Dry Opener

Waterfowl topics at their best, post here and read others views on Vermont duck hunting

Moderator: yellodog1

Dry Opener

Postby magogwhacker » Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:49 am

No rain in the forecast before opening day. Lake levels are low and dropping. Lots of ducks around. Looks like a perfect storm for some of those #*&hole in the other blind stories on opening day. Any ideas or thoughts on how to keep the conflicts and frustration down?

I've had a blind stake out since May (it was down for a week in July actually...beavers ate the stake!) and we'll get out extra early for the opener. We bring a Q beam to let people know where we're at when they come out later. What else can you do?
What? There's open water? Its not cold enough.
magogwhacker
hunter

Postby yellodog1 » Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:55 pm

A blind stake out since May?
I think thats a little overkill isn't it? Putting out a sign really has no basis in law.
Hunt Vermont
yellodog1
State Moderator

Postby magogwhacker » Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:26 am

I agree with you YD. I think the stakes are a silly tradition and they have no legal basis. I wish the State would come out and just say you can't do it. They look like hell and litter our shorelines. BUT.....since other people are doing it, I feel like I need to do it to get a place to hunt. In the area I'm talking about there are a few of us who put out stakes each spring after the water level comes down a bit. I've never been crowded by these hunters....it is always the guy that shows up 2 clicks before shooting hours on opening day with no clue where there is an open spot to hunt, or a guy who puts a stake out between two others a week before the opener.

What do other people think about the stakes?
magogwhacker
hunter

Postby yellodog1 » Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:19 am

I think the stakes are a good way to mark a spot that you intend on building a blind, or to put in a floater. Spots that are intended for a floater, should say on the sign "FLOATER" A lot of guys will put out 8 or 10 signs in numerous spots, and never hunt most of those spots. Does that mean those spots are off limits to other hunters?
If I hunted on one side of a river/pond and the ducks kept going to the other side that was staked, but nobody hunted, I would be over there hunting the next day.

I dont see anything wrong with someone coming in to a new spot late in Sept. after all the blinds are built and putting in a stake or a blind. I did that this year in a new spot. I could have gotten down there on the 1st Sat. in Sept. but, I would rather know where other people are hunting, and not crowd someone or put a blind or stake in where the same guy has been hunting for 10, 15, 20 years, especially as a new guy in that area. That just causes problems. Maybe next year though, I will be there to mark/build a blind early.

Also water levels make a big difference, the level of Champlain has dropped considerably since Sept. I know there are some blinds out there that are high and dry right now. Putting in a blind too early is sometimes a bad thing.
Hunt Vermont
yellodog1
State Moderator

Postby chambo32 » Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:15 am

Don't forget the law says you can't place a blind before the first sat in sept
From the sounds of it signs are part of the blind.

"Waterfowl blinds may not be placed on or in the waters of
the state earlier than the first Saturday of September of any
year. Anyone who places a blind must have their name and
address permanently and legibly affixed on the blind by
waterproof paint or rustproof tag.
Waterfowl blinds located on or in any waters of the state
except Lake Champlain must be removed,

together with contents and any surrounding debris, on or before May 15
of the following year.

A waterfowl blind located on or in
Lake Champlain must be removed on or before February
15 of the following year. Also see Tree Stands and Ground
Blinds section."
chambo32
hunter

ridiculous

Postby goldeneye13 » Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:40 am

I think that staking is ridiculous. The state should allow someone to build a permenant blind like it's actually in the law and make sure it's removed and if not, they should fine the hunter for leaving debris because every spring you blinds and mostly part's of blind floatting arround. That's just not respecting nature. For the staking it shoulde not be tolerated. You get to a point that when you have a boat you spend you're time making shure that there's not stakes around in case someone come's and hunt. If you don't have a permenant blind builted it should be on a first come first served basis. The only area that you're sure you won't have any problems his in states park limite and refuges that allow you to hunt. Most of the time those area are just crowded.

That's my opinion

P..s Sorry for the english mistake.
goldeneye13
hunter

Postby Cedar Eater » Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:06 pm

In my opinion, staking your blind does make alot of sense. First of all, it's the way its always been done...(as far as I 've known for the past thirty-five years at anyway)...If something works, why try to fix it???

I think that staking a blind shows intention, sure it's on the honor system and those individuals that that stake a dozen different locations and don't hunt them are sort to speak "lacking moral character" and will probably create other problems for themselves if you know what I mean...

I believe that blind stakes minimize conflicts...I'm with yellodog 100%, I think the best way to find a place to hunt is to scout it out first the previous year...see where the other hunters are...Maybe do some jumpshooting or hunting with a floater, then stake and hunt the following year...

Instead of the State regulating blind stakes, I would rather see some regulation related to safe stand-off distances...I've never seen a blind stake put someone's eye out...XAWC
Cedar Eater
hunter

Postby magogwhacker » Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:22 am

I think cedar has a great point on minimum distance. Most of the guys that know how to hunt don't crowd others, but there are some guys out there (new at it I assume) that move in way too close. I had one encounter late in the season last year where I was the only hunter set up in a marsh and a trio comes out and set up about 125 yards downwind. What made it even more fun was that they thought anything within about 80 yards was a good shot to take. Didn't matter that the ducks were circling my decoys, they'd open up. Most hunters are using common sense but guys like that need some kind of law with a minimum distance
magogwhacker
hunter

you are right

Postby goldeneye13 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:17 am

I have to admit that Cedar and you are right.. If the 200 yards stated would be respected it shure would save a lot of trouble and it would be easier to work the duck around...

Gone for the rest of the week
You guys have a good opening day!!!
goldeneye13
hunter

Postby magogwhacker » Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:19 am

I called it..... We set up on the opener at our stake that has been out for months and had another party set up less than 60 yards away. Downwind. We blinded them several times with the Q beam but they insisted on setting up right on top of us. Sure its a good spot, but we did stake it and we did get there first. Bring on the 200 yd rule.
magogwhacker
hunter

Return to Vermont Duck Hunting