unrelated question

Waterfowl topics at their best, post here and read others views on Vermont duck hunting

Moderator: yellodog1

unrelated question

Postby lbhansford » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:13 pm

hey guys,

a regular on DHC down in VA and the divers section but had a question regarding Vermont moose lottery. Was looking at possibly doing the Non-res lottery. Is there enough public land to hunt them without hiring one of the expensive guide services? lodging reasonable? I do not want to attempt it if I can't freelance it but its been a dream to shoot a moose. I do know the chances of getting a tag is pretty slim but if i start putting in now, figured i might get one in the next five years. any advice woud be much appreciated. plan on trying for Maine and vermont if its worth it as to maybe get drawn before I am 60 (31 now) :help:
lbhansford
hunter

Re: unrelated question

Postby brokermike » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:26 am

lots of public land to hunt, but much of it can only be accessed without motorized vehicle. SO plan on spending some time and money getting your moose out of the woods. Most guys hire horses.

Lodging is as cheap or expensive as you want it to be. It's a short season so if you're not going to hire a guide you had better put in some time and set up some cameras.
brokermike
hunter

Postby RangerX » Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:58 am

brokermike wrote:lots of public land to hunt, but much of it can only be accessed without motorized vehicle. SO plan on spending some time and money getting your moose out of the woods. Most guys hire horses.

Lodging is as cheap or expensive as you want it to be. It's a short season so if you're not going to hire a guide you had better put in some time and set up some cameras.

I agree here with Brokermike... it's a short season, and alot of ground you need to cover on foot. You will need to scout ahead of time if you want any success. Might be worth looking into a guide; or finding someone local that can show you around.
RangerX
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:17 am

RangerX wrote:
brokermike wrote:lots of public land to hunt, but much of it can only be accessed without motorized vehicle. SO plan on spending some time and money getting your moose out of the woods. Most guys hire horses.

I agree here with Brokermike... it's a short season, and alot of ground you need to cover on foot. You will need to scout ahead of time if you want any success. Might be worth looking into a guide; or finding someone local that can show you around.

refuse to use a guide, too much of that kind of thing ruining the spirit of hunting across this great nation. I will take off a few days early before season begins to learn the area, talk to the locals, and recon to my fullest ability. I dont mean this in any offensive way but I feel like it is up to the hunter to put in the time and effort to "earn his reward", not pay someone else to do the hard part and me pull a trigger.
lbhansford
hunter

Postby RangerX » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:17 am

lbhansford wrote:
RangerX wrote:

refuse to use a guide, too much of that kind of thing ruining the spirit of hunting across this great nation. I will take off a few days early before season begins to learn the area, talk to the locals, and recon to my fullest ability. I dont mean this in any offensive way but I feel like it is up to the hunter to put in the time and effort to "earn his reward", not pay someone else to do the hard part and me pull a trigger.

You know buddy, guides don't necessarily have to be paid... I guide people all the time waterfowl hunting; simply for the love of hunting and to show someone a good hunt...I don't ask for money... Hence my comment about finding someone local.

You're going to want more than a couple days up here, especially depending on what WMU you get a permit for (if you get your permit)

Make a couple friends up here would be my suggestion.
RangerX
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:45 am

very cool of you to do free guiding, that is the true spirit of the hunting brotherhood at its finest. I take alot of people fowling to just to get them out, almost enjoy seeing them bag something new than me pulling the trigger these days. Ill take your advice.
lbhansford
hunter

Postby duckin-A » Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:47 pm

do u need to be licensed/certified in VT to be any type of guide.......???
" I spent all my money on Liquor & Women,
and the rest I just wasted"!!!
duckin-A
hunter

Postby vt.honker » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:07 am

duckin-A wrote:do u need to be licensed/certified in VT to be any type of guide.......???

:welcome: NO... :hi: :thumbsup:
So many geese,so much ammo,so little time left!
vt.honker
hunter

Postby VtechSkybuster » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:51 am

Yeah there are plenty of public lands to hunt. If you enter I would suggest any of the D or E WMU's. Between my dad and brother and I we've had 4 permits since 1997 and gotten 3 moose. The last permit was in 2011 and we didn't score. We spent 15 days in the woods between hunting and scouting and saw one moose. The first 3 permits we were successful in the first 2 days. The moose population isn't flourishing like it has in years past and I feel they gave out way too many permits in the early 2000's along with a couple hard winters the population took a beating. Since my brother got that permit in 2011 none of us have applied and I don't think we will for a few more years. I think it's on it's way back up so if you want to start applying now and building your points in a few years you might get lucky. Check out Victory WMA, Steam Mill Brook WMA and Bill Sladyk WMA, these are all great places to hunt and open to the public and can camp at most during the season too. Vtfishandwildlife.com has links to the maps. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They might get my guns, but they're gonna get the bullets first!!
VtechSkybuster
hunter

Postby pete/pmr » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:52 pm

Like RangerX says,there are a few guys up here that would enjoy going out and helping you smack a moose,and they will do it for thr fun of the hunt and meeting new people involved in hunting! I have taken some people out in my area also,for turkey's,ducks,geese,bear,and deer,and it is just because I enjoy it,and I know I like seeing others take game I have scouted and set them up on,it is rewarding to me to know I did a good job getting them on the spot!

Sharing a hunt with someone is fun,having a successful hunt is the reward,but what you gain is a friend who also enjoys the hunt! There are moose in almost all the wildlife management areas in Vermont,so it is pretty much a good chance you will score if you do draw a tag. If you end up putting your time in, and having a local on your side who knows the land and landowners, you have a better chance a t filling your tag! Good luck and depending on the wildlife management area you draw in you should not have a problem finding someone on here that could help you out,or point you in the right direction! :thumbsup:
2013 Season Totals

Canada Geese 105
Mallards 43
Woodies 31
Teal 16
widgeon 8
Blacks 11
Goldeneyes 25 "Take-em"
Buffleheads 4
Bluebills 1
snows 27
Band Count 5