Any duck action lately?

Waterfowl topics at their best, post here and read others views on Vermont duck hunting

Moderator: yellodog1

Any duck action lately?

Postby magogwhacker » Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:10 pm

I was wondering if folks are having much action lately? I had an awesome early season and logged 13 trips, with 63 ducks and a goose coming over the gunnels of the boat. The last outing was pretty slow, I went deer hunting on the opener, the weather hasn't been great lately, and I havn't gotten out in 2 weeks. Are people still having action? Any signes of new birds coming down?
What? There's open water? Its not cold enough.
magogwhacker
hunter

Postby doogie494 » Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:31 pm

We've seen a good flock of what i believe have been Goldeneyes on the south end of Champlain but thats been about it.
Doug

Postby ronvt » Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:30 pm

I went to Lake Champlain this morning and I did not see a puddle duck. Plenty of goldeneyes, grebes, loons. No Canadas but I did see approx.500 snow geese flying high. It was a bluebird morning. i am going out tommorrow and I will give a post in the evening.
ronvt
hunter

Postby The Old Warden » Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:10 pm

I've been deer hunting at Little Otter Creek WMA and have been seeing and hearing progressively less and less duck action. The last few days lots of Snows and some Canadia's have been flying south in big flocks.
We went out toward the lake this afternoon and put up a small bunch of blacks, saw 2 buffle head and had 3 malards fly over at dusk going high and hard. No interest at all in our spread.
We'll try again in the morning - hoping this cold front and north wind may bring some red legs.
The Old Warden
hunter

Postby duckklr » Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:23 pm

Was out on magog couple of days ago and had decent luck on puddlers. Still a few around I guess. Have seen plenty of divers around on the local ponds and lakes, a few geese are still hanging around but my guess it they will head south after this local snow dusting. Will be heading out this weekend and will keep y'all posted.
duckklr
hunter

Postby The Old Warden » Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:04 am

Hunted the lower part of Little Otter this morning. Had a ringneck land in the decoys as we were setting up the camo, several groups of 6-24 mallards/blacks fly over high and a few small groups of malards work the area. Also a little bunch of buffle heads. One blind got some shooting but we didn't. I suspect we needed a bigger decoy set up. Only a few flocks of geese flying - none low.
The Old Warden
hunter

Postby magogwhacker » Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:22 am

duckklr,
You hunt up at Magog? Do you usually hunt in a party of three? Just askin' cause I had some words with 3 fellows up there this weekend.
magogwhacker
hunter

Postby magogwhacker » Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:30 am

Oops posted before I was done. Just was wondering because I wanted to talk to those guys about how to be respectful of other hunters. There is plenty of room for lots of guys to hunt there, but they came in late and set up 150 yds downwind of me and were taking 50-100 yd shots at ducks working my decoys and call. Needless to say, they didn't connect and until they left I couldn't shoot a duck either, after they left it worked great. If we all were carefull on our shots and only popped off at the nice close ones, we'd all get ducks. If even one party skybusts it wrecks it for everybody. What do you think? I've been waterfowling for 30 years and it seems like common sense but I'm not sure how to help new guys get the idea. Seems like whatever you say, the guy in the next blind thinks you're a jerk.
magogwhacker
hunter

Postby duckklr » Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:59 pm

magogwacker I couldn't agree with you more. Even though I'm kinda new to the sport of duck hunting, I have enough common sense to not interupt/spoil someone else's hunt by shooting ducks that are working the other ones dekes. I have had this happen to me in the past and I did what you did, wait em out and hope the ducks come back. This sort of thing happens quite a bit in S.B. not to much anyplace else, except maybe little salem. Maybe we could put a hunt together either this season or next let me know, always looking for new friends that enjoy the sport with.
duckklr
hunter

Sky busting

Postby The Old Warden » Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:48 am

Sky busting is an issue I've worked on professionally as a game warden, hunter ed administrator and on the CONSEP board. Factors that seem to be inplay include:
Hunters don't know how to estimate distances for birds in the sky. (I've been right behind guys busting away and when I check them they complain about everyone else and claim thier 60 yard shots were well in range!
they don't know their max effective range - most way overestimate their effective range. (I'm pretty sure the average shots per duck in hand is 9)
Quite often when one group starts busting all blinds start busting - it seems to be contagious.
One technique we try to teach hunters is subtending. It is when you learn to compare how much of a flying mallard your rib blots out at know distances. Then when a bird is over head you can get a good estimate and eventually learn how much detail at different light and distances you can see, etc.
The other factors include respect for other hunters, striving to make clean kills thru practice and learning and respect for the birds and hunting.
This is a pretty tall order for some hunters...
The Old Warden
hunter

Postby magogwhacker » Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:37 am

duckklr, I'd love to hook up with you but I'm temporarily out of the duck business. My motor s--t the bed on Champlain day after thanksgiving. I had no fire in either cylinder and was 2.6 miles by gps from the launch. It took me 4 hours to pole in! After work today I'll have to get in there and figure out what's wrong with it......I'm hoping to be in business before next weekend, but we'll see.
magogwhacker
hunter

Return to Vermont Duck Hunting