snow goose

Waterfowl topics at their best, post here and read others views on Vermont duck hunting

Moderator: yellodog1

snow goose

Postby duckin-A » Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:21 pm

does VT have a spring snow goose season??
" I spent all my money on Liquor & Women,
and the rest I just wasted"!!!
duckin-A
hunter

Postby HJF » Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:15 pm

That would be a big negative....... Quebec opens on 4/1
HJF
hunter

Postby HuntsCTRiver » Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:25 pm

more importantly, will vermont ever have a spring snow season?
HuntsCTRiver
hunter

Postby HJF » Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:16 pm

Some day......the feds have been working on an EIS for the Greater snows, and seem to be dragging their feet for years. We came pretty close to having one this year, but the EIS did not get finished in time. Hopefully next year.
HJF
hunter

Postby HuntsCTRiver » Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:39 pm

I sure hope you guys get one. I wouldn't be able to hunt more than a couple days a year but it would be nice to hunt in the spring.
HuntsCTRiver
hunter

Postby vt dukhntr » Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:13 pm

HJF you might want to reconsider your reply. While we didn't have one this year, not sure about last year, VT had a spring (scratch that, make it early) snow goose season a few years ago. The problem is that they had it almost too early to catch the birds coming though. The years that it was available there was very limited interest and I think it was over by the first week of March. I also don't see the birds here in the spring for more then a 1 day stop over. The fall migration keeps them in the area for a few weeks, while the spring return is extremely short. Here today, gone tomorrow.

I can say as much as I love goose hunting, I could care less about snows. No interest in all at shooting them.

D
Have you punched a PETA member today? Why not?
vt dukhntr
hunter

Postby yellodog1 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:07 am

Its amazing, the amount of snow geese in upstate NY, just across the lake (Rouses Point, Plattsburgh area) compared to the #'s in Vermont. Ive been over there a few times in the last month and the numbers drop significantly once you cross the lake.
Hunt Vermont
yellodog1
State Moderator

Postby HJF » Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:21 am

vt dukhntr wrote:HJF you might want to reconsider your reply. While we didn't have one this year, not sure about last year, VT had a spring (scratch that, make it early) snow goose season a few years ago. The problem is that they had it almost too early to catch the birds coming though. The years that it was available there was very limited interest and I think it was over by the first week of March. I also don't see the birds here in the spring for more then a 1 day stop over. The fall migration keeps them in the area for a few weeks, while the spring return is extremely short. Here today, gone tomorrow.

I can say as much as I love goose hunting, I could care less about snows. No interest in all at shooting them.

D

Yes we did have a "early" spring season for a couple of years. What I was refering to was having a real conservation season after March 10, much like the lesser snow goose population in the central/missisippi flyways. This is what the EIS is about...getting us the process/info to have the season start after 3/10. And I agree with you about the birds blowing right thru and pushing the snow line in the spring.
HJF
hunter

Return to Vermont Duck Hunting