News just ruined my duck season

Waterfowl topics at their best, post here and read others views on Vermont duck hunting

Moderator: yellodog1

News just ruined my duck season

Postby magogwhacker » Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:30 am

Just got the news that I drew an either sex moose permit in H1! Anyone else get one?
What? There's open water? Its not cold enough.
magogwhacker
hunter

Postby yellodog1 » Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:39 pm

How about you Duckklr?

Congrats Magogwhacker.
Hunt Vermont
yellodog1
State Moderator

Postby duckklr » Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:57 am

Heck no I didn't draw. Fourteen yrs now and no luck as far as the Moose goes. Just about to the point of saying to heck with it and put my ten bucks towards some duck hunting stuff. BUT at least I have a new boat to break in for duck hunting.....While magog is out in the boonies for moose I'll be on the outskirts shooting the ducks he chases out.... :lol:
duckklr
hunter

Postby magogwhacker » Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:15 am

Duckklr...I'm not sure how many mallards and woodies I'm gonna drive out of old clear cuts, but if I do, I'm glad to know you're on 'em. I ended up taking off Oct 20-25 for the moose hunt, maybe I'll take one early and have some time to get after the ducks. Or maybe, if I get one early, I'll just stay home and rest up from packin it out. We'll see. I gotta go work on my moose calls now....
magogwhacker
hunter

Postby duckklr » Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:28 pm

What are you using for a moose call? I have heard if you take a metal coffee can and put a piece of wide shoe lace through the bottom and wet the shoe lace it does a pretty good cow moose call.....
duckklr
hunter

Postby yellodog1 » Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:35 pm

If you want to hear what a dying moose sounds like, have Duckklr use his duck call. :rofl: :rofl:
Hunt Vermont
yellodog1
State Moderator

Postby magogwhacker » Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:01 pm

My call is just the classic Canadian style rolled up birch bark. You kind of moan on it like a dairy cow sounds. I've heard them calling many times when I'm out bohunting deer. I'll be bohunting so I don't want to carry a bunch of crap around. I'm gonna try to set up in tree stands before dawn and c all a bull into a place where I can either get a shot or get down and put a stalk on it. I can't stalk a deer to save my life, but I think I have a decent chance on a tutting bull looking for a cow. As far as picking on a man's duck call, I'll stay away from that one....one of you guys might hear me call one day.
magogwhacker
hunter

Postby Blaiser » Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:31 pm

Either sex E2 Dad drew it, I'm the 2nd
Blaiser
hunter

Postby VTgooseman » Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:17 pm

Hey magogwhacker did you end up getting a moose? i live in H1 and have seen many big bulls around my place and North into Elmore.
VTgooseman
hunter

Postby magogwhacker » Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:59 am

I did get a moose, a 580# cow. I tried for the big bull but couldn't make it happen. I called one in pretty close but couldn't see it well enough to drop the hammer. It was really cool to hear it respond to the call though....the grunts shook the ground.

After my moose hunt I've come to realize the true apex for a big game hunter.....picking out an animal that fits perfectly in the freezer. How did other moose hunters do? I felt like the warm weather was a huge problem...the moose were not moving and I couldn't hunt some of the best spots because I was worried about meat spoiling before I could pack it out.

Bring on the ducks!
magogwhacker
hunter

Return to Vermont Duck Hunting