Burlaping decoys!

Waterfowl topics at their best, post here and read others views on Vermont duck hunting

Moderator: yellodog1

Burlaping decoys!

Postby goldeneye13 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:52 am

Hello you guys,
Can someone give me a hint on what would be best. I'm looking to burlap my herters foam decoys on put a layer of figergalss on them so they don't look has beatup after every season! His it a good idea? Does someone out there have a better one or some special technique?

Thanks for you're help

Fred
goldeneye13
hunter

Postby skiVt85 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:58 pm

I have homemade burlap whistler decoys that my dad and I make and store in the Avery slotted bags. We used the process described in the decoy forum thread on this website and they held up very well. They were very solid and with the firm Herters foam I bet burlapping them would make them indestructible.
skiVt85
hunter

Postby magogwhacker » Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:41 pm

Easier, cheaper, and better is the Restle style breadcrumb coating. Restle foam decoys came with an outer shell of cork dust, covered in paint. Looks great and very tough. Not as tough as the herters burlap, but looks way better. I have some home made foamers that I made last winter and they survived their first season in great shape. I think fiberglass may be too shiny and flare birds. Easy to do:

-cover decoy in water based tile mastic
-roll in fine sawdust like breading fish
-dry
-paint
-do the heads with very fine sawdust and they will look like real birds when you paint em
What? There's open water? Its not cold enough.
magogwhacker
hunter

Return to Vermont Duck Hunting