hunting,lake,pothole,creek,beaver ponds,I am going to shoot alot,you get small groups of ducks hammering in,unless you are a expert you are going to have misses,and with woodies and teal.......alot!

#9 ·
gmannn said:
Rule number one - always take at least a box of shells
Rule number two- always take your gun when you pick up your decoys!
HAHA! Yes indeed! Funny story, a few years ago my Dad, my Bro in law and I went out for the opener on Champlain. We were hunting out of a canoe (yep, 3 men in a little boat, tucking into the reeds is your only hope!) we got the truck loaded up with all our gear (ok, maybe not ALL of our gear) and head out at O dark hundred, all excited about the day ahead. We arrive and start to unload the truck and get the canoe in the water and loaded up. Dad suddenly realizes he forgot his gun!!! He was totally embarrassed and said "you boys head out without me, I'll run back up to the house and get my gun". :fingerhead:

Dad went and got his gun, my bro-n-law and I paddled out a short way into the marsh and put out a few decoys. We managed two ducks by the time Dad got back and his way of saying "sorry to hold us up boys" was fresh HOT coffee and breakfast sammies from the store up the road.

Now we all check each other to make sure we have all our shunk before we leave the driveway :lol3: :beer:

#10 ·
I have another funny story. I was hunting ducks from October into Novemeber. I thought I would chase flyers in the morning and sit in the deer woods in the afternoon. I borrowed a friend's 30/30 and since it was a nice scoped gun, i put it in my padded case (that i usually keep my shotgun in). So i woke up the next morning, decided I would stop back at home for lunch in between morning ducks and deer afternoon, so I loaded up the truck and threw in my padded case. Got to the marsh early, loaded up the sled, pulled on the waders and uncased my.....OH NO! it wasnt my shotgun. Boy did I have a good laugh!!! I spent the morning just scouting, found a tons of new spots that I never noticed! So it wasnt a total loss!! Always double and triple check your gear!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.