New area

Waterfowl topics at their best, post here and read others views on Vermont duck hunting

Moderator: yellodog1

New area

Postby goldeneye13 » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:21 pm

I've got a question for you guys in Vermont duck hunting. I was surfing on the net and I'm looking for public hunting areas that are not to crowded. I have a list of 5 any of you know if they are any good? They are around lake champlain. They are all state land managed by the land.

vermont side

Lower Lamoille river
Halfmoon Cove on Winooski River.
Black Creek( st-albans bay area)
Rock river in the Highgate area

NY side

Au Sable Marsh near the Au Sable Chasm river
And Wickam Marsh just North of the Port Kent Ferry

Thanks.
Fred
goldeneye13
hunter

Re: New area

Postby vt dukhntr » Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:00 pm

goldeneye13 wrote:I've got a question for you guys in Vermont duck hunting. I was surfing on the net and I'm looking for public hunting areas that are not to crowded. I have a list of 5 any of you know if they are any good? They are around lake champlain. They are all state land managed by the land.

vermont side

Lower Lamoille river
Halfmoon Cove on Winooski River.
Black Creek( st-albans bay area)
Rock river in the Highgate area

NY side

Au Sable Marsh near the Au Sable Chasm river
And Wickam Marsh just North of the Port Kent Ferry

Thanks.
Fred

A month later you get a reply. Just goes to show nobody wants to share their toys. Can't blame them. However I will fill you in on what I know.

half moon cove Looks like the mother load of places from a google satelite picture shot. It's not bad, however it's not big. There is a blind every year at the south end, and 1 or 2 at the north end. The guys in there seem to do a lot of shooting early in the season. It becomes pretty quiet later on. The few times I have been in there the ducks seem nervous, and there hasn't been a lot of chances to get shots. I think I've been in there 4 times and have shot 2 woodies, both the same day. Access isn't easy, but isn't reall hard either.

Rock River. I've heard it isn't great, fair amount of woodies early. I spoke with Bill Crenshaw one day about it, he didn't really make it sound like it would be worth my time to drive from the Burlington area. I did go into the upper part of it once just looking around a few years ago and didn't see a single duck.

Lower lamoile right by the lake is a refuge area. The area surronding it, mouth of the river (southern legs), or sandbar area, are hunted pretty heavy but can offer up some good shooting anyway if the conditions are right. The reguge area is off limits entirely, not permits, no access, STAY OUT!

I have never hunted the areas in NY that you mentioned. Always thought about going over there. My reasoning for wanting to go is that the section of NY you mention is pretty rural. Limited public lake access, and a rural area tend to lead to a little less pressure. I do however know guys go over from VT and hunt the shores over there with great success. I'm also not saying there is not going to be pressure, but find it hard to believe it's anything like we get on this side of the lake. The NY shoreline tends to be a bit more rocks, and deeper waters then we see on the VT side. I think it can lead to consolidating hunters into the better locations. The VT side has marshes and bays that provide feed and cover from the border to the southern end. NY isn't like that, and doesn't have the boat access we have.

Dave
Have you punched a PETA member today? Why not?
vt dukhntr
hunter

Postby goldeneye13 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:12 pm

Thanks for taking the time to give me some input. I'll just put energy in Black creek in st-albans and the ny side. We went fishing down the mouth of the au sable. I know it's spring but I was surprise on how many ducks you see and geese flying around. But I have to admit its very sandy bottom I see a good potentiel for some diver hunting. on some points.

I'm in the north end of the lake wich gives me good acces on both side of the lake. Just trying to find public hunting area less crowded to be able to work the ducks.

Thanks again.

Fred
goldeneye13
hunter

Return to Vermont Duck Hunting