diverse opening day bag

Waterfowl topics at their best, post here and read others views on Vermont duck hunting

Moderator: yellodog1

diverse opening day bag

Postby magogwhacker » Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:22 am

Check out this opening day bag for 2 guys in VT:
1 wood duck
1 bw teal
1 gw teal
1 ringneck
2 pintail
6 drake mallard

I've never had such a diverse bag before...6 species. We could have had black ducks too but let them go in favor of greenheads.
What? There's open water? Its not cold enough.
magogwhacker
hunter

Postby duckklr » Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:45 pm

Where in the heck did you guys go? Went over on champlain with yellodog and did absolutely horrible, 1 woody and mallard between four guys. Not a real good start to the season.
duckklr
hunter

Postby ronvt » Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:14 am

NICE! I did not have as good luck. Sat: 1 woodie, 1 mallard Sun:1 gw teal and 2 mallards. I had A skybuster next to me who shot at almost every volley regardless of distance. Very frusterating. I actually only fired 9x the whole weekend. I am going out tomorrow, hopefully with better results.
ronvt
hunter

Postby yellodog1 » Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:19 am

Saturday was such a bad opening day on Champlain with the fog rolling in all morning, I was too frustrated to go on Sunday.

We ran in to a game warden on Saturday and he said that there was no wild rice growing in Missisquoi. I dont know how they did up there on opening day, but with no rice to eat, it may not hold the ducks long.
Hunt Vermont
yellodog1
State Moderator

Postby ronvt » Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:22 pm

I hunted the mississquoi this past saturday with a buddy: 5 teal 2 mallards.

Absolutely the worst experience hunting to date. I was ready to quit duck hunting for good. I must have heard a 1000 shots go off by 11:00 am and I did not even see a duck or take a shot up until that point. I was up to my thigh in muck for 12 hours. We had blind 6. All of our ducks were between 12:00 and 4:00. There was plenty of teal still around. I won't be getting out again until the 27th and I will be at mud creek; another muck zone.
ronvt
hunter

Postby mossy » Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:44 pm

Fellow Duck Lovers Last Weekend I tallied.

1 woodie
2 GW Teal
1 Black

My spot is getting pretty shot up any other areas around or close to the Rutland area that are worth trying? Just moved here 2004-still finding my way around. My Job takes me around the State St. J, Bradford, Springfield areas just to name a few. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.
mossy
hunter

Postby yellodog1 » Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:14 pm

RONVT, I am going to Mud Creek soon also, but have never hunted up there. Any suggestions as to what to bring? They said to bring some plywood to stand on. Will bringing plywood be worth our time or should we forget about that?

Also is it tough to get in to where the blinds are? Weve got 3 guys and a dog, and are thinking about using 2 canoes. What do you think?
Hunt Vermont
yellodog1
State Moderator

Postby magogwhacker » Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:30 pm

Mud creek is floating cattails over deeeep mud. If you walk on the cattail mat you punch through every now and then and sink deep. They're right about the plywood. Another way is to bring a canoe and sink it when you get to your hunting area and stand in the swamped canoe. The best would be a layout type boat if you have one.
What? There's open water? Its not cold enough.
magogwhacker
hunter

Postby yellodog1 » Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:06 pm

Thanks for the info. I think we are bringing 2 canoes and some plywood.
Hunt Vermont
yellodog1
State Moderator

Return to Vermont Duck Hunting