dead creek

Waterfowl topics at their best, post here and read others views on Vermont duck hunting

Moderator: yellodog1

dead creek

Postby overunderwaterfowl » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:44 am

Wondering if you need a special license to hunt dead creek other then what vt already requires
overunderwaterfowl
hunter
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:26 pm


Re: dead creek

Postby chambo32 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:41 pm

you need to be more specific.The creek itself, that is not part of the refuge does not require anything other than the normal license. There are controlled hunts on dead creek refuge, just not on the creek itself and they require a drawn permit.
chambo32
hunter
 
Posts: 153
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:20 pm
Location: Huntington

Re: dead creek

Postby overunderwaterfowl » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:03 am

I belive itis not on the refuge but I will double check
overunderwaterfowl
hunter
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:26 pm

Re: dead creek

Postby pete/pmr » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:44 am

No you do not! However depending on what part of the creek you hunt,some of it is part of the preserve,but you will see signs that will say wildlife management area.
2013 Season Totals

Canada Geese 105
Mallards 43
Woodies 31
Teal 16
widgeon 8
Blacks 11
Goldeneyes 25 "Take-em"
Buffleheads 4
Bluebills 1
snows 27
Band Count 5
User avatar
pete/pmr
hunter
 
Posts: 544
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:13 am
Location: Southwestern Vermont

Re: dead creek

Postby magogwhacker » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:53 am

FYI...If this is your first season in the area, Dead Creek on opening day is a carnival of sky busting clowns. If that's what you're into, then enjoy. Otherwise, you might want to find a place with less pressure. I used to hunt within a few miles of DC and still remember the constant rolling barrage of gunfire that went on for the first few hours of an opener. If you get there on the right day later in the season, you can actually enjoy some decent hunting.
What? There's open water? Its not cold enough.
magogwhacker
hunter
 
Posts: 153
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:24 am

Re: dead creek

Postby overunderwaterfowl » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:00 pm

Yeah I've been told it gets pretty crowded in their but as of now that is my best option for my setup I plan on using
overunderwaterfowl
hunter
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:26 pm

Re: dead creek

Postby VTfowl » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:34 am

just hunted there today and it was a joke. Bunch of bad hunters sky busting and ruining hunts for others. Either way we got our limit and got out of there. Don't think ill be headed back
if it flies it dies
VTfowl
hunter
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:37 am

Re: dead creek

Postby overunderwaterfowl » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:39 am

I drive by everyday to work and on the season opener it was packed with trucks and trailers latley I haven't seen it like that
overunderwaterfowl
hunter
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:26 pm

Re: dead creek

Postby Lavman » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:13 am

VTfowl wrote:just hunted there today and it was a joke. Bunch of bad hunters sky busting and ruining hunts for others. Either way we got our limit and got out of there. Don't think ill be headed back


Ruined hunts yet you got your limit? Sounds to me like it was a good day and the hunters at the creek were doing a lot of shooting because there were a lot of ducks to shoot at. Early in the season not everyone is dialed in and hitting consistently but that does not mean you need to call them skybusters.
Lavman
hunter
 
Posts: 81
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:13 am
Location: Weston, VT

Re: dead creek

Postby VTfowl » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:40 pm

yeah 4 birds was our limit.... its pretty bad when people are shooting at geese when there locked up about to decoy in our spread. Thats what I'd call sky busting and having a hunt ruined. its not about killing the birds to have a good hunt. One of the best parts of waterfowl hunting is getting the birds to decoy and when people shoot at anything within 100 yards it puts a damper on everything and pisses you off. just because its early in the season and they can't judge distance or hit birds is no excuse. there yahoos that wanna shot at every bird in the air and dont have any curtesy to other hunters.
if it flies it dies
VTfowl
hunter
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:37 am

Re: dead creek

Postby RangerX » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:37 pm

you'll always have idiots out on opening day... best to avoid it if frustrates you... our you could spend more time patterning the birds so you can setup where they ain't. give it a few weeks, the duck dynasty wanna bes will be gone.
RangerX
hunter
 
Posts: 209
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:57 pm

Re: dead creek

Postby VTfowl » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:09 pm

couldnt agree more Ranger. Well said. :beer: :thumbsup: :yes:
if it flies it dies
VTfowl
hunter
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:37 am

Re: dead creek

Postby magogwhacker » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:16 pm

Those guys were there in the 1980's, WAY before anybody knew who the "Duckmen" were. I remember hunting DC on opening day in 1986 and seeing geese get crippled at over 125 yards by what must have been buckshot. We had opening day yahoos at DC LONG before Phil Robertson came along. How come I get grief from the wardens b/c we don't remember which guy shot the widgeon, but these mf's can spray buckshot all over Addison county without a worry?
What? There's open water? Its not cold enough.
magogwhacker
hunter
 
Posts: 153
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:24 am

Re: dead creek

Postby RangerX » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:12 am

magogwhacker wrote:Those guys were there in the 1980's, WAY before anybody knew who the "Duckmen" were. I remember hunting DC on opening day in 1986 and seeing geese get crippled at over 125 yards by what must have been buckshot. We had opening day yahoos at DC LONG before Phil Robertson came along. How come I get grief from the wardens b/c we don't remember which guy shot the widgeon, but these mf's can spray buckshot all over Addison county without a worry?


Some good news to this thread... a couple more weeks and we'll have our swamps back. :)
RangerX
hunter
 
Posts: 209
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:57 pm

Re: dead creek

Postby Lavman » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:35 am

Wait, we can use buckshot?????? :sarcmark:
Lavman
hunter
 
Posts: 81
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:13 am
Location: Weston, VT

Re: dead creek

Postby RangerX » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:44 am

Lavman wrote:Wait, we can use buckshot?????? :sarcmark:


lol
RangerX
hunter
 
Posts: 209
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:57 pm

Re: dead creek

Postby magogwhacker » Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:02 pm

RangerX wrote:
magogwhacker wrote:Those guys were there in the 1980's, WAY before anybody knew who the "Duckmen" were. I remember hunting DC on opening day in 1986 and seeing geese get crippled at over 125 yards by what must have been buckshot. We had opening day yahoos at DC LONG before Phil Robertson came along. How come I get grief from the wardens b/c we don't remember which guy shot the widgeon, but these mf's can spray buckshot all over Addison county without a worry?


Some good news to this thread... a couple more weeks and we'll have our swamps back. :)


Right on...maybe a little weather too.
What? There's open water? Its not cold enough.
magogwhacker
hunter
 
Posts: 153
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:24 am

Re: dead creek

Postby RangerX » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:20 am

magogwhacker wrote:
RangerX wrote:
magogwhacker wrote:Those guys were there in the 1980's, WAY before anybody knew who the "Duckmen" were. I remember hunting DC on opening day in 1986 and seeing geese get crippled at over 125 yards by what must have been buckshot. We had opening day yahoos at DC LONG before Phil Robertson came along. How come I get grief from the wardens b/c we don't remember which guy shot the widgeon, but these mf's can spray buckshot all over Addison county without a worry?


Some good news to this thread... a couple more weeks and we'll have our swamps back. :)


Right on...maybe a little weather too.


Oh we are getting the cold stuff this week! Bring on the red legs!
RangerX
hunter
 
Posts: 209
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:57 pm

Re: dead creek

Postby pete/pmr » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:07 pm

I hunted Dead Creek this year,and I do not know if I am being thrown in too this bunch of sky busters or not,but I do know that where I was hunting there were not any other duck hunters! I shot a limit of woodies,and three mallards,there was a lot of shooting going on all around me,say 200-300 yards,and I only spend two hours sitting in my blind,think that was a good morning! Shame on you for not scouting out an area where no one else had a blind,because after the first couple of hours of shoot,ducks are looking for a spot where nobody is set up,and that is where I was! I had flocks of woodies in the 8-15 birds zipping in,and mallards in groups of 5-14, and it was fun ! Sorry you had a bad experience there,mine have all been good,but I get in away from all the other blinds along the main launching area! Change your ways and enjoy the hunt,who knows you might even shoot some birds!
2013 Season Totals

Canada Geese 105
Mallards 43
Woodies 31
Teal 16
widgeon 8
Blacks 11
Goldeneyes 25 "Take-em"
Buffleheads 4
Bluebills 1
snows 27
Band Count 5
User avatar
pete/pmr
hunter
 
Posts: 544
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:13 am
Location: Southwestern Vermont


Return to Vermont Duck Hunting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest