Dead Creek, Mud Creek, Missisquoi reports

Waterfowl topics at their best, post here and read others views on Vermont duck hunting

Moderator: yellodog1

Dead Creek, Mud Creek, Missisquoi reports

Postby yellodog1 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:48 am

Anybody have any reports from controlled hunts this year?

Have has everyone done?
Hunt Vermont
yellodog1
State Moderator

Postby chambo32 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:11 am

Hunted the first day at dead creek got three birds. it was an overall good day for most every body.
chambo32
hunter

Postby jeff wolpert » Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:23 am

hey yellodog1,I'm in connecticut and don't understand the term controlled hunt.Can you explain or direct me to where i might read up on this??
jeff wolpert
hunter

Postby shortround2-3/4 » Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:49 pm

What he is talking about are the State and Federal wildlife management areas that are permit only spots. You need to apply to their lottery system to get a bling site on the specific days that hunting is allowed.
2007 so far: not enough
shortround2-3/4
hunter

Postby Ron Vt » Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:44 am

So far I've had 5 controlled hunts on the Missisqiou. My hunting partner was drawn for 2, and I got 3. The first two hunts we limited in 3 1/2 hours. No decoying birds, only pass shooting; and it was opening day. The second hunt we limited in around 3 hours and again very few decoying birds. The third hunt, I did not even fire the gun. The fourth hunt yielded two teal and a grounded boat. Fortunately, there were some nice folks that were hunting in the bay and they pulled me out. The last hunt was by far the best duck hunt of my life. I must have seen over two thousand mallards. They were not landing in the decoys or locking up, a few jacked but most shots were between 25-40 yard passing shots. We were just trying to pick the greenheads and let the hens go bye. Only one bird was shot at that got away. I shot less than ten shells which was quite a difference from my fourth hunt in which I could not hit the side of a barn. I started reloading hevishot and I think this helped. I was more conservative in my choice of shot, and had no cripples. They just folded. All birds that day was shot in open water which made it easy for the dog. Last month I posted a thread where she retrieved a pintail decoy. This week she retrieved her 64th bird including 15 geese. Not bad for a 45 pould lab thats only 20 inches tall. I won't be doing any boat hunts for the next week since the U-Bolt that holds the bunker board broke. I need to drop it off as it is a custom bolt and requires a special order.
Ron Vt
hunter

Postby Ron Vt » Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:45 am

Missisquoi.
Ron Vt
hunter

Postby HuntsCTRiver » Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:59 am

can out-of-state folks apply for these controlled hunts?
HuntsCTRiver
hunter

Postby Ron Vt » Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:32 am

I think anyone with a current vermont license can apply. For the Missisquoi a dog is required. You will need a boat with a motor to get you to the spot where your blind is. Then there is a hike to your blind spot.You will need to carry all your stuff. Most blinds are a trek through marsh until you reach your spot. Each spot is diffeerent, some are tough to get too, and some are not so tough. Notice i did not say easy. There is nothing easy about the Missisquoi and be prepared to get covered in muck. Your blind spot is a stake with a number and you will need to be 100 feet within the stake.

Mud creek you don't need a dog, but you do need a canoe. Motors are not allowed. There is a small paddle and the a portage. You will have to carry your canoe and gear a couple hundred feet. Once in the big pone you can canoe to your blind stake.

Hope this helps.
Ron Vt
hunter

Return to Vermont Duck Hunting