Goose Hunting

Waterfowl topics at their best, post here and read others views on Vermont duck hunting

Moderator: yellodog1

Goose Hunting

Postby VTfowl » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:48 am

Have been scouting all over the place but am having a hard time finding birds.
Last edited by VTfowl on Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
if it flies it dies
VTfowl
hunter

Re: Goose Hunting

Postby Vtwaterfowler » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:49 pm

Hate to say it but thats like asking the guards at fort knox for the keys to the countries gold reserves! haha If you wanna find birds you gotta put some miles on, cover new territory and look for areas of fresh cut grass or corn near big roosting ponds. For the 66 birds my crew and I have harvested, we probably all put on 200-400 miles on our rigs scouting. It was a lot of work and gas used but it was totally worth it!
I wish you good luck finding birds! They are out there, you just need to put the time in to find them! :thumbsup:
Vtwaterfowler
hunter

Postby VTfowl » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:16 pm

haha yeah that is true, I've scouted a lot though
Last edited by VTfowl on Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
if it flies it dies
VTfowl
hunter

Postby Vtwaterfowler » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:50 pm

I like to first thing in the morning better, i have found that birds are more apt to feed as soon as they get off the roost. If you know an area where they are roosting, wait for them there in the morning then follow them to wherever they are feeding. But dont shoot the roost out though! If you shoot the roost you will only get one good hunt out of it! if you hunt them in fields they will still keep coming back to those areas where they have been feeding as long as you give it a few days rest between every hunt!
Vtwaterfowler
hunter

Postby VTfowl » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:33 am

Okay thanks man, good luck on the rest of the season :beer:
if it flies it dies
VTfowl
hunter

Postby pete/pmr » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:39 pm

You got some good a advice from vtwaterfowler! It is a lot of work finding them in the early season since corn fields are not being harvested yet! New seedlings and fresh chopped fields are what you are looking for, alfalfa or soybean or pea fields are your best bet!

As for scouting I like to spot flocks in the air and follow them to thier feeding areas! Usually if you spot birds in the evening feeding in a field, usually they will head to the same field in the morning! However birds are starting to flock up now, the small family groups are begining to band together, and feeding in the same fields so you may have a small group of birds going to a certain field early in the morning and then have 3 or more small groups come in behind them until you have 50 or 60 birds there! But you may also get one flock of 50 birds and nothing after that! So you need to put the time in scouting and see what happens in the mornings! Sit on the fields you have seen birds and wait to pattern them , see how they come in, where they land, take note of wind direction, time, and count birds in each flock ! Forget roost hunting, that pushed them out of the roosting area, which means you have to locate them all over again! If you know they are roosting somewhere then you know how to track them in the mornings!!! You do not want to loose that edge!

Good luck and good hunting!
2013 Season Totals

Canada Geese 105
Mallards 43
Woodies 31
Teal 16
widgeon 8
Blacks 11
Goldeneyes 25 "Take-em"
Buffleheads 4
Bluebills 1
snows 27