Ice danger

Waterfowl topics at their best, post here and read others views on Vermont duck hunting

Moderator: yellodog1

Ice danger

Postby magogwhacker » Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:32 am

Here's an interesting observation that made me decide to put the boat, decoys, and waders away for the season:

I hunted this past weekend (did nothing) and found the boat really poky and low riding by the end of the morning. I weighed it at the local landfill scale and went back the next day (thawed out) and found it 360 pounds lighter after melting off the ice. Some ice and water still remained on my grass blind.

My 1448 is rated for 4 passengers, so you can figure the ice buildup was worth 2 passengers. That means I was WAY overloaded with blind, me, decoys, etc. Consider that next time you hit the lake at 10 degrees. You definitely don't want to swim home on those days.
What? There's open water? Its not cold enough.
magogwhacker
hunter

Postby goldeneye13 » Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:03 am

You're making a good point never tough of that....
goldeneye13
hunter

Postby chambo32 » Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:54 pm

it called a heated garage...... Yeah i know it not mine but that was my solution and i know not everybody has access to one either i had to beg my mother for the last three weeks of the season cause her car would have to stay outside..... anybody go out today in the very sketchy fog could not see ten feet in front of the boat and ended up in the wrong cove at least the wrong cove was not a new york cove.
chambo32
hunter

Return to Vermont Duck Hunting