Too cold?

Waterfowl topics at their best, post here and read others views on Vermont duck hunting

Moderator: yellodog1

Too cold?

Postby magogwhacker » Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:02 am

They're talking highs in the single digits for the weekend....you guys still hunting? It is definitely too cold for the dog, it might be too cold for me. I'm looking for somebody to call me out here and shame me into going. Bring it on.
What? There's open water? Its not cold enough.
magogwhacker
hunter

Re: Too cold?

Postby NHDuckHunter » Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:14 pm

magogwhacker wrote:They're talking highs in the single digits for the weekend....you guys still hunting? It is definitely too cold for the dog, it might be too cold for me. I'm looking for somebody to call me out here and shame me into going. Bring it on.

I thought they made them tough in Vermont, what are you from NY originally? If there's open water, I will be out there. Not so sure about the other two guys I had in the blind last weekend though... one guys feet froze to the floor. I warned him to keep moving his feet. :rofl:
NHDuckHunter
hunter

Postby goldeneye13 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:40 pm

Hey Magogwacker,
Where did you find that pile I'm really intrigued.... ??? Got a clue for good spots for the weekend? I'll sure be out there with dad on saturday and sunday morning. Only 3 weekends left to the season!!!!!

For the cold. Bough a Mr Buddy heater .... It sure comes in handy for the hands.... After putting in the decoys...
goldeneye13
hunter

Postby skiVt85 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:49 pm

We hunted South Bay last Friday at Magog with a good mess of divers and geese. Is the bay still open?
skiVt85
hunter

Postby HotDog » Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:58 pm

Deer season was such a bust that I'll forgo blackpowder and get back to the lake.
The snow tires go on tomorrow and I'll get some sand for the launch.
Last week my leg froze to the boatseat on the way out.
It ain't COLD yet!
WTN10 wrote:
"Why do you assume I'm a genius? Have you ever considered that I'm average and that you're retarded?"
HotDog
hunter

Postby goldeneye13 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:11 am

I know that last week King's bay was starting to freeze up on saturday but whit the warmer wheter my guess his that it opened back up.... Small bays like Catfish are starting to freeze up and they are pretty much bird free.

GOt better luck on saturday afternoon of my sea wall in Alburg got 4 buffies then by getting up early saturday and sunday.... Probably try the monty bay area this weekend!!!! One things for sure in the laurentien the lakes are frozed up wich means duck should just about be on the lake now!!!!
goldeneye13
hunter

Postby magogwhacker » Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:34 am

Thanks you guys....I'm feeling enough shame now that I'm going to get the boat packed tonight for Saturday morning. Couple pails of sand for the launch and a shovel and I should be all set. Maybe I'll look at one of those heaters too. I've been leery of them since I set my pants on fire ice fishing (long story) but I don't plan on being anywhere near as intoxicated duck hunting so I imagine I can probably handle it.
What? There's open water? Its not cold enough.
magogwhacker
hunter

Postby HotDog » Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:11 pm

Yeah, it's getting close to COLD now.
After a technical glitch this am we got out late.(7:00)
When the wind swung out of due WEST (it never comes out of the west) it destroyed our setup.
Dekes had 1/4 inch of ice on them. The only good was that they were blown into the reeds, so I didn't have to wade out far to get them. Apparently they don't work well in 1 to 2 foot waves.
Then an oarlock broke.
At least the motor started on the second pull.
Tommorow? Probably be right back at it.
Oh, Nothing decoying,(wind out of the west.) but, we did see birds and were suprised to see a trailer and two other trucks at the launch. Also heard some shooting nearby.
WTN10 wrote:
"Why do you assume I'm a genius? Have you ever considered that I'm average and that you're retarded?"
HotDog
hunter

Postby chambo32 » Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:07 pm

went this morning. did not get to load the gun until 8 due to one access frozen and one spot to windy to anchor. finally found a cove with a couple hundred whistlers set up and had 8 by in the boat by 10. severly lost due to the wind on top of that. only saw one other hunter. there is a lot of whistlers in alburg and north hero right now. hope to find an open access in the morning.
chambo32
hunter

Postby goldeneye13 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:40 am

Hey Chambo
Where you in kings bay on saturday morning? We (my dad an myself) got out by 9h30 at to bring the truck to the garage. Shot 3 snows that décoyed and left around noon... It was just a blast to see them swing and trying to land but the wind was so strong they had a hard time landing and we had a hard time shooting!!!
It was the fist time hunting goose on water but it ain't gona be the last.... It's a blast to see!!!!
goldeneye13
hunter

Postby chambo32 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:27 pm

No we put out at Dillenbeck, and went north. We went back on Sunday but froze solid. So went over to the other side of north hero. At about 8 we saw a group of Severly thousand birds mostly whistlers head south down the lake. I don't know if they were leaving for good or just moving, but there was still a lot of birds around after that. Anybody seeing any whistlers further down the lake.
chambo32
hunter

snow geese ?????

Postby goldeneye13 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:39 pm

Did anyone see snow geese in the southern parts of the lake since the snow strom please let me know thanks ?????
goldeneye13
hunter

Postby Ron Vt » Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:17 am

I also hunt north hero. I usually put in at the point or stony point. I was up at the park on Saturday and the ice was building on the ramp. I doubt its launchable now. My buddy has been launching at heros welcome. Does anyone know what launches are still OK to launch from in the North hero area? I will probalby muzzleload this weekend but may do a diver hunt. If I make it up there before a post I will check the boat launches and provide an update. Good luck.

Also, does anyone have the # to get a weather report for the lake?
Ron Vt
hunter

Postby goldeneye13 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:41 am

Try the launche right near Maquam bay... It expose to wind and the water gets deep. I don't like it beacause lots of rock but it may still be open!!!!
goldeneye13
hunter

Return to Vermont Duck Hunting